HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:28 AM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
Rotary Cutter To Cut FFF And Coroplast, it puts a razor knife to shame!

I had posted a thread previously regarding using a Rotary Cutter to cut FFF and Coroplast. I had a few postings in that thread from a few of you, but I think due to the thread title that many of you folks may have not checked it out, or may not have taken it seriously.

Last week I bought a Fiskars Rotary Cutter at Walmart, and to night I got it out and put it to work. I am working on a wing design simular to a Slow Stick wing, but in order to force it to maintain it's shape I am going to glue the equivilent to wing rib on the under side. I got my pattern and form out, and then setup the stuff for the Rotary Cutter. It actually took me longer to trace the 10" rib pattern on to the foam than it did to cut it out. I cut out 12 flat bottomed ribs in just about the same number of minutes. Every cut left nice clean square edge, and smooth round curves on the front part of the ribs. The Fiskars Rotary Cutter that I am using can use 45mm and 65mm blades, and you can extend a 65mm blade out to the 45mm position to allow about 1/2" of cutting depth. This same Rotary Cutter cost me about $14 at Walmart.

I suspect since you have read this far into the posting that it may be of interest to you. Below is the link to the original thread about the Rotary Cutter which container some additional details on this device!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378840

I am kind of new to this forum stuff, so just in case the above link doesn't do right, here in the link so you can cut and paste it into your browser's address box.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378840

I am looking forward to hearing some additional feed back from you all! If you have any questions at all about this just let me know and I will do my best to provide a satifactory answer.

Eboggs59
eboggs59 is offline Find More Posts by eboggs59
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:15 AM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
I have a hard enough time tracing over Gene's , GPW's,TOG,and Waterdogs plans with the regular disp blade knife that we all use. I usually havve to stand off the side a little to make sure I following the line correctly.I would think it would make it even harder to cut with these cutters due to even more area of obstruction(esp along curves).I didn't see anyone's responses regarding this in the previous thread.Being able to cut through 3 sheets is great if I know I can see what I am trying to cut over.Older I get, the more blurry the world becomes.Thoughts on this?(not the blurry vision, but ease of tracing . Thanks, Dave
9LIVES1968 is offline Find More Posts by 9LIVES1968
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:02 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Eboggs.
I have watched my wife use these to cut fabric, and they look pretty good. I will not try hers on foam because I value my life , but I may pick up my own.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
9LIVES1968,

I have gotten like yourself over the last few years with the blurry vision, so I can relate to what your talking about.

The way you are cutting with a rotary wheel is a bit different than with a razor knife. When the blade is cutting it has a very smooth progressive way of cutting. As the wheel rotates moving forward, it is continously working it's way through the foam. Also, instead of holding it say like a pencil in your hand, you have a full hand grip on it so you have excellent control. Myself with a knife find myself drawing the knife slowly towards me. With a rotary cutter, myself, the cut is made by pushing away. I, like yourself, watch the cut from the side and the side of the wheel is totally exposed and visible. Comparitively, it is like the difference between using a knife and a pizza cutting wheel on a pizza.

When it comes to fine detail in those corner, the razor knife is the tool of choice. But when it comes to those long initial cuts that so many of us do, use a nice long metal or plastic straight edge and run right down the side of it. I did a 4' rip cut on some foam just the other day, and it took only seconds and left me with nice clean square edges with no impression or drag marks in the foam. I have even had to do a little edge shaving on foam, and successfully taken off paper thin trimmings.

I realize that the razor knife can never be replaced, but I do think that you will find times when the rotary cutter makes the job either easier or faster.

I'm not out to say the rotary cutter is the golden tool of all tools. I am just saying it is a new idea that might help some of us. I am also hoping that several of the fellas in here will give it a good shake down, and post just exactly what their thoughts and opinions are.

Whether it be good, bad, or endifferent I encourage everyone to speakup and say their piece!
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:24 PM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
<My $.02>

I got a Olfa rotary cutter from Michaels. Very sharp. No drag marks. I do straight lines with it, without a straight edge. It follows it's own channel in the foam really well.

Poop at curves though.

I use it to make gliders for my Bengal to chew up. REAL quick on the cutout, and it keeps her away from "Daddy's foam" while I work. I've had ZERO plane casualties sinse I give her her own planes to destroy. My first xbow on the other hand, got introduced to her business end....

</my $.02>
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:57 AM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
theBOZman,

Just when I thought I had heard of everything some one like yourself throws in something new. Making FFF airplanes for you cat, who would have thought! But apparently it serves well for it's desired purpose.

What do you reckon your cat would do with one of those 9" Wattage jobs buzzing around the room.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:10 PM
Houston TX. (Friendswood actually)
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
I've been afraid that the bluecore would be harmful to my kitty if ingested. I presume you've not noticed any ill affects on your cat? I might have to make her some to keep her out of mine. She likes to eat it though, not just destroy it.

Steve-S
Steve-S63 is offline Find More Posts by Steve-S63