SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:21 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Of course, I will probably be reducing my hobby participation somewhat for the near future for a new hobby - - spoiling the new granddaughter!!!
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Testors stuff

Just to set the record straight. Here is a profile of one of the CL greats. And there is much to consider specifically applicable to this thread. Enjoy!
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:18 PM
United States, GA, Maysville
Joined Oct 1999
236 Posts
I thought I would toss out a few more pics from my collection to add to this thread. I know some people like to knock these airplanes. But they where a lot of fun to young imaginative minds.

Gene
Flyer103 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer103
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: motor gearboxes
Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:37 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
871 Posts
When I was 13 I got one of those Testors P-51s as a gift for getting a certain amount of new customers o n my paper route. This was in Pitman NJ back in the early 70s. I flew it many times on the local school yard. It was my first ever motor powered plane. Led to a bunch of years of fun flying control line models. I always prefered multi-engine models. So I had to scratch build most of them, with the exception of the Sterling P-38s in 1/2a and .15 size.
The only control line plane I currently still have is a scratch-built Convair B-36 with six Cox .051s. What a nightmare that thing is! Flown twice back in the 80s, cause those were the only times I could get all six of them running!
That was hand starting, never did buy a lectric starter.

But seeing these old Testors planes still in nice condition brings back memories.
Did not mean to jack this thread.

cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55
Last edited by cbxer55; Feb 18, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:35 PM
electronics gremlins hate me..
middlesbrough, uk
Joined May 2007
155 Posts
It seems to me that nobody had any problems getting these planes when they were young. I'm wondering how much they cost when new. I mean, a couple of weeks paper round wages, or saving up for ages? Some of you would of got them for chrismas, birthdays etc, but it sounds from what I've read here that they were pretty short life toys, and wouldnt last untill the next chrismas! I guess the little infra red helis would me the modern equivalent. I remember the model shop near where I grew up sold a small selection of controll line models, and they were about 70. Rather expensive for school kid wages... enough that I would rather buy a new graphics card for my computer that (probably) would not get destroyed in the first few weeks of having it!
bob_v5 is offline Find More Posts by bob_v5
Old Feb 18, 2008, 07:30 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
I think those Testor's jobs were somewhere between $9 and $16.00 if I recall. I bought one for my son, but while it started easy, it never got going fast enough, even on 30% nitro, to even pull the plane along the ground on concrete. Rebuilt the engine twice, no effect. Son stayed with the Cox PT-19, P-51, P-40, and some of my larger CL and RC ships for about another year, then at 16, girls and cars took over. He ain't been back to models since, and he's now almost 38. He never really had much interest in building, either.

Were did I go wrong?

Well, maybe I can get my 5 month old granddaughter hooked.

Serve him right!
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:47 AM
United States, GA, Maysville
Joined Oct 1999
236 Posts
Bob v5 and 50+,

Concerning the cost, in 1976 I bought my Testors Zero from the local Ace Hardware store for $9.99. I remember because it was exactly two weeks allowance if I did all my chores without a fuss. I guess I was lucky because all of my Testor's Fly'em planes flew quite well. They were not aerobatic of course. But they had planty of power to get off the ground and I could feel the pull towards the outside of the circle.

I learned very quickly that they had to be flown from a smooth surface. Those little wheels would cause the airplane to nose over if they encountered even the tiniest pebble. My flying site of choice was the local school basketball court. It worked great! Many a sortie was flown from that court.

Gene
Flyer103 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer103
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: motor gearboxes
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:17 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Love that B-36!! Still wish I could have gotten that kit that was around for a while in the 50s and 60s. I used to have sweet dreams about building and flying one, with maybe 6 Fox 25s. Even some kind of rig to light off 2 or 4 Jetex 150s for the effect of smoking J-47s.

Wonder if the FF B-36 Flying Models has plans for could be set up for CL easily?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
Austin, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2008
109 Posts
@flyer 103

Wow, my heart fluttered when I saw that red Cosmic Wind in your post. I got one of those when I was 10 years old and flew the snot out of it for about 8 months. About that time I started building a Baby Flite Streak for a Black Widow .049.
The motor in my Cosmic Wind crapped out. The model was easy to take apart and split from top to bottom in the front with just a screw or two. I then made a plywood firewall that attached to the inside of the fuse with wood screws from the outside. The Black Widow mounted to this firewall and the head of the motor and drive washer ended up being in the same places as the original motor. I drilled two holes in the top for the fill/empty lines to the built in tank on the Black Widow. Voila!! A much, much faster, better running, mildly aerobatic (loops) cosmic wind.
Can you imagine any kids doing something like that today????
JEFF
Rubidium is offline Find More Posts by Rubidium
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:00 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,584 Posts
I used to have quite a few of the old Cox and Testor c/l units. Long gone now, but i still have the a couple of old balsa Carl Goldberg Lil' Wizards.

My most memorable was the Red Baron Fokker Triplane, but I do not remember if it was from Cox or Testor. Very difficult to fly, but looked really cool. Was back in the early 70's
Any one know?
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Oct 19, 2008, 04:47 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Xanadu, I am pretty sure the triplane was a Cox model.
Do these help?
This one has triplane second picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_Model_Engines

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/misc/sopwith.html

LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:02 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,584 Posts
That ones not a triplane.

I found it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-COX-GAS-...em190260181479
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:58 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,189 Posts
The kid across the street from me (who was a jerk I never liked) had the old Cox PT-19 that would pop-apart when he crashed it. Sometime in the early 70s I got a plane, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't new. (I would never have bought it new; going new, I probably would have opted for the Cox P-51 or P-40.) This was, IRRC, an "AMF"? Maybe an AT-6 Texan? It was a god-awful molded yellow thing. And I don't think I ever DID get that motor to start. I don't remember ever flying the plane.
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:09 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
The AMF moniker reminds me of 2 AMF products I had, one good, one bad. The first was an old AMF Heavyweight bicycle I inherited. Did me great service throughout college. My main transport.

Second was the AMF (AKA Wen-Mac?) Aeromite ARF from around 1949-195 I had. Red plastic ARF, Wen-Mac .049, swept back wing for jet plane styling. Wore out the pull starter trying to get it started. Got one run out of the engine about 1960, after which it about freewheeled in a breeze. I think the only one I ever actually saw flying may have been a version later produced by Comet, which used an OK Cub .049B. Saw a couple of those fly, looked almost identicle to the Aeromite. Got many flights with the Cubs, nothing with the Wen-Mac. Really makes me feel like a dope when I read about people in Nostalgia FF flying and winning with antique Wen-Macs.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Oct 20, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:06 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Ah, we're older and wiser now...

I had a Cub 049 which spent a lot of time on the front of a Firebaby. That plane flew very well, certainly better than any of the plastic stuff that came out later, and parts were available at the LHS. It proved to be a good "mule" as the engine collection expanded, and flew with the Cub, a Spitzy 045, a Royal Spitfire 065, plus a couple of others.

We ended up with a few larger models, but they weren't as much fun, besides being far more expensive to run and much less portable. Back to the 049s...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle