HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2002, 02:25 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,241 Posts
My Old Coverite Gee Bee Model E

I built this ship over 20 yar ago, the Enya 46 4S died on the far side of Mile Square and I managed to stall and crash busting the wing. I finally got the wing rebuilt with the scalloped Gee Bee paint job and wing numerals. I have installed an ancient OS .40 FSR 2-stroke that is running and idling well. I have been mostly flying electric rudder/elev/esc planes lately and will have to remember to which is the rudder and which is the aileron stick. The "maiden" second flight will take place at El Toro ( So CA) next week if weather is good. It's a tad nose heavy, thank goodness. As I recall the plane flew rather slowly and the big round fuselage seemed to add to the lift at climbing angles. Will land with power-on fairly hot like with my P51 Fun Mustang.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2002, 07:09 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
Welcome E-Challenged,

I built a 1/4 scale Gee Bee E many years back. It was a real 'pussy-cat' to fly, but like yours, it slowed down very quickly on landing approach. It is definitely a power on landing.
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Last edited by Mike Smart; Apr 20, 2002 at 07:11 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2002, 03:31 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,241 Posts
Gee Bee E Pic

Here's a pic of my ole Gee Bee E taken today
Old Apr 20, 2002, 03:36 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,241 Posts
Try Again, Pic of Gee Bee E

Don't know what happened, tried preview, here goes nuthin!
Old Apr 20, 2002, 03:39 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,241 Posts
Okay Here's Another Pic

Here goes nuthing once more!
Old Apr 20, 2002, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
Looks good E-Challenged,

The Skip Tilbert markings. Let us know how the second maiden flight goes.

Mike
Old Apr 20, 2002, 08:15 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,241 Posts
Pilot Clark Gabel

Forgot to mention my pilot came out looking a lot like Clark Gabel as he looked in his pilot's costume on an old billboard smoking a Camel cigarette in the late 30's when I was born. Will report on flight performance, more importantly the happyfirst landing. Did you "burl" your aluminum instrument panel, I did, but it's pretty dull from oxidation now.

Some company in Canada is producing these kits again and I understand the quality is better.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
I gave it my best shot, but it was litho plate glued on a balsa backing.

Mike
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:35 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,241 Posts
Oops!

I had planned to carefully do high speed taxi tests before lift-off, disregarded these plans. I have been flying rudder/elevator electrics recently with rudder on aileron stick. Plane veered to the left kept giving right aileron by mistake, hit a barricade and busted left wing. It probably would have flown well. Lesson re-learned, sit at home and rehearse with plane and transmitter when switching from simple electrics to 4-channel, practice take of run and resist urge to lift off . Wing will be easy to repair but recovering with Coveite, priming , painting, scalloped wing trim and trim film wing numerals will take some work. I won't be so apprehensive next time. Duh!!
Old Apr 25, 2002, 05:19 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
E-Challenged,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I had hoped that it would fly successfully and we could keep this thread going, as we seem to be the only ones visiting this forum!

Mike
Old Apr 25, 2002, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,241 Posts
Continuing This Thread

I haven't given up. Will have wing repaired and "good as old" in about a week. Made patterns for shattered ribs this am, will add ply doublers for LE and spars. Recovering and finish will be a little painful.

I/C lovers on other newsgroups need to be made aware of this one. Will mention this one on "rec.models.rc.air"
Old Jul 10, 2002, 10:33 AM
Manchester, England
Joined Jul 2002
10 Posts
I used to have the Coverite Gee Bee model D

Fantastic flyer, rock steady - I used to use it at scale pylon racing events in the 1980s.

Wheel spats took a pounding from the grass though...
Martin W is offline Find More Posts by Martin W
Old Jul 29, 2002, 09:30 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Gee Bee

Hello fellow Gee Bee pilots! I am a new member and this is the first message I have posted. I am a student again at the ripe old age of 38 and have finished my first year of autocad drafting at a local community college (vocational rehabilitation because of a minor disability) and as a first project I designed and drafted plans for an 88" span R-2. I also designed a belt reduction unit for a 41cc "weedeater" engine that is turning a Topflite Powerpoint 24x10 prop. I will let all know how it works out when finished. Also plan to sell my plans in future when first model is built and bugs are worked out of plans.<><><><><>J.B.
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Old Jul 29, 2002, 11:29 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,194 Posts
Re: Pilot Clark Gabel

Quote:
Originally posted by E-Challenged
Some company in Canada is producing these kits again and I understand the quality is better.

yup ........'bout 70 miles down the road......

http://www.adrianpage.com/

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Aug 06, 2002, 05:56 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2002
9 Posts
Gee Bee

I had a free flight Gee Bee, one of the cockpit in front of the rudder versions, I can't seem to recall the name, with an 049, and it flew a few times succesfully. Then one day, aftyer a few flights, it went up fine, came down at top speed and disintegrated. Even the motor was wrecked. Oh well.
Code Red is offline Find More Posts by Code Red