HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2002, 11:11 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
It will make a huge difference. Make sure the writing faces away from the motor. There are some pictures at http://www.yourzagi.com/prop.htm of this. If your prop is on backwards, the efficiency of the propeller is greatly diminished.
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2002, 09:25 AM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
When you fix your zagi jeff.... covor it in Towerkote (cheap, and LOW TEMP) put new elevons on it, get a spd. 480, biger prop...That's all i an think of now
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Apr 28, 2002, 09:29 AM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
Jeff, also I think you should get a new zagi, for 30 bucks I think it would be worth it. Look in the "Super Zagi" thread. If that is what you want youre going to need a new zagi.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 10:55 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
OH YES it sure does make a diffrence a BIG difference When you are using a PUSH Style plane the writting on the prop must FACE YOU when you are behinde the plane. I had mine on backwards and it barley flew.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:57 AM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
great! im now tryin to decide what sort of film to use. as eric said towerkote is cheap but im not sure if it is as good to use as the other films. what do you guys think? im gonna get cloroplast winglets and elevons. i think doing everything wrong in the first place makes it better when you fix it. thanx
Jeff
easy2fly is offline Find More Posts by easy2fly
Old Apr 28, 2002, 04:02 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
i have yellow chloroplast you can use if yo uwant...Not long enough for your elevons though. Are you goin to ge ta new one to?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:36 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
covering suggestions?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:44 PM
Formerly CA now Missouri
Joined Sep 2001
555 Posts
easy2fly.....

I would suggest that you use Ultracote

I use this on all my foamies....I've used econocote, monocote and others before....These just don't survive as long as Ultracote does... Monokote might have more of a shine to it... but it wrinkles easily and can only shrink it back a couple of times!

Ultracote might cost a little more.....but it's worth it!
saint152 is offline Find More Posts by saint152
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:24 PM
!sdrawkcaB ylF
Atlanta, GA
Joined Feb 2002
54 Posts
I've done my Zagi in Econokote with great success. I was going to tape it, but read an article that if they are trunk queens, the hot summer days could shrink and warp your tape. The Covering material is alittle more stable.

As it is a Zagi, I would not use the monokote as it has a higher temperature, and could/would melt the non-leading edged foam. Econokote and the Towerkote (if you look at the specs.) are the same thing. The Econokote has more colors though. I have not worked with the Ultracote as I found that my preferred hobby shops did not supply this, and the ones that did, made is cost prohibitive for my tight budget.
hyperbot is offline Find More Posts by hyperbot
Old May 01, 2002, 09:33 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
i will probably use ultracoat. its about 14 a roll at the lhs. but i onlyt need two colors and ill have extra. anyone know where i can get cloroplast?
Jeff
Old May 01, 2002, 10:19 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Try any sign shop that makes those plastic signs. They may have some in stock. If not, www.harborsales.com has 4'X8' sheets of the stuff for under $10. http://www.harborsales.net/fullsheet...=Foam%20Boards If you have them cut it so it fits into 2'X4' sections, then shipping is free. 4 by 2X4 will make a boatload of winglets and elevons.
Old May 02, 2002, 09:36 AM
<burp>
Brookhaven, Mississippi, United States
Joined Mar 2002
232 Posts
prop direction

The raised lettering on the new carbon props sold by Trick R/C should face TOWARDS the motor - not away from the motor as the stock props. I called Trick to verify...

Hope this helps
rmasonjr is offline Find More Posts by rmasonjr
Old May 02, 2002, 10:10 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Thank you for that info! Which carbon props are these? I went on the Trick site and didn't see anything different there. Are they shipping these instead of the standard Gunther ones?
Old May 02, 2002, 10:19 AM
<burp>
Brookhaven, Mississippi, United States
Joined Mar 2002
232 Posts
Matt

It's my understanding that these are fairly new props, but I'm new to Zagi so they could have been around for a while

They're on the website - under Zagi 400 and Razor spare parts. You get 2 carbon 5x5 props with an adapter for $10. I tried them with the lettering out and it flew "ok", so I switched it around and it flew better. I finally called Trick and they said these are different - letters face the motor.

BTW, your zagi website is awesome - I referred to it many times while building my zagi.

One question for you - where exactly can I find a 480 motor? I can get Horizon stuff from a friend, but they don't seem to carry a 480 motor.

Thanks!
rmasonjr is offline Find More Posts by rmasonjr
Old May 02, 2002, 11:19 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Ah, the 5x5's. Yep, I would have expected that. The Gunther's are kind of backwards from most, but then there is really no standard to go by other than to look at the prop and figure out the airfoil shape. Or ask someone. Or try it.

Thanks for the compliment. I use Dymond RC Nighthawk at http://www.rc-dymond.com/
www.hobby-lobby.com also carries the Graupner 480's, but they are expensive at $20 or so. http://www.multiplexrc.com/emotors.htm carries the Permax480 for about $12 or so. Good motor and I basically interchange the Dymond and the Permax all of the time when I want to play with 480's.
Last edited by mtayl; May 02, 2002 at 11:22 AM.