HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2002, 10:16 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
zagi advice, questions, answers

i know there have been alot of posts on the zagi and modifications for it. I just wanted to get one post where one, whether it be a begginer or pro modeler, can find any info on the zagi. I would like some tips on stepping up my zagi for more speed, lighter overall weight, and POWER. so if you want to post any comment one the zagi for any aspect of it( or questions) feel free to do so here.
easy2fly is offline Find More Posts by easy2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2002, 10:33 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
Well....Buy a RAZOR. All problems solved
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Apr 19, 2002, 10:58 PM
Joined May 2000
2,040 Posts
Zagi Stuff

There are many mods, covering with Ultracoat, brushless and cobalt motors etc. seem to be the most common. I fly mine stock with the Trick 1400 batts., replace the $8.00 motor once in a while, and I run a MAS 5.5X4.5 prop and a Graupner spinner assembly, works real nice. The sky is the limit for these, heck, I put a Norvel AME .061 glow motor on the back of one and it was ballistic!
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Apr 20, 2002, 12:02 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Hmmm. Goodness, there are tons of things that can be done to a Zagi. What you are asking for is what I'm attempting to do at www.yourzagi.com but there is just so much of it to document. Well, I try...anyways, I'll certainly be watching this thread, but if you haven't checked these sites out then you should:
www.yourzagi.com
www.clubzagi.com
http://users2.ev1.net/~nbad/zagi_mods.htm and there are lots more out there to find. Most of them I have tried to locate at http://www.yourzagi.com/links.htm but if you find some more, please let me know.

Hey Rich, do you still fly that glow beast?
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Last edited by mtayl; Apr 20, 2002 at 12:08 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2002, 12:06 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Try www.yourzagi.com lots of intersting stuff there.
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Apr 20, 2002, 11:25 AM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
i have trimmed my zagi about 2 1/2 in at each tip for speed reasons. I am using the stock motor and the 1400 AE battery as well. I have been using the original motor for a year now and i just bought a new one and have yet to fly it with the new one in it. i was thinking of using a speed 600 but i dont think the same electrical equipm,ent could be used as the speed 400.
Jeff
Old Apr 20, 2002, 11:56 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
You would have to get a larger AMP ESC 20 to 25 AMP should do just fine.
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Apr 20, 2002, 12:05 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jan 2002
186 Posts
I am still flying my learning 400. I added carbon rods and got rid of most of the strapping tape, bigger batteries and covered it with Ultracote. Very rigid, never flaps.

I also an Astro 020, which makes a huge difference. You will not get much in the way of speed increases since you must quadruple your thrust in order to double your speed. However, with the right prop you can see a huge power or endurance increase. The APC Windsor 5.5 x 4 gives good endurance with a noticeable increase in power. The AeroNaut 6.5 x 4 and 6 x 5 props show a dramatic power increase (static current draw just over 18 amps). I can climb out at 70 degrees from a hand launch and loops are huge (probably four times the diameter if my stock Zagi). I am using the Zagi 1700 mAh and some eflighpacks 1300 mAhs.

Tony
crashman is offline Find More Posts by crashman
Old Apr 20, 2002, 12:05 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
it sure would cruise with the speed 600. what flight times would you estimate with the 1400AE batt at about 3/4 to full throttle throughtout the flight?
Jeff
Old Apr 20, 2002, 07:17 PM
Fun Flyin
Escondido, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
289 Posts
Another site

Heres a good site for flying tips at http://www.rocketwings.com/personaltips.htm
funflyer is offline Find More Posts by funflyer
Old Apr 20, 2002, 07:58 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
my friend used carbon fiber tape on his zagi400 and it was very strong. is the wieght worth the strength? Also has anyone covered their zagis with film? im thinkin about doing this and would like some info. any pics of your zagi?
Jeff
Old Apr 20, 2002, 11:57 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Tape is kind of a pain since you normally need to use an adhesive such as epoxy to apply it. This adds weight. An easier way is to order some CF tubes or rods. Ultracote (film) covering is easy. Check out http://www.yourzagi.com/covering.htm if you want to see some pictures. Here's an old one that I did with Ultracote
Old Apr 21, 2002, 08:38 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by easy2fly
my friend used carbon fiber tape on his zagi400 and it was very strong. is the wieght worth the strength? Also has anyone covered their zagis with film? im thinkin about doing this and would like some info. any pics of your zagi?
Jeff
Where can you get carbon fiber tape?
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
Old Apr 21, 2002, 09:54 AM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2001
26 Posts
You can get CF tape from Hobby-Lobby.

I think that the tape mounted on the surface of the wing would have a better mechanical advantage than a rod embedded in the wing.

--
alistair
alistairg is offline Find More Posts by alistairg
Old Apr 21, 2002, 10:31 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Maybe. It depends on where you put it and what kind it is. Most of the CF tape that I have is a loose collection of CF fibers that need some sort of cohesive bonding to make it stiff. It's best property is that you cannot stretch it. Think of a bunch of thread bound loosely together that won't break, then imagine where you would put it on the Zagi.

Most of the problems with the Zagi's are with the 'Flap' which results in the wingtips being violently raised to meet each other over the wing cord line. A CF spar across the top in a bow shaped arrangement (smiley face) is a common solution. Where tape might be worth experimenting with is running it across the bottom. Since it won't stretch it might help keep the wing from bowing upwards during high speed passes.

So tape might easier to apply, but I'm wondering where it would do the most good. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I would think that unless you had every millimeter of the tape secure, then the only place it would work for you is on the bottom because of it's lack of stretchiness.

I started to play with flat CF's from www.airdyn.com and had great success. Easy to install, just cut a slit and push it in. You need to make sure the foam around it presses against it so it holds it's shape. I've used them for emergency flap repairs and it worked great. There's a picture of it at http://www.yourzagi.com/mods.htm#cf I'm glad the tape subject came up though. I'm tempted to try some on the bottom of my next one with a smiley CF on the top.