HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:00 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Taig lathe on sale at Hobby Lobby

Hi

I've been thinking about getting a small lathe for a while. The micro Taig lathe is on sale now at Hobby Lobby. Has anyone used it to make some custom outrunner bells and motor mounts? Would it be possible to control this via CNC at a later time?

Thanks,
-Hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Last edited by flybike; Jun 23, 2005 at 04:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:44 PM
leh
Zoom - Crash - Repeat...
Decatur, IL
Joined Nov 2004
51 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing. I've seen a few converted to CNC. Check the following link:

http://www.avatartools.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=Taig

I'm also looking at the Central Machinery model available at Harbor Freight. Lot's of info on that lathe at http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm
leh is offline Find More Posts by leh
Old Jun 23, 2005, 05:28 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,664 Posts
Taig built motors

Hans,

I use the Taig. It is very good for cdrom motor building. It is small and light. It takes up very little bench space, and can be stored on a closet shelf when not in use. This suits me as space is a premium in my shop.

The Harbor Freight/Grizzly type lathes might be better if you have the room. They can be used for larger projects.

Whichever way you go will be alot of fun.

Morris

Some Taig built motor pics.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:25 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,484 Posts
Hi Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybike
Hi

I've been thinking about getting a small lathe for a while. The micro Taig lathe is on sale now at Hobby Lobby. Has anyone used it to make some custom outrunner bells and motor mounts? Would it be possible to control this via CNC at a later time?

Thanks,
-Hans
IMHO they are only suitable for jobbing ie making one offs.
the amount of material that can be removed in one pass is not very much so the process takes much longer,you would be better to spend the money on a good digital readout system that takes its measurements from the slides not the rotary screw on any lathe, if you want to produce quantities look for a machine thats designed for mass production second hand and refurbish it ,reason being you learn about the machine as you go ,a lot of tooling usually comes with them and advice,they usually are fitted with collet chucks so you can auto bar feed them all sorts of advantages too numerous to mention here,I believe little screamers have an open invitation to anyone who wants to have a look at their mfg, maybe you could get a chance to go have a look at what is really needed for substainable production.
cheers .
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:29 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,484 Posts
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM
Hans,

I use the Taig. It is very good for cdrom motor building. It is small and light. It takes up very little bench space, and can be stored on a closet shelf when not in use. This suits me as space is a premium in my shop.

The Harbor Freight/Grizzly type lathes might be better if you have the room. They can be used for larger projects.

Whichever way you go will be alot of fun.

Morris

Some Taig built motor pics.
Nice work morris are you using hss cutters? finish looks too good to be carbide , is that a reversable pitch prop setup i see ? cheers.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:11 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
Nice work morris are you using hss cutters? finish looks too good to be carbide , is that a reversable pitch prop setup i see ? cheers.
Hi olmod

I have carbide cutters, but use hss on aluminum. The carbide works well on the cast iron pipe fittings I sometimes use for flux rings. The aluminum is polished on most of the motors in the pics. And yes, I have been working on a VP prop. It is pretty much completed, but I don't have an airframe to try it on right now.

Morris
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:16 PM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Thanks for the input. Nice work Morris.

I do like that the taig is small and light- and I'd probably never use it for anything much bigger than a CD motor. How would it compare to the one at harbor freight? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33684

Olmod, when you say auto bar feed, what does this mean? The harbor freight one says "automatic feed", is this the same? I see that you can buy a digital readout for the harbor freight model for $129- it might make a nice upgrade at a later time.

Thanks,
-Hans
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:35 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybike
Olmod, when you say auto bar feed, what does this mean? The harbor freight one says "automatic feed", is this the same? I see that you can buy a digital readout for the harbor freight model for $129- it might make a nice upgrade at a later time.

Thanks,
-Hans
Instead of a 3 or 4 jaw chuck to hold you work they use a different chucking pricipal ,very much like the collet chuck on a dremel,with collets to suit what ever shape of bar stock you want to use and the bar material is fed through the mainshaft of the lathe, the digital readout is ok but they still suffer from discrepencies because of play in the lead screw and thrust bearing,the other type i mentioned take a direct reading from the position of the actual moving part of the lathe ,so any lash in the system does not affect the posistion of the cutter,and you get true readings.
cheers.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:39 PM
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Thanks olmod. How would I make the off-center cooling holes in a bell with the ones on harbor freight? Would the taig and a 3 jaw chuck allow this?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:28 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,484 Posts
This was PDK's

contrabution to olmods motor build ,please check the thread im sure you will find other good tips there also http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=57
cheers .