HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2005, 06:42 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,230 Posts
Too hot to fly!

Look at this one. It actually cooled down from 115.1 when I got home about 2 hours ago. The outside temp sensor is mounted in the shade under the carport and sees no direct sunlight. And you thought it was hot where you are.

The wind isn't too bad right now but the heat would probably loosen the covering enough that it would blow off in the air!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2005, 07:16 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,952 Posts
I would fly in this. Just make sure I have a 5 gallon jug of water with me.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 20, 2005, 07:41 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Just toss a foamy out the window then close it and fly from inside.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Jun 20, 2005, 07:47 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
I wondered about how your covering was affected by that heat. I remember the interior on my new Toyota cracking in less than a year when I lived in Tucson. After the monsoon season you will be sitting pretty again for the fall/winter though. I guess it's a trade off huh?
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jun 20, 2005, 07:53 PM
Joined Sep 2004
762 Posts
Heh! That's nothin! There were a few people that brough their planes with them to the Qatari desert. Lemme tell ya, even fun-fly planes will thermal in 131 degree heat!
ssgtakeo is online now Find More Posts by ssgtakeo
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:09 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,230 Posts
I just checked the weather in Doha,Qatar. It's only 93 there right now. It's still 110 here. I think we had a climate swap. They can have it back.

Joe
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:10 PM
We got planes to build
Dallas, TX
Joined Sep 2001
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
Look at this one. It actually cooled down from 115.1 when I got home about 2 hours ago.......

Joe

But it's a dry heat!!

Dave
dmiller is offline Find More Posts by dmiller
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:11 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,230 Posts
Bildo,

So-Lite doesn't do well in this heat at all. You can see it flapping around in flight. Building the wing absolutely straight is a MUST. You can't rely on the covering to pull out a warp and expect it to stay. That's why I've moved to using SolarFilm. It's heavier but much stronger and doesn't loosen as much.

Joe
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:14 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller
But it's a dry heat!!

Dave
I'll give you that. I went to Houston for Mothers day several years ago. I stepped off the plane and couldn't breath from the humidity. Don't expect to see me back in Texas anythime soon.

Joe
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Primo summer model flying hours in the desert southwest are just after sunrise . . usually less wind and relatively moderate temperatures. Always a good idea to ensure all wing compartments have a small hole in the ribs to vent them to atmosphere. This reduces the chances of the covering puffing up like a microwave popcorn bag.
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:15 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
I will get back to you in Jan. or Feb and post a temperature reading for you. I am talking -30 degree temps not including windchill. Include windchill and the temps will sink into the -70 or possibly lower. We are talkign about skin freezing in less then 5 min if it is not covered up.

Yesterday we had temps spiking around 103 degrees with a hot wind blowing in your face. Humidity was in the 80 to 90% area. I had to find a shady spot for charging batteries and storing my planes when I was not flying them.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:46 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I had the cowlings on my formosa and DC-3 melt yesterday and it was only 96 degrees. I can't imagine what 115 would do to them.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7