HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2005, 06:43 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2 Posts
RC model catamaran?

I want to build an RC catamaran, so I started cruising the internet this afternoon and wound up here. I haven't seen any cats in passing through about 30 websites. Are there any?

I want to test some hull ideas for a beach cat that would be 12 ft. long full scale. Am I on my own here?

John
john.631 is offline Find More Posts by john.631
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:43 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
Try this.

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=37
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 20, 2005, 02:48 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
John,
VMP (Victor Model Products) makes a catamarand. Don't have the address handy, so do a search for "Victor Model Products", shouldn't be difficult to get to. I'm sure there are other manufacturors, I'm just not aware of them...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:45 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
catcatamaran

I just order the WILD CAT from VICTOR MOLDEL the kit is95.95 Or they

will build it for you Try www.victor-model.com KJ
rcbiker is offline Find More Posts by rcbiker
Old Jun 25, 2005, 07:55 AM
Joined Oct 2004
54 Posts
rc catamarans

The rc sailing site has good info on some cats built all over the world; check out Andy Littles' Kwickie.(site appeared down yesterday)
Be wary of building a model cat as a test for a larger boat unless you build it as large as possible-say 6'. The reason is that as the multies scale down they lose pitch resistance which makes even 4 footers(mini 40/F48) hard to sail for beginners.Also a scale rig will generally be too much SA except for the lightest wind-multiple or reefing rigs are required in order to be able to sail as the wind picks up. In the model world so far tri's have proven a bit easier to sail both straightline and tacking.
If you do build a model to test the full size idea I would strongly suggest that you incorporate a movable ballast system(side to side and fore and aft) which, though expensive, will give you a more realitic assesment of performance.
Because of scale factors, again, you will have to watch your sail area and weight: I would suggest making the hulls exact scale with scale ballast(crew) and reducing sail area to less than scale.Always have access to a rescue boat when sailing any type of small multihull. You will have to make more compromises the smaller your test model..Good Luck!
Doug Lord is offline Find More Posts by Doug Lord
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:46 AM
slow & draggy...
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2004
463 Posts
Doug is right - Last year I built a 4 meter (14ft) Performance catamaran of my own design.

www.geocities.com/proteus_catamaran

Im currently building a model of it this summer but hulls need to be much farther apart on a model cat or it
will flip too easily! Heres a link to an old post when I started it. Im about to dust off this project again since they are almost done re-building our local boat pond
Hobie

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289244
Hobiestoke is offline Find More Posts by Hobiestoke