HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:27 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Need Help! - Printer Won't print Blue.

I was printing some photos on my newer (6 months old) Epson C86 Photo Inkjet Printer. However, after a few prints, it told me that the "Cyan" cartridge was low & needed to be changed. I grabbed a new Cyan cartridge & installed it in the printer but then It would not print in Cyan (Blue) because Doh! I forgot to pull off the yellow Tab tape from the cartridge so I pulled it back out & removed the tab & stuck it back in. However, it still will not print in Cyan, when I do the cleaning & line test, I only get a tiny bit of Cyan & have tried several cleaning routines. Is the Cyan jet clogged? Is there any way to clear it? Do I just need to get a new Cyan cartridge?

- Thanks -

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:59 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Every so often I have to clean the print head with a Q tip & isopropyl alcohol. Keep sopping it on until no color comes of on the Q tip, let dry completely, and try printing.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:42 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
As Dog says. Mine is premanently a bit clogged. It takes me hours to get it cleaned.

I often end up soaking te base in warm water. Its always Cyan that is the worst No idea why.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:59 AM
Santo, Tx.
Joined Aug 2003
134 Posts
I have an Epson C80 that will only print blue, want to swap?
Blazer is offline Find More Posts by Blazer
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:04 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,916 Posts
My C64 prints black and cyan, it is amost new! No more Epson for me.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:07 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Irsudog:
Thanks, I assume that I will have to remove the Cyan cartridge to get to the print head? Do I have to remove "All" the cartridges or just the Cyan?

-Thanks-

Mike
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:30 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman
Irsudog:
Thanks, I assume that I will have to remove the Cyan cartridge to get to the print head? Do I have to remove "All" the cartridges or just the Cyan?

-Thanks-

Mike
I don't know how your printer is set up, but on mine the printing head is itself a removable cartridge, which holds the ink cartridges. I remove the ink pots, then unsnap the printer head and break out the alcohol & Q tips.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:31 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Ink drying in the nozzles is very common on Epson printers.

I have an older Epson 660 color printer that I had stored for about a year. Of course, I didn't prep it first, and when I eventually pulled it out to use, it wouldn't print <surprise>.

I bought one of those cheap inkjet printer cleaner kits on the web (since I didn't know what solvent would work best). It cost me less than $6 + shipping--a lot for a vial of solvent, but when you don't know what the solvent is.... Whatever they use in them, it works. I suspect it's carbon tetrachloride, but I can't be sure. I just followed the directions, and it freed up all the nozzles after two applications.

I have read that scalding hot water is sometimes successful in dissolving the dried ink too, but have never tried it.

The moral of the Epson story is to print something in color at least once a week to keep the nozzles from clogging with dried ink.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Jun 22, 2005, 01:15 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
The strange part is that I had printed about (8) 4x6 Photos when the "Change Cartridge" screen had come up, how do you get dried ink when you just printed 8 perfect pictures a few minutes before. I guess I will try & do a manual cleaning with alcohol & see if I can get the Cyan ink moving again. I bought this printer because I absolutely LOVED my Epson 670, it was pretty bullet proof & after 3 Solid Years of printing & no clogs it was still working great, If I can't get this printer working again, this will be my last Epson because 6 Months of life is unacceptable.

-Thanks-

Mike
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:56 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
In case you all didn't know HP includes a new head with every ink purchase. They use "thermal" jetting meaning that the head get boiling hot to spit out the little ink drops. Because you get a new head everytime you refill ink you must do a head alignment everytime you change ink.

Epson uses a "piezo" design that is said to be better. Piezo heads force the ink out under mechanical pressure. Epson heads stay with the printer when you replace ink so you do not get a new head every time. This has 2 advantages. One is the "smaller drop" technology and the other is that the heads only need to be aligned once. The disadvantage is that the heads clog up and need to be cleaned. They are also a much bigger pain in the behind to remove so I usually just let em auto clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman
, how do you get dried ink when you just printed 8 perfect pictures a few minutes before.

You may be out of ink in one color, the monitor is not perfect. No way the ink dried out that quick.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:56 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
fwiw ... I've had my share of HP/Canon/Epson printers, and have not really found a problem with permanent printheads vs. new-each-time ink carts. Just last week I pulled out my Epson 875DC from 9+ month storage - I had to perform head cleaning something like 6 times, followed by a lousy 4x6 test print. After that, it performed flawlessly printing long panoramas. I've always used mfg's paper and ink; I've since abandoned HP's (partly it's no longer the HP that it used to be, imo), the new Canon Pixma's are great, but I still come back to Epson time after time (had some great experience with their Pro 4000 series).

Man, I still remember pay $400+ for a BJC4000!
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:52 AM
now that's a wattmeter...
Singapore
Joined May 2002
1,136 Posts
I don't even bother with bubble jets anymore... got myself a used Laserjet and have been happy since.

Toners last a LONG time for home use and they don't really have any expiry dates (well the drum does, but those are in the order of 3-4 years, not months).
simingx is offline Find More Posts by simingx
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:54 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
mrebman,
Don't blame the printer if you're still using those cheap third party ink cartridges from eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
The moral of the Epson story is to print something in color at least once a week to keep the nozzles from clogging with dried ink.
I also have a Epson 660 and had exactly the same experience. When it printed it looked great.
Unfortunately it spent a LOT of time clogged.

I replaced it last year with an HP Photo printer that I use infrequently but it NEVER clogs. It produces outstanding prints. I doubt I'll ever buy an Epson ever again.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:32 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
mrebman,
Don't blame the printer if you're still using those cheap third party ink cartridges from eBay.

I also have a Epson 660 and had exactly the same experience. When it printed it looked great.
Unfortunately it spent a LOT of time clogged.

I replaced it last year with an HP Photo printer that I use infrequently but it NEVER clogs. It produces outstanding prints. I doubt I'll ever buy an Epson ever again.
Hot Dog! I got the printer working again, I cleaned the area around the nipple that punctures the bottom of the cartridge & now all inks are flowing correctly.

P.S. - I have used the Ebay "Third Party" cartridges for YEARS in both my 670 & C86 & never had a problem & I don't think I blamed them at all in this thread. I will never buy another Epson cartridge, the Ebay cartrides are NEW, Vacuum Sealed & ISO 9000, Use em they're Great! Nuff said.

- Mike -
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:59 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Oops, I forgot, last night I ordered (9) Ebay Ink cartridges - (3) Black (2) Cyan (2) Red (2) Yellow - Package Price = $20.99 + $6.95 Shipping = $27.94 Total, You would be lucky to buy (1 or 2) overpriced Epson cartridges for that, I should be set for the remainder of the year assuming the printer doesn't crap out on me.

P.S. - My C86 Printer seems to print darker than my 670 did, has anybody figured out how to lighten the print? Is there a setting in Film Factory? I checked Film Factory & there doesn't seem to be a setting for brightness, am I missing something?

- Thanks -

Mike