SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2005, 06:55 PM
Bath, PA
Joined Nov 2001
308 Posts
Are AXIs worth the cost?

Hi Guys:

I'm still just getting going in the electric side of the hobby. I'm looking to get a new outrunner for my GP Cap Flatout. I'm considering the AXI 2208 34 vs. the Rimfire setup from GP. There's about a $40.00 difference in price once you add the accessories to the AXI.

My question is are the AXI's worth the extra dollars? Why? I like high quality products, but I would like to understand where the value is in the AXI motor.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Regards,
Lee Snover
lsnover is offline Find More Posts by lsnover
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:09 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,083 Posts
it IS a decent motor, no arguement form anyone on that score. .. Possible alternate is the MPJet Red or Blue outrunner.. V similar performance, a bit cheaper and the extras are included.
Best to avoid the Chinese 'copies'.. till you know exactly what you are buying.. Paying a few $ extra is only annoying.. buying some thing that proves Substandard in use is Lots more frustrating.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:34 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnover
Hi Guys:

I'm still just getting going in the electric side of the hobby. I'm looking to get a new outrunner for my GP Cap Flatout. I'm considering the AXI 2208 34 vs. the Rimfire setup from GP. There's about a $40.00 difference in price once you add the accessories to the AXI.

My question is are the AXI's worth the extra dollars? Why? I like high quality products, but I would like to understand where the value is in the AXI motor.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Regards,
Lee Snover
Axi's are good, but have you considered the Hacker A20 outrunners? I have both, and the Hacker is a notch less expensive than the AXI, comes with several motor and prop mounting options and two extra shafts, plus it can handle more power input... hard to beat IMHO.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:45 PM
Bath, PA
Joined Nov 2001
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Axi's are good, but have you considered the Hacker A20 outrunners? I have both, and the Hacker is a notch less expensive than the AXI, comes with several motor and prop mounting options and two extra shafts, plus it can handle more power input... hard to beat IMHO.
Yep, looked at the Hackers too. Just wondered what the differences are. I have a E-Flite Park 370 in a Tensor and it seems OK to me. But I know you usually get what you pay for. Someone had to cut some corners somewhere to get the cheaper units. If it's just Chinese vs. European labor, then maybe it doesn't matter much.

Thanks!
Lee
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:51 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,494 Posts
Hacker smokes the Axi in performance. Hacker includes way more accessories. To my eye, the only question worth asking is "should I buy the bargain outrunner or the Hacker?"
adamg is offline Find More Posts by adamg
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:53 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnover
Yep, looked at the Hackers too. Just wondered what the differences are. I have a E-Flite Park 370 in a Tensor and it seems OK to me. But I know you usually get what you pay for. Someone had to cut some corners somewhere to get the cheaper units. If it's just Chinese vs. European labor, then maybe it doesn't matter much.

Thanks!
Lee
If you search for motor test data by Dr. Kiwi, you find the Axi, Hacker, and Torque outrunners have identical power vs rpm (thrust) curves for a given prop. The only difference is the Hacker and Torque motors can handle more power (based on manufacturer's suggested max amp limits). I think AXI's are more conservatively stated, and the difference in performance is virtually nil, but there is a cost/extras difference, and Hacker wins that battle hands down.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:01 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Go with the Hacker! Equiv. performance but the Hacker is a better value. I've never bought an AXI because I always thought they were overpriced. Also I tested one of my single stator motors to the AXI and got very similar performance...the AXI looks better than my cd rom motor but I liked the value and the performance was similar! There are others that would work well here also, like Little Screamers and MicroDan.
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:04 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
The AXI motors are really durable and widely used, but they're heavy..

How about a double stator CD motor?
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:10 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,043 Posts
Go with Hacker or AXI and you won't go wrong.
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:24 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Axi's are built like rocks. They are very durable, but may give up a little in efficiency and weight vs. some of the others. I use mostly Axi's but have also had good luck with the Nippy Black 0808/98 and 1812/100. The new Hyperion from Aircraft World also looks very good.

I have no experience with the Hackers or CD's, but the Hackers have a good reputation and are priced right. The CD rom's can vary greatly in quality and efficiency.

If you are never going to crash, probably something less expensive than the Axi will serve you better. The Axi has a very robust motor shaft and bell and will survive some horrendous crashes. (Ask me how I know)

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Jun 25, 2005, 03:17 AM
Airdrie, AB Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,049 Posts
Bottom line is they were really first to capture the market. They priced accordingly. They haven't quite adjusted to the influx of cheap alternatives imho. They still have such a broad range of motors in comparison to most others that they'll always have a decent following.

If the Hacker A20 will work for you... pretty hard not to see it as the value/performace leader right now.

Haven't gone for the himaxx or chinese cheapo outrunners yet. But the eflight 370 is a decent value. And personally I think the Hyperion 30xx series is the bomb in it's class right now. Soon to be matched by Hacker A30's. But Axi has been in that space forever.

Love my Axi's bring on the Hackers, and Hyperions.

Mike
mjws is offline Find More Posts by mjws
Old Jun 25, 2005, 03:34 AM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
Hyperion motors are another choice that are a notch or two less expensive. Aircraft World has em.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Jun 25, 2005, 05:15 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2004
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg
Hacker smokes the Axi in performance. Hacker includes way more accessories. To my eye, the only question worth asking is "should I buy the bargain outrunner or the Hacker?"
I'd hardly say that Hacker outrunners smoke AXI's. There are many threads on the Hackers. Try:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343856
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365180

Especially pay attention to the posts on this page:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0&page=7&pp=15

Basically, both are very good motors. I have AXI's now and was thinking about selling one to buy a Hacker but the very similar performance just doesn't seem worth the hassle. I'll wait until I actually need another motor to try the Hacker.

AXI 2212's can be bought from various webstores for $65. Hacker A20's run about $70. Hackers do include a back mount, prop adapter, and extra shafts though. Something to consider.
tran1172 is offline Find More Posts by tran1172
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:19 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
you find the Axi, Hacker, and Torque outrunners have identical power vs rpm (thrust) curves for a given prop
Er, Tom ANY motor will give you the same thrust power and RPM figures on the same prop...

The key is which one draws the least power to do it...

In that class the Hacker is the best, then I suspect the MPjet, then the AXI, and the cheapos some way behind.

However in terms of value for money and more than ADEQUATE performance, I am sticking to Sagami brushed motors and the odd cobalt and teh mabuch cans..

I can get almost unlimited vertical out of sonme of them and more than enough power for any scale project (except maybe EDF) so I'll spend the money on LIPOS instead. Yum yum!
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:33 AM
Bath, PA
Joined Nov 2001
308 Posts
Thanks for the info. guys.

Unfortunately, you are giving me MORE options not making it any easier to decide.

The Hackers seem to be an up and coming favorite. Does anyone have anything good to say about the GP Rimfire vs. the AXIs and Hackers?

Thanks for all the advice!

Regards,
Lee