SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:36 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Reading all these testimonials...........I am having some serious longings for returning to the simpler youth times! I really do miss these simple models and years!
I do, however, have a closet full of Estes rockets and about 50 old motors for them. If we couldn't get the .049's to crank we would go launch the rockets instead. I can also remember trying to shoot down our .049 planes with BB guns. We did manage to get some holes through the wings! Amazing we didn't hit each other trying to get a bead on that plane spinning around. Sheesh....
The Sterling profile kits were pretty neat. They must have made about 50 different kits...based on profiles of real planes. I remember sitting and going over catalogs, dreaming of the next one I would build. I wanted the whole fleet. Ah, the days.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:40 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Yeah, Ken, I even had hair back then... Our group used to run 1/2A combat on the local schoolground; we invented a set of rules, ie reedies, all-sheet, scale, 26' lines, 4min matches. What a blast: Back then, Cox engines were everywhere, I would put an ad in the local paper offering a buck apiece for them, and the kids would buy them for a buck, NO ONE went without an engine! The event used to draw lots of entries, and the older flyers would pit for the kids (4min matches, remember? a pit stop was necessary), and everyone had a truly great time. If anyone tried that now, every authority within miles would be there to shut it down...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 03, 2005, 01:49 PM
Associate Editor Flying Models
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
670 Posts
Wow talk about a flashback! Back in the 80's for me and my friend we bought the Cox Piper Cherokee and P-51, and dreamed about finding my brothers Stuka, Corsair and OD Mustang. We would go to a really cool hobby shop and buy those Sterling sheet 1/2A kits. Fortunately during the 1980's before the Cox and Testor Planes were collectable, I bought a bunch at yard sales for next to nothing. Some were in great shape. Now I work at Testor and no, all those cool McCoys and Fly-Ems are gone I was lucky however when I was in one of the buildings we no longer own, someone had thrown a brand new Fly-Em's Mustang in the rubbish! The package was all water damaged but the plane was in perfect shape. The chrome is spotless so I have it and the instruction record (remember those?) hanging in my family room. I also have the original Cox Corsair, Miss America Mustang, the 1991 Re-Issue of Miss America (never flown), a 1991 era Fokker D7 (also never flown) and a 1971 Bell helicopter free flight with the .020!
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Aug 03, 2005, 11:12 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Wow, more memories.
I had one of those cox Miss America P-51s. Matter of fact, that was the first control line plane I actually flew for a whole flight with no crack up! Notice I said complete flight, it was actually my 2nd or 3rd CL model. My first was a Cox P-40...never flew it for a complete circle!!!
The more this topic is discussed, the more I miss these old planes.
I have been eyeing the new release of the Top Flight Tudor ARF lately. Sure is tempting me now, even though it's a .40 size, I'm sure it would be fun to fly.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:14 PM
Gravity is just a theory.
Nuevo Mexico
Joined Jul 2004
188 Posts
Sounds like RAFguy has quite the collection of classic CL planes. His mention of the reissue of the Cox Dogfighters brings back yet another memory. I remember the versions sold in the 1970's; if I recall correctly, the Sopwith Camel had some sort of turqoise blue wing. Another subject of lust. When Cox reissued the Dogfighters in the 90's, I finally bought one. By then it seemed tiny; I doubted whether it would really fly. I took it out to the old church parking lot, and sure enough, it did just great. After a bit, I took off the weight on the front end. It was more maneuverable without it, but definitely a bit hairy. Fun little plane.

Unfortunately, the plastic used in these models is very brittle. Mine is no longer flyable; one cabane strut has broken, and there are stress cracks at strut connection points on the wings. It still has that "dawn patrol" look about it, and maybe one day I'll make a copy out of sheet balsa.
Capt Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Crash
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:43 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Hoohoo! Yeah, try it in balsa, it will be a lot of fun! Years ago, I built a Bristol Triplane with ~13" span, and it was a blast; it would loop in what seemed like twice its own length and level flight took all your concentration, but it was truly exhilerating...

The weight of plastic tamed most of these models to the "rock on a string" level, and the only Cox model that was capable of real flight on lines was the foam-wing stunters; they were very, very good. I used to buy wing kits and go from there.
Old Sep 09, 2005, 02:56 PM
United States, GA, Maysville
Joined Oct 1999
235 Posts
I thought I would add a little more eye candy to this thread.

Below are two of my favorites of the Fly'em series - the Mustang and Zero.

Gene
Flyer103 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer103
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: motor gearboxes
Old Dec 08, 2007, 11:18 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1 Posts
Testors Fly Em Zero

Hi All:

I have been looking for a Testors Fly Em Zero to go with my P-40. Condition is an important factor for me. The better condition or completeness, the more I am willing to pay. I would love to find one on the card, but other than condition will not be to choosey. If any one can help me, I would appreciate it

Thanx to all and Regards, Steve
secarisma is offline Find More Posts by secarisma
Old Dec 08, 2007, 04:14 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,272 Posts
I never did get a Testors .049 started. Maybe if I would have had an electric starter back in those days.

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Dec 09, 2007, 08:56 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
True, Testors were harder to start than the Cox reedies, but stripped down they were more powerful. The shaft-timed intake was double-edged, no reverse starting, but easier on fuel... I think I still have one someplace...
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:56 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I still remember buying my son one of those Testor's P-51s. No problem starting the engine. Just never got more than about 11000 rpm out of it. And that was on Cox Red Can racing fuel. Could barely taxi on concrete. Pulled the engine apart a couple times, never got a decent run. Consigned it to the local BFI land fill.

He did do a bit of flying on several Cox powered planes and a couple of my larger jobs, and even some HLG and RC with me, but got won over by cars and girls.

His current interest is his 3 month old daughter and a 91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that he has rebuilt.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Another thing I seem to remember is that the props were junk. I don't remember what worked, maybe a 5 1/4-4.

Ah, cars and girls, the two things that end a young guy's interst in model airplanes. Don't despair, he may come back to the hobby, just not for a few years yet...
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Maybe. He is only 37.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:29 AM
Associate Editor Flying Models
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
670 Posts
Have faith, I'm only 34 and I still fly all manner of model aviation and it survived girls and Jeeps. Until recently I was a Jeep guy too. Logic won out when I realized my 1/4 scale S.E.5a and 1/5 scale Cub fit better in the mini van than the Wrangler, but I sure do miss that Jeep.
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Yup, don't give up yet, 50+; we had a lot of guys in the club who came to models in their 50s, some as reliving the past, others because they passed on the hobby early on. Besides, as long as you are having a blast, why worry about him? ;-)