HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:02 PM
Yardley, PA USA
Joined Oct 2004
86 Posts
Parkzone P51 - BEWARE RECEIVER SHORTED BY WING SCREWS

I love flying the P51 so this is not a slam Parkzone/Horizon thread. I am probably responsible for the additional sale of 5 P51's by letting club members fly my model. I have experienced an in flight failure (total loss of power) and crash due to the wing mount screws penetrating the receiver protective covering (assembled per kit instructions) and shorting the receiver/speed control circuit board. I don't want it to happen to anyone else. A spacer should be added to avoid the screws from making contact with the circuit board. I am in the process of trying to obtain warranty parts from Horizon. I'll let you know how that goes. See attached photos pointing out the problem and resulting damage.
petermac40 is offline Find More Posts by petermac40
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:09 PM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
OH MY DOG
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:23 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I've mentioned this several times now. I've velcro'd mine to the side wall of the plane. Increases battery connector length and keep the RX from getting damaged. Does not seem to change flight characteristics.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jun 21, 2005, 01:11 PM
Yardley, PA USA
Joined Oct 2004
86 Posts
Lostsoul,

Now you say something about it after the fact. Where did you mention it? I searched your posts and can't find it anywhere on RCGroups. Maybe you posted over on RCUn....

Anyway, we need to get the word out to all the P51 owners/flyers so they can fix it and continue to enjoy this A/C. This issue is only barely number two in my book because I had 15 flights on it before it shorted, failed and crashed. Number one is the battery hatch which I did read about pre-flight and I used the rubber band mod with success.

So, keep on posting your results so we can all learn from others experiences!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 01:17 PM
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I started a thread over at RCuniverse about the preflight checkup for the P-51

Parkzone P-51 Preflight Checkup

I found the problem on my P-51 about a week ago when I was going over the plane after a crash. I've also posted it several places on this board and over at rcuniverse.

I thought I had posted it over here before but I guess I had only posted it at RCUniverse.
Last edited by L0stS0ul; Jun 21, 2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 01:57 PM
Yardley, PA USA
Joined Oct 2004
86 Posts
Thanks for the information thread. I like it, just wish I had found it before I crashed. I don't spend much time at RCUn.. these days. I am mostly an electric flyer and I find RCGroups more user friendly.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 03:59 PM
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I'm actually the same way. I like rcgroups much better cause it has a nicer interface. Maybe I should copy that post over here as well. I have been trying to keep it up to date with information that I see posted. I think it covers most of the issues people have found at this point.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
Yardley, PA USA
Joined Oct 2004
86 Posts
Door bell just rang. UPS man dropping off warranty replacement parts for the P51 already (as result of receiver shorted with wing screws). WoW!! That is service. 4 days from complaint to replacement parts in hand. I am very impressed with Horizon Hobby. I provided no receipt no nothing (although I offered to provide photos) just an e-mail from me to their support site with description of failure and the part numbers I needed to make repairs. Cool!!!
Old Jun 24, 2005, 07:37 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Sorry to hear of your crash.

We also noticed that when we were putting together the demo plane for my hobby shop.

I'll be sure to tell customers about this problem.

ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jun 25, 2005, 09:54 AM
Yardley, PA USA
Joined Oct 2004
86 Posts
I have communicated the problem to my club memebers and to my LHS which actually donated this RTF to my RC club for opening day picnic and I just happened to win it as a door prize. I have let several club members fly it and this has probably led to the sale of several P51's over at the LHS. At least two I know of.

I have mostly installed the repair parts now, Motor, Motormount, receiver/ESC. Now I just have to find alternative prop because I can't locate PZ props anywhere and even Horizon says they're back ordered. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT ALTERNATE PROP THEY ARE USING WITH SUCCESS????? I was thinking that the 10/8 GWS EPS prop (not the slow fly one) might be a good choice????