HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2002, 08:09 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Guillows SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

I decided to attempt to convert the Guillows SE5A for R/C flight, I dont really have much Modeling experience, But decided to try anyway. I followed a lot of posts on this conversion, And went for it. most of the wood is from the kit with the exception of the stringers engine mount and the landing gear has been reinforced. I kept alot of details off the plane to save weight besides I didnt think it was going to fly anyway. Well much to my suprise it ROG realisticly tracked straight on the ground rose slow and straight this plane flew with no vices I must have set the thrust angle correctly for the nose didnt rise when I gave it more power. no trim changes were needed to my suprise. I guess this had to be beginners luck, Unfortunely I landed into a bush breaking off a strut which was easily repared. after I finished the Herr cub Im working on Im planning on building the Guillows Neiport for conversion. specifications are:
welght 9 oz.
3 channel rudder/elevator/throttle
Motor M100
prop GWS 9X7
battery 8 cell teig 280 nimh
rays89 is offline Find More Posts by rays89
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2002, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
Congrats on SE-5

Great, gotta send for one of those M100's. I'm using a GWS 100C ( 7-cell 280 2.8:1 gear drive) on my Guillows PT-17, I think that it'll have enough power to ROG, will find out next week if winds calm down. Hope your subsequent flights continue to go well.

I had an E-zone reader ask me if I used any of the Guillows balsa. You would think that the wood was reeeeelly bad from all of the folk lore about Guillows. They should try building Comet kits..........., and use a broken single edged razor blade, why, when I was a boy......
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 20, 2002, 08:35 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
Congradulations!!! i hope you sucsess with the future flights.Now if the AMA builds that indoor flying site, there could be some nice indoor winter nationals there!! keep it up.KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Apr 20, 2002, 10:21 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Congratulations rays89,
Looks like a great conversion.
I finally got my Guillows SE5a up too. Mine was plagued with terrible wing and tail incidence problems. After I corrected these problems, mine flew quite nicely. It is great that yours can ROG, I used piano wire LG and must have changed the configuration just enough that it cannot ROG. I used a speed 280 geared 4:1 with a 9x7 prop. It looks like the M100 is a better choice. Mine is a touch underpowered.

Nice job.
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Apr 20, 2002, 10:34 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Thanx for the compliments, The M100 motor gives this plane plenty of power. Hopefully if the weather is nice I can get some more airtime on it
Old Apr 21, 2002, 11:13 AM
Joined Mar 2002
631 Posts
Hi Rays..

i just received my se-5 in the mail (got it on ebay for 9.99) and was wondering what your frame weight is; i saw that your flying weight was 9 oz but wasn't sure about the component weight;

the balsa in the kit seems pretty light; i am going to weigh it with a scale to check out its actual weight before i start to avoid a "fat" plane;

the M100 seems like a great choice; i was thinking of the HY-50D to save a bit of weight;

thanks,

jeff
burgan is offline Find More Posts by burgan
Old Apr 21, 2002, 01:22 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,869 Posts
The M100 is a super power plant, I run it with 8 - 300 Mah NiMH batteries. I have a 7 ounce plane and it can almost hang on the prop. The Avitar is a picture of it. The Almost Ultimate. Wings, and tail surfaces are scale, but the fuselage is not as wide and the nose treatment is ...

I am building a Waco "10" at 27" span and have a GWS 300C for power. The motor looks like a 300, but the box says it is a 370. It is not much bigger than the 280, but runs at higher RPM and needs a bigger gear ratio. I bought a 370 from the LHS and it was almost as big as a 400. The 300 series from GWS has ball berings on the prop shaft, I am definately confused by the numbering system. Mabuchi doesn't help, they don't put the motor part number on the motor, at least where I can see it. Will post results when available.

I just picked up an Orion Elite Modified with custom gear reduction and am building a Henschel with a 30.5" span for that.

My goal is to put the Guillow's F4U-4 Corsair into the air. One of these motors will do it. I have the Stuka on the wall, no doubt it will fly, it won't be as critical as the Corsair.

My Guillows SE5a has Pico Stick landing gear, not scale, but works nice.

Thanks to a tip here, I went to Cleveland Air and got a set of plans for the Sikorski S-38. It is also in the in queue.

I love this hobby!

Len
LenBFP is online now Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Apr 21, 2002 at 01:31 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 03:14 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Jul 2001
213 Posts
Good job Rays89! Looks great. I think I'm going to try an m100 on my herr bonanza conversion. Glad to hear you're getting good results from it.
ETrain is offline Find More Posts by ETrain
Old Apr 21, 2002, 05:03 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Jeff
I believe the airframe weight about 3.9 OZ. I had another set of electrics laying around so I wieghed them with the batterry which came out at 5.1 oz. I also used Nelson litefilm on the airframe its glossy so it doesnt look scale but I really dont want to deal with tissue and dope. Its raining so no flight today. I have a feeling this plane is only going to last a few flights. It does move at a rather fast pace, and I think one mistake is all its going to take to make it a pile of matchsticks. But its a fun plane and if I have to do it all over again I would definetly do it.
With the Herr Cub I have I plan on using the Orion Elite motor for it. after that I plan on doing another guillows conversion. Like I posted earlier I have the guillows Neiport but looking at the vertical stab I might have problems with the rudder. I gues I figure that out when I get there.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 10:17 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Good Show Rays89! Yes, "Balsa Flies Better" (to quote Guillow's ).
SE5's Rule!
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; Feb 07, 2003 at 12:45 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 11:17 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I love those pictures! There's something about biplanes... I just love seeing and building them
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 22, 2002, 06:06 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Gerald your right balsa does fly better. You web site showing the SE5A conversion was what gave me the motivation on trying to build one, I really wasnt expecting to have much success. So when It performed the way it did it was a total rush. The conversion is rather easy also. I even bought another SE5a kit which I will give more detail. All I can say is if anyone want a good performing Biplane while not spending to much cash the guillows SE5a is the way to go. you can get them for about 10 bucks a pop on Ebay.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 10:38 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Was yours built from one of the new laser cut versions? This series of WWI fighters is all available laser cut now. I just finished a Thomas Morse S4C Scout but don't have any room left in my website space to post it.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Apr 22, 2002, 10:49 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
It was one of the "crush cut" older kits but it wasnt to bad most of the wood was ok. It kind of made it a challenge cutting the pieces out with out ruining the part. Ive been following your Morse Scout project looks real sweet, I just cant really figure on how you constructed the airrlons yet. I dont have any experience with airelons. I guess when I get a four channel plane its gonna be a trainer type in which I wont have to put much time in constructing.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 05:53 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
Hi,
I just happened across this post when I realized that I just bought a Guillows kit and have only framed up the fuse so far. I was wondering where could I find the M100 and about what do they cost normally?
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22