SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:34 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Full Scale AP - Father's Day Dream Flight!

I flew out to Washington from Michigan to spend Father's day with my daughter and attend the Olympic Flight Museum's Warbird Fly in and air show. My daughter is an airplane geek like her dad and works as a volunteer for the museum. She is friends with most of the warbird guys and airshow pilots. For her Father's day gift to me, she arranged a ride with her friend and airshow pilot Bill Shepard in his WWII era 1300HP Russian Yak11 warbird. We flew out of Tumwater and around the Olympia area, then joined formation with my favorite P51, the American Beauty flown by airshow pilot and all around nice guy, Bud Granley. We flew over the airfield in formation for a military-style break before landing. How cool is that! My only regret is that I didn't take any shots while we were upside down.

Later, I had a chance to fly backseat in a 3 ship formation in a Chipmonk while the Cascade Warbird guys practiced their formation flying. Like a dunce, I left the camera in the car.

In the first picture below, I'm the one in the flight suit, oddly enough, with Bill Shepard. This was taken after the flight so the big grin is genuine.

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:46 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,804 Posts
Wow, what a thrill and what a great daughter for setting that up for you. Great pics and story.
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:17 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
You lucky dog - my daughter is only a month old... she can't pull any tricks like that for me... yet.

glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:11 AM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Thanks for the pics...
Thats my old stomping ground!
brings back plenty of memories 15 years ago (I lived in Tumwater, WA)

-dave
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:52 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I need to get a job at a museum!
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Jun 24, 2005, 08:12 AM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Update - New Air-To-Air Pictures

My daughter just sent me the pictures that she took from our fomation flying session with the Cascade Warbirds. We were in a 3 ship flight with two L17's and the DHC1 Chipmunk that I was in. The shots were taken from the L17 that was flying lead in the formation.

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI