HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:16 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Tlyttle, is this what you're talking about? It's one of the new issue, with an OLD Cub .049B. Hasn't flown yet. Wish I had one of the old Walker balloon tanks for it. Sorry for the quality of the pictures.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:12 PM
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
does anyone know where to get 1/2 a engines anymore?
fyrc22 is offline Find More Posts by fyrc22
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:53 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Yup, that's it alright. Much tougher than anyone realised. We were lucky in the fact that we were flying in a hayfield, so crashes weren't that severe. It taught 3 or 4 guys to fly...

Lots of Chinese stuff out there, some of it quite good. Myself, I went over to diesels 40 years ago, and my oldest PAW80 still pulls harder than any of the old 049s, certainly much harder than the old Cub!!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:56 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
There is the AP Wasp .061
here: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/211280.asp

And here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSD22&P=0

Or the O.K. Cub 049 here:
http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...w/okcub049.htm

And the Brodak .049, the .049 Mk II and the .061 here:
http://www.brodak.com/shop.php?CategoryID=62

LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:11 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1 Posts
i got the exact glow head you need, i had the same plane

[I have one thats been sitting since the 70s, its in perfect condition, I dont have a prop though. I spent weeks with my dad putting that plane together and took it out once and it went strait up and strait down. plane was toast but the engine i kept. if your interested let me know. Tony apmorgan9152@yahool.com
apmorgan is offline Find More Posts by apmorgan
Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:34 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
921 Posts
Testors BD-5

Anybody own and/or fly the Testors BD-5. I had one until one of my brothers stole it (and a tan Cox P-40)and sold it at a yard sale.
Nice flying plane until the engine quit.
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:12 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrc22
does anyone know where to get 1/2 a engines anymore?
I have a brand new, still in the box, Testors .049 if someone is interested in buying it. Bought with the intentions of getting back into 1/2 again, but decided to go with electric rc instead.

dbarton@mts.net
PayPal is preferred.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:35 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Wow, what great summertime memories. :-) I had the P-40 and the P-51. About the only place we had to fly them was in the street in front of our house. Take-off was fine but never knowing when the gas would run out and the absolute lack of "glide capability" of these planes, so many landings ended right into the curb. But with a little tinkering the things just ran and ran. We lived on a dead-end street and when a car would come, they would just sit there and watch until we finished probably sighing, "Those boys are at it again....." Also probably hoping that every crash landing would be our last! LOL I'm gettin all misty... :-) I also had several of the Cox planes.... Doesn't get any better.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:11 PM
Left, NO your other left!
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
Testors Cosmic Wind

SOLD
I have just recieved a Testors Cosmic Wind. Nice looking plane. This thing is NIB and in great condition. I tried to fly a c/l plane when I was about 13. It did not go as planed. Any way, I was asked to try and sell this plane for a friend. I really do not want it. Although it is cool, I don't need it. Does anyone know how much these things are selling for? Or is anyone interested?
Thanks, Andrew
weathervane is offline Find More Posts by weathervane
Last edited by weathervane; Aug 08, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 02:12 PM
Left, NO your other left!
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
Does any one know where to get the glow heads for the Testors .049 motors? Are they still available? The guy who bought mine is wanting to know. He is over seas.

-Andrew
weathervane is offline Find More Posts by weathervane
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathervane
Does any one know where to get the glow heads for the Testors .049 motors? Are they still available? The guy who bought mine is wanting to know. He is over seas.

-Andrew
Anyone buying an out of production anything should find out things like this before buying or bidding on it. As the seller you should not be responsible for having to try and find a source for these.
That said, you my friend are going above and beyond to help and I commend you for that.

I hope this helps:
http://www.mecoa.com/acc/adaptors/index.htm

Aside from MECOA, Ebay would be the best bet.
LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:40 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
834 Posts
would it be possible to convert one of these to electric with a brushless motor?
redboat219 is online now Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:02 PM
Suspended Account
Right here in the middle of the fly over zone
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crash
Yet another summertime control line flashback. The first control line ship I lusted after was the Testors P-40, part of the "Fly'em" series that Testors did in the 1970's. The P-40 looked so incredibly cool and fast, and I wanted one badly. I saved up my cash and was able to finally purchase one. At the time I wasn't ready to handle it, and never really flew it. Later, after Testors came up with the "zip stick" starter, some friends and I came across piles of the "fly'em" planes on sale at a local hobby store for $12.00 each. We bought Mustangs, P 40's, and Cosmic Winds, and flew them until they fell apart. What finally killed them was the inability to find any more glow heads for the Testors .049 motors.

This relic is all that's left of those late grade school and high school summers. It actually flies pretty well, despite it's tiny size and little prop. We had to pump up the pitch to get them to pull well (heat and bend...), but they were a hoot.

If anyone out there knows where to get a Testors glow head, let me know. It would be nice to hear the hoarse blatter of that old mill again...

I think I have some new glow heads.
Have some spair parts also including a P-40 and Air Cobra spare airframe-New
Also think I have some new engines for the buggy's.
Might convert or use for parts in airplane motors.

WMW
WildManWillie is offline Find More Posts by WildManWillie
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:05 PM
Suspended Account
Right here in the middle of the fly over zone
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Have 3 different types of Testors props also
New

Contact me through PM if interested.
WildManWillie is offline Find More Posts by WildManWillie
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:29 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1 Posts
At-6

I hope you guys can help. I remember back in the early 60s probably 64/65 I had an AT-6 control line that was silver with a orange/yellow nose. It was plastic and had an .049 engine. Do any of you have any idea how may of made the plane?
breda65 is offline Find More Posts by breda65