HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2002, 08:10 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
im wondering if you guys have the same cf tape as me. I think there might be two diff kinds ( im new to cf tape). I have the kind from dave brown prod where you must soak the carbon fiber (looks like black hair) in CA or epoxy. It would add more weight than wanted if i had to use epoxy. a friend of mine put cf tape across the top of his wing. the glue that he used made a weird looking soak look through the tape.
Jeff
easy2fly is offline Find More Posts by easy2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2002, 09:21 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
I think there are two basic kinds of tape. One that is loose like the Dave Brown stuff, and another kind that is impregnated with a glue that adheres when you heat it up so you can iron it on your wing or whatever. This is the loose Dave Brown stuff that I have:
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Last edited by mtayl; Apr 21, 2002 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 02:37 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
yep thats the kind i have. Anyone know where i can get the other kind? Any comments on the 480 BB for the zagi power plant?
Jeff
Old Apr 22, 2002, 02:55 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I have the 480 BB in my FMA Razor and it cooks! Much faster than just a 480 race. I can go vertical for at least 50 feet before having to loop or fly inverted. I would say 40 to 45 MPH level flight.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Apr 22, 2002, 03:11 PM
Tacoma, Wa
Joined Oct 2001
159 Posts
First of all, Thank you Mtayl for www.yourzagi.com. It has been a great help.

This is my second plane, with my first being a Pioc Cub. I am going at this on my own since I can never seem to meet up with a friend that knows what he's doing.

The problem I seem to be having now is cutting the power. When I cut the throttle the nose immediately drops. I can usually correct it with elevator, but it doesn't feel right. I have been able to improve the situation by moving the CG around, but I haven't found that happy medium yet. Am I on the right track, or is there somehting else I need to be looking at.

My Zagi is completely stock with the exception of Coroplast winglets, and Ultracote.
estill is offline Find More Posts by estill
Old Apr 22, 2002, 05:10 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
I have some of the dood CF tape...Should have 2 48 inch pieces when i'm done with my U-2. I can give them to you for 2 bucks if you want.
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Apr 23, 2002, 07:07 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
estill: keep moving the CG , thats most likely the prob. Iff you cant find it, get todether with the experienced modeler and have him look at it.

Are there any other ways that you guys have thought of that reduces weight? i am looking for a smaller Batt that will give me at least a four min flight time. Anything thats smaller than the one ive got now will work. The batt weighs as much as the plane! thanx
Jeff
Old Apr 23, 2002, 07:28 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2001
90 Posts
Yep, there is. Try an 8 cell pack of KR-1100AAUs.
A couple of my flying buddies turned me on to these, and if there ever was a battery that was 'one size fits all', this one is it.
We're flying them in Zagis, Zagi Razors, PicoJets,
Wingos, Miss 2s. The 8 cell pack weighs about an ounce more than an 8 cell pack of 500ARs.
I know Radical R/C makes them up, and I've also gotten them from Batteries Plus. More than you wanted to know but anyway....
EBob is offline Find More Posts by EBob
Old Apr 23, 2002, 08:14 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
After seeing some renewed interest in the MM on a Zagi, I cleaned up the motors page and added a separate Mayhem section with some Motocalc data so you can see what amps get pulled with which props. By the way, if you don't have Motocalc, I would highly recommend it. Check it out at www.motocalc.com

Anways, the link for the data is http://www.yourzagi.com/motors2.htm#mayhem and at the bottom of that section you can find the MotoCalc data.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 03:47 AM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
I used strapping tape without the recommended additional spray adhesive. Then covered with "FliteKote" a low-temp iron-on covering. Looks much better than covering with the included tape. see http://www.inarico.com/misc/rc for pics.

Good luck
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old Apr 24, 2002, 11:46 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
How did the FliteKote go on? Do you like it?

I've used Ultracote (love it) and Econokote (very thin) but I have to try the FliteKote. Econokote was almost too thin for me. Hard to iron, wrinkled fairly quickly and was not as durable as Ultracote. Ultracote on the other hand is heavier, but in my opinion is easier to apply and more opaque than Econokote.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 12:29 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
FliteKote is similar to Enonocote or Solarfilm. However, I'm not sure its even available anymore. It used to be a Hobby Shack (now Hobby People) house brand. All of the coverings you mentioned are fine by me, each has their advantages.
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old Apr 24, 2002, 05:21 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
I have the 7 cell 700 AE pack in my razor and get 5-8 mins of flight times. It weighs 4-5 oz. Yo ucan try it this wekend if you would like to. Also try a Promax Speed 480. Hobby lobby sells them for $12.oo i think.
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:54 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
im about ready to buy the same 7 cell 700ae pack that eric has. i know it will give me less motor run time, but it will increase my climb, decrease my weight and give me less charging times so i can fly more. i will be getting it tonight around 6 for 24 bucks from a guy with his hobby store in his basement. any advice before i get it?
Jeff
Old Apr 27, 2002, 09:43 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
i have a prop question. when people told me to turn the prop arouind does it matter. I have been flying with the letters to the motor side. will the performance differ? i hope it does so my lazy zagi wont be so lazy
Jeff