HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:20 AM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,577 Posts
Please list the RPM / Pole in Governor Mode for CC controllers

Hi,

I found an excellent description of CC's governor modes from Voyager in the Logomania forums. See my cut and paste below.

My question regarding these posts is:
Are the RPM's per pole the same for all CC ESC's as the figures quoted for the CC80 or does it differ from model to model?

I'm mainly interested in what these figures are for new HV85 (i've ordered one from NESail).

It would be great if someone from CC could provide details of the RPM/Pole in high and low modes for a given pulse width.
Each brand of radio is different so a 0% - 100% figure would not be entirely accurate, however we do know the pulse widths from the major radio brands (JR, Futaba, Multiplex) so i was thinking if CC could provide me with the right info i would happily draft a table of RPM/Pole for each brand of radio.

============= Quote from Voyager in the Logomania forums =============

This gov mode thing seems confusing but it's really simple.

The % on the Tx in gov mode is just a representation of head speed.
The value has nothing to do with actual throttle being used.
You need to totally forget the relationship to power that the normal throttle values give you.

Here is an exampe for the CC80
Gov mode low
at 0% = 16000 RPM/Pole
at 100% = 100082 RPM/Pole

To find the actual motor RPM for the radio % just divide the RPM/Pole by the # of poles
For my 6 pole Kontronic Tango motor that equates to:
at 0% = 2,666 Motor RPM
at 100% = 16,680Motor RPM

To find the head speed just factor in the gear ratio
at 0% = 290 HEAD RPM
at 100% = 1812 HEAD RPM

So for a head speed of 1800 HEAD RPM you use about 100% throttle
For 1900 RPM you would actually use about 110%

I verified this with the CC tech support and they say most people are confused but the Gov mode is actually the BEST mode for the controller and motor to save power and reduce heat.

Here is an even stranger exampe for the CC80

Gov mode high
at 0% = 106493 RPM/Pole
at 100% = 337508 RPM/Pole

To find the actual motor RPM for the radio % just divide the RPM/Pole by the # of poles
For my 6 pole Kontronic Tango motor that equates to:
at 0% = 17,748 Motor RPM
at 100% = 56,251 Motor RPM

To find the head speed just factor in the gear ratio
at 0% = 1928 HEAD RPM
at 100% = 6112 HEAD RPM

So for a head speed of 2000 HEAD RPM you use about 3% throttle

This sounds VERY strange but TRUE.

This was my reply from CC tech support:
>>>>
Tach your headspeed, that is the most essential
part of it. Going to 5% or lower in high governor mode will not hurt
anything, that percentage only correlates to rpms.
<<<<<

I tried it and it does work just as advertised.
My curve in High gov mode was 0, 3, 3, 3, 3 for normal and
3, 3, 3, 3, 3 for idle up.

Nice slow startup and maintains the desired Head RPM.

===========================================
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:23 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,061 Posts
If you are getting very low numbers in high governor try the low governor.

The relationship between the throttle stick and headspeed seams to be different for each transmitter and for some software versions. The best way is to use a tachometer to set the governor and not some table that may not be that accurate for you particular setup.

I suppose if you could measure the exact pulse width of your transmitter you could accurately compute the headspeed but a tachometer is by far the best solution. What I do is measure the headspeed at a series of throttle curve percentages and write it down for further reference. That way I can accurately adjust the headspeed any time I want.

Hopefully CC will release their new governor software in a few weeks that should make it possible to better tune the ESC for a particular helicopter setup.

RC
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man