SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:26 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
What's with the acrobatics over my house?

I was outside with my 3.5 yr old son in the front yard yesterday afternoon. First time since I moved in 4 years ago, I heard a merlin engine approaching overhead. He (red) p51 came in at a couple thousand feet right over my house and did 5 or 6 fast rolls then stopped rolling a few secs then 5 or 6 rolls the other way as he passed the treeline in a straight line and disappeared. I'm all for seeing an old fighter overhead as I was thrilled to see a b25 flying low over my parents house when I was small but aren't there ordinances about acrobatics over residentials? Just curious. I live out in rural Foxboro, Mass but it's not THAT rural anymore.

There was an airshow scheduled in Rhode Island today, so maybe he was just out practicing or maybe he was out to attract attention for the upcoming airshow?

Actually I saw another sport plane perform a loop last year high over our house but he looked to be around 5-10k up and he only did one and left.

We don't live near the flightlines near any airports as the closest is over in the next town.

(Man those rolls looked fast (2-3 per sec?))

Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Old Jun 20, 2005, 01:45 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,677 Posts
Lucky man!
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:06 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
And you are complaining?
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Jun 20, 2005, 01:16 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,507 Posts
As long as you didn't hear the pilot yell "Oh, ****" you're fine.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I would love to see that.
The neatest thing I ever saw was a p51? doing a low flyby past the beach out over the ocean at about 50/100ft.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Jun 20, 2005, 06:17 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
yeah that sounds nice - though I understand your concerns, but personally I like to see that sort of thing.
I had a Pitts special tearing it up within eyeshot of my place about a year or so ago and it was something else to behold. Lovely.

big bird
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Jun 20, 2005, 06:29 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I dont believe you...

I think we need pictures or a video as proof...

ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:19 AM
36 Russky jets
malaysia
Joined Nov 2002
258 Posts
At least he was over you place for a second or two, in Kuala Lumpur we have police choppers showboating, sometimes hovering directly over traffic, and more than once following the road during festive seasons when the highways are jammed. Isnt that illegal or something?
daisycutter is offline Find More Posts by daisycutter
Old Jun 22, 2005, 01:20 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
I just wish I had some warning so I could have gotten my video camera. My wife was in the house and was all upset from the noise thinking it might hit the house. I was yelling to little Phillip to look up and see it rolling but he didn't seem very impressed. He probably thinks they do that all the time now.

The only time I was really mad was when there was some HUGE military multi-prop plane that must have buzzed my last house in Attleboro at treetop level a few years ago. I was in the bedroom and the noise was deafening and the house shook. My only reaction was to hit the floor and pray it passed overhead and not hit. Could have looked out the skylight but was afraid to see how big or close that turkey actually was. Ran outside just after it passed but it was already gone passed the trees.

Was awoken to loud swooshing noises one Saturday to find a very large hot air balloon flying low over my house but at least they weren't doing aerial maneuvers. We just said hello to each other and took their picture and went back inside.

<edit> If they could all just move at least 200' to the left or right of my house would be nicer than directly overhead all the time.

Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Last edited by FFFlier; Jun 22, 2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 04:54 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,093 Posts
If memory serves me right, they're not allowed below 100ft, and aerobatics are only allowed over un-populated areas. The only thing you can do is take note of his/her registration number, and report him/her to the FAA. Be sure to mention exact date/time/location.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:05 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,294 Posts
Airplanes don't do acrobatics--they do aerobatics and I would enjoy them doing it over my house.

BM
BillM is online now Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:29 AM
Unreconstructed
Chickamauga, GA
Joined Jul 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Wallage
If memory serves me right, they're not allowed below 100ft, and aerobatics are only allowed over un-populated areas.
If they are under 100ft and are not crop dusting or landing then I would expect that they are having problems. David
207 is offline Find More Posts by 207
Old Jun 23, 2005, 01:54 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Whatever you do, please don't call the FAA.. They suck hardcore..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:08 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
100ft is only about 3 wingspans up!

Even at airshows there are few pilots who will risk their nice shiny antiques (and themselves) - old/bold pilots syndrome).

Bill - my wife's reaction would be to grab my camera and take as many pics as she could in the time available. It's an overreaction to a miniscule risk to be worried about anyone flying that high.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:15 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,264 Posts
Quote:
I heard a merlin engine approaching overhead

It's when it STOPS making noise is the time to worry

I'm jealous!

Cheers
Paul