HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:36 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Blade CP - tail rotor retention issue

i saw in one of the other threads that people are having issues with the tail rotor coming off because of the rubber tubing coming off. well it just happened to me (but it was during my hovering practice when a gust came and the heli got up some from me) anyway - i lost the rubber grommet and was wondering what else i could use to help keep this on.

i just borrowed a piece from the battery holder until i could find a more permanent source if this is indeed the best way to keep it on.

one thing i thought about doing was using a wheel collar on the edge of the rotor shaft. this would allow the gear to have some play and spin free if it was knocked out - but keep everything on the assembly. any thoughts on this?

thanks in advance
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:48 PM
Joined May 2005
1,165 Posts
Just find a big electric wire (big-size) and remove the wire..
Then you sitting left with only the tube to the wire !!

If that`s correct size you got 1000feet for free
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:20 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Keep in mind the tube is supposed to come off to avoid damaging the rotor. They sell those by themselves so you can have lots of spares.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:19 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
You know, it looks to me like a GWS DD tail would bolt right on there... I havent seen one on person but I would put money on it, get yourself an IPS motor and a 4530 prop with adapter.... problem solved
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jun 21, 2005, 01:12 AM
'cus I fly a long time
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Jul 2004
238 Posts
tail rotor problems

Mine has come off many times too I now use heat shrink and it is on good now. if you need to replace it you slice the heat shrink off and put a new one on.

Flying camel
flying camel is offline Find More Posts by flying camel
Old Jun 21, 2005, 08:13 AM
Houston Texas
Joined May 2005
118 Posts
If you have a daughter by chance, you can use her little hair rubber bands. I put one on in a pinch the other day and never took it off.
bwarkent is offline Find More Posts by bwarkent
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:02 AM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
thanks all for the suggestions..

i want a solution that will allow me to lose the rotor in the event of a crash - so i think i will try to find the correct wire size snd pull the insulation off. that sounds like the quickest fix. on other thing i thought about was get a rubber band (large size about 1/4" thick) and cut it into small squares. this could be used as a crude sort of lock washer. still allows it to come off in a less than optimal landing - but holds it together in the air.

dacaur- the guy at the LHS has put a GWS DD ips motor on one and likes the results. says its a little louder than the stock setup, but likes it a it better.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:27 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nose_first
dacaur- the guy at the LHS has put a GWS DD ips motor on one and likes the results. says its a little louder than the stock setup, but likes it a it better.
Oh yea, forgot to mention the "hive of angre bees" sound you will get with the DD tail and 4530 prop, I dont even notice it anymore, I think it sounds kinds cool.... Its definatly more durable than the stock setup I can tell you that, as the stock setup looks identicle to my walkera # 4's stock setup, and even using the little bit of tubing, I broke a couple stock props, I have only broken one 4530 prop, and that was after hitting the ceiling and dropping to the floor.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:49 AM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
being new to helis (and yes i know everyone says this isnt a trainer) i want what will make it fly the best.

hey - i made some training gear and had it floating around last evening. got a little wobbly so i think i understand the ground effect i read about. and i learned one very important thing.. the little toggle switch on the right is the heart attack switch.. and boy does it take off when you hit it while trying to move around on the ground.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:16 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
Oh yea, forgot to mention the "hive of angre bees" sound you will get with the DD tail and 4530 prop.
Pah, the 4530 props are silent compared to the 3020 props!

But yes, I would recommend getting the DD tail and 4530 prop, said to be the best tail set up, even better if you can afford a BL DD tail motor... (I cant... )

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:45 AM
Multi rotors and foamy planks
Bedford, UK
Joined Dec 2004
752 Posts
Yeah, you wait till you put on a 0320 prop and do some piro's, then you'll know what angry bees sound like
Biffa is offline Find More Posts by Biffa
Last edited by Biffa; Jun 21, 2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 01:26 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffa
Yeah, you wait till you put on a 0320 prop and do some piro's, then you'll know what angry bees sound like
piro's? im looking to hover through a whole pack
Old Jun 21, 2005, 02:10 PM
Joined May 2005
4 Posts
You can also use some small fuel line from the hobby store...
I just bought a couple of feet of it and use wire cutters or scissors to snip off little bit when I need a new grommet.
someone1111 is offline Find More Posts by someone1111
Old Jun 21, 2005, 02:17 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
well all of the fuel line they had was too large - or lid too easily - so they gave me a gws package of mabe 20 of them. for about a buck i am happy. since i am learning still, i expect to knock around the tail, but once i am a somewhat more proficient pilot, i will likely do some of the more permanent solutions