HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2005, 08:44 PM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
New Idea...How to drive an rc bike...

I was thinking of how many new people have come here recently. It seems that if you have never run a bike you might think that they work the same way as cars, and therefore your initial runs might be met with disaster. A conversation with Swheels they other day brought to light how one needs to flip the reverse switch on the transmitter so that when you want to turn, it responds correctly, in addition to changing the speed...anyone else want to add to this?
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:02 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
588 Posts
Maybe this could be cut and pasted to the begining of the R/C bikes 101 thread. Oh and one more important tip for the newbie driver/rider. When making a turn; as soon as you hear the crash bars scrape the ground, back off of the steering a bit or you'll just go >>>--strait---> usually into the curb or into the ditch (if either are present)
motorbikemike is offline Find More Posts by motorbikemike
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:53 PM
It flies? I like it!
Joined Apr 2004
868 Posts
Just like the real thing... it's called counter-steering (Google it if you are curious) and applies at speeds over approximately 6 mph on the big ones. Many newbie "full scale" riders go off the road or onto oncoming traffic in a turn because they fail to understand this.
Lomcevak is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevak
Old Jun 23, 2005, 06:11 PM
Joined Jun 2004
23 Posts
It would take allot of practice

I tried this today on with my nitro. What a disaster. I used to teach MSF rider courses and I know what you are saying about counter-steering. If you want to go left, push on the left bar etc.

I really tried this today and t-boned the bike into a curb. I would suggest at the onset of learning to drive, that should be the way to do it. But to go from one way to the other.............well lets just say a lot of parts could be on order.........
hlrd is offline Find More Posts by hlrd
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:49 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
I can't really see any reason to set the transmitter to where you have to actively countersteer with it. It's counterintuitive (as well as very confusing) to turn the transmitter wheel or push the stick in the opposite direction of the desired turn, especially when the bike is traveling at an angle, or coming back at you. Whereas, it is intuitive, to most people anyway, to push the opposite handlebar when you are sitting on top of the bike.

I'd just as soon let the reversed servo countersteer for me. I know what is happening at the front wheel when I turn the Tx wheel, and that part is now second nature to me.

I suppose one could learn to countersteer their Tx to run a bike, but I can't imagine why they would want to.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:41 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
588 Posts
I don't think he meant to say that you should set up your radios backwards from what "we bikers are used to" he was just pointing out the principal behind how these bikes work... I think
motorbikemike is offline Find More Posts by motorbikemike