SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2005, 08:44 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2003
273 Posts
Plans for something like a 4*40, astro hog??

HI
I am planning on building a nice flying sports model something like an astro hog or 4*40 .
I am aiming at 12 cells 3000ma nimh and an outrunner ( yet to decide which one) .
I want to scratch build so am looking for a plan for something like them (hopefully free)
Any thoughts???
Rob
robertjusher is offline Find More Posts by robertjusher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:15 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjusher
HI
I am planning on building a nice flying sports model something like an astro hog or 4*40 .
I am aiming at 12 cells 3000ma nimh and an outrunner ( yet to decide which one) .
I want to scratch build so am looking for a plan for something like them (hopefully free)
Any thoughts???
Rob
if you look around the web, you're bound to find some bootleg copies of either.

Tell you what - seeing as you don't want to buy a plan off Sig - they sell the 4*40 plan, BTW and it would be real easy to scratch build off it - why don't you come round my house and borrow mine. I live just outside Washington, DC

The AstroHog would be too hefty for 12 cells, the 4*40, either standard or the heavily modified version there's perhaps more of than 'standards', would make a good 12 cell bird. Mine tears the sky open on 14, more so on 16. The "Pollutionless Pig" is a stripped out, lightweight clone of the AstroHog, but it's not up for sale these days, best I know. The designer used to sell part-kits, but it was just too much work and effort.

Failing that, design the 'next step' in 12 cell low wing sports aerobatic models yourself, sell the plan to a magazine and go for 'negative cash flow' on the plan - mags actually pay, unlike the internet model of giving stuff away...

Hope that helps

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:41 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2003
273 Posts
Thanks for the advice...
I might draw something up but not sure if i can design something that a mag would buy..... just be happy if it flys well
Old Jun 25, 2005, 01:08 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2003
273 Posts
HI again
Just noticed that all of my chargers are only good for 10 cells so i guess that is my new limit as another cgarge is out of the question at the moment...
new ideas required,,,,,,
Rob
Old Jun 25, 2005, 03:42 AM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
Free plans: Bubbles
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old Jun 25, 2005, 07:47 AM
OZZIEJAP
Australia, VIC, Mount Waverley
Joined Sep 2004
188 Posts
Quote:
HI again
Just noticed that all of my chargers are only good for 10 cells so i guess that is my new limit as another cgarge is out of the question at the moment...
new ideas required,,,,,,
Rob
You can always parallel 2 6packs? That's what I did since my charger can only handle 8 cells.
digigarb is offline Find More Posts by digigarb
Old Jun 25, 2005, 09:04 PM
Dizzying Heights
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digigarb
You can always parallel 2 6packs? That's what I did since my charger can only handle 8 cells.
I would not recommend this, NiCad's do not parallel together very well at all, unlike LiPo. Nicads are usually VERY unbalanced between packs, and connecting them in parallel will usually cause one to charge the other, resulting in lots of heat buildup.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:53 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeantSpark
I would not recommend this, NiCad's do not parallel together very well at all, unlike LiPo. Nicads are usually VERY unbalanced between packs, and connecting them in parallel will usually cause one to charge the other, resulting in lots of heat buildup.
But if you use two 6 cell packs, you can charge them seperately and then hook them in series (for a 12 cell configuration) in the plane. If you have two chargers, they can both be charging at the same time.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:04 AM
England
Joined Jan 2004
64 Posts
Plans for Asro Hog 40

You can obtain plans for a 58.5" version of Fred Dunn's Astro Hog from :
www.modelflying.co.uk

Just insert Astro Hog 40 in the shop search field to find the plan quickly.
XFG1 is online now Find More Posts by XFG1
Old Jun 26, 2005, 03:42 PM
Dizzying Heights
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr
But if you use two 6 cell packs, you can charge them seperately and then hook them in series (for a 12 cell configuration) in the plane. If you have two chargers, they can both be charging at the same time.
Yep, no problem with Series wiring, I have done it before on a 4x sp400 model with a couple of un used 7 cell packs.

But parallel is another matter.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 08:15 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
HI again
new ideas required,,,,,,
Rob
Ten cell is a great way to fly - I've had more ten cell models than much else, and intend to work up a really good one for next year. My "Puts-E" own design has been flying since 2002 and still is one of my favourites :https://sslrelay.com/s84068217.onean...dex.shopscript

Except they seem to have lost the photo, but that's life!

Depending on your motor and cells, you can get from around 300W to 400W+ from a ten cell rig. That can make for a lively model if you do it right. The size also plays into 3S firestarter country, though you're going to pay for a decent lipo pack and charger - I'm going to take a hard look at the new smaller cased 2000-ish mA NiMh first before the next project.

D
Old Jun 27, 2005, 09:39 AM
Chilliwack, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
710 Posts
My 4*40 flies on a axi 2820 10 on 10 sanyo gp 3300 cells.I cut down the wing12", flies great very quick snap rolls not a floater however with no power on .Total weight is 4lb,I think if i only took 1 bay on each wing half it would be a floater with no power on and still snap roll nice.
fourstarforty is offline Find More Posts by fourstarforty
Last edited by fourstarforty; Jun 27, 2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:35 AM
foo
Monroe, Louisiana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
323 Posts
I fly two Bubbles with endos,gp-600 2/1 gb,8 cells,about 3#,11/7 props.Good planes.
foo is offline Find More Posts by foo
Old Jun 27, 2005, 04:35 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2003
273 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice !!!!
I like the plane Dereck, but 10 pound with postage to Australia is more than this cheep bloke is going to pay......
I will put pen to paper and try to draw something like a 4*40 at 60 ish inch span and might look at an axi 282010 or even this
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3312
HP-z3530.
The figures look good on ten cells...
Thanks
Rob
Old Jun 28, 2005, 08:15 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to all for the advice !!!!
I like the plane Dereck, but 10 pound with postage to Australia is more than this cheep bloke is going to pay......
I will put pen to paper and try to draw something like a 4*40 at 60 ish inch span and might look at an axi 282010 or even this
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3312
HP-z3530.
The figures look good on ten cells...
Thanks
Rob
As you're cheap, I'll remind you of Keith Shaw's words of wisdom at the usual internet going rate (if anyone else said them - sorry, okay?)

"Buy cheap, buy twice"

Dereck