SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:32 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Mig-21 "Fishbed" Fanfold Build

While waiting for decent wind and weather to maiden the Thud, worked up 3 view last week and started this build. It's a slower build than the last few planes because I'm trying a little different method.
After the F-8 Crusader, it seeems to me that the mighty little Typhoon is perfectly matched to this size. So I'm trying to watch the weight closely and hope to come in around 30-32 oz. That's the same weight of the F-8 and it flies fantastic.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:42 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Even the American pilots in Nam thought it was a beautiful airplane. Decided to use a middle keel and formers to keep weight in check. It will be a one piece plane, no removeable wing, weight savings and the way I building it , just wouldn't be worth it.
So the wing and stab needs to be done before I can go to far on the fuse.
Wings and stab here:
Wing- 32" ws, 3/16" carbon tube, fiberglass strapping tape over each side of the tube and balsa insrts to accomodate the ailerons weighs 2.2 oz. After glassing with 0.50 cloth and one coat poly it's at 3.3 oz. with 2.9 sq ft WA
Stab- with balsa inserts for elev weighs 0.6 oz. After glassing one coat, it weighs 0.9 oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:45 AM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Wow J. You and DAF never cease to amaze me. I'll be watching progress of course!
Too bad on the weather in WY, I was hoping to see a report on the F-105 maiden soon.

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:48 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
I laid down a 1/2" keel and started the formers. Then the nose formers and sides. This is the top section, will complete it and then complete the bottom.
Fuse is 47" long. The top will be a pink foam turtle deck that is removable to access equipment. The 21's fuse tapers at both ends but the turtledeck runs straight so it's a sort of funky build. I'm just winging it and cutting parts as I determine them.
Not much to show here but this is the start of the fuse.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:51 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Thanks Paul,
I'm a little anxious too but we've been having strange weather for here. Lots of thunderstorms, and gusty winds. Forecast doesn't look good this weekend but they've been wrong before. Here's hoping!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:56 AM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Interesting progress...I'm even learning as you go. Now I'm gonna shut up for a few and let you post what you got as it comes along.

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Jun 25, 2005, 01:00 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Sorry Paul,
That's it for tonight. Tomorrow I'll make the torque tubes and cut the ailerons out. Finish those and the elev and I can attach the wing and stab and then get on with the fuse. More tomorrow night.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2005, 08:44 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,490 Posts
I love the -21. Are you gonna have this jet be a "puller", with the shock cone as the spinner?
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2005, 08:49 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Great project!!! Already thought about this ( but the cone ) sets every Impeller to inefficiency!
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Jun 25, 2005, 09:53 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Eddie, Harpye,
No it will be a pusher with the Typhoon again. I've never liked the look of jet models with props on the front. Just takes away too much from the real thing for me. And the shock cone is a trademark of the 21, hate to lose that look.
If I can keep it around 30 oz it should be one H... of a flyer.
Probably go with alum. finish, rivets too.
Got a pilot coming for it so this one will get a clear canopy.
The Thud might get clear canopies if it flies well enough. It will be a Wild Weasel scheme.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2005, 09:57 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,034 Posts
I've got an A-7 foamie with a prop up front. But the A-7 is probably one of the few planes that ever looked like a prop would be okay there. I'd prefer not to see it on the nose.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:24 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Yes,
The A-7 and it's big brother, the F-8, would look ok with prop in the nose. You can probably barely see it while flying. But I have to say, my F-8 as a pusher exceeded all my expectations as a flyer

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:42 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
A college built a F104 Starfighter 50cm WS/ 600 gram- same opinion - goes like a lightning!!!
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Jun 25, 2005, 04:29 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Harpye,
I bet that 104 does go like stink! Been eyeing building a 104, maybe a little later.
I cut out and hinged ailerons and elev today. Installed torque tubes and hooked up a HS-55 for the ailerons.
Then glued the stab and wing on my "keel". Set the wing at +1 degree and the stab at 0.
Found the point where the top of the fuse starts to taper down to the rear and set a half bulkhead. Then used a straight edge to guage the remaining blkhds. Glued them on and formed the sides by rolling the fanfold on the sharp edge of the table. Glued the bottom of them with 5 min epoxy and when dry glued the rest with Probond and taped to hold.
Next I'll work the taper down to the exhaust nozzle. After I get the rear done then will build a saddle to hold the top and finish the bottom. The bottom should be easier than the top. It has a more constant curve for quite a length of it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2005, 05:46 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,442 Posts
No stoppping you J.

Been busy at work but will catch up...

Did the A-4 again and got it under 30oz with the Typhoon. Maiden last nite flew well , quite windy and got too close to road at slow speed and kinda dork the nose. All repaired but its 100 degrees here today not sure I will fly tonte.

Will try to get some pics.

DAF
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio