HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:00 AM
Joined Jun 2005
10 Posts
Changing Mode 1 to Mode 2

I'm pretty close to making up my mind and buying an Esky CP2. Problem is, the shop only has Mode 1, and I need Mode 2 because that's what my R/C aeroplanes have and also I fly choppers and that's closer to what they have too.

Is it possible and relatively easy to change the transmitter from Mode 1 to Mode 2? I would imagine that it is just a matter of removing the back cover, pulling the relevant connections off one stick and transferring them across. Also the throttle ratchet would need to be moved from right to left stick.

I am assuming of course that the potentiometers (or whatever they are) on both axes on both sticks are the same and there there is no difference in rate / position / signal. Given manufacturing economics, I would guess that the two stick assemlies are identical (apart from the ratchet).

Anyone done this, or can offer advice?
gavins is offline Find More Posts by gavins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:21 AM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
I swapped a GWS dream starter and all I did was switch the ratchet, and then the plugs on the receiver.. worked fine

RCmart.com used to have a video on swapping a Smartec 4ch Tx which included swapping the connections as well as the ratchet but the dreamstarter had everything soldered onto the board and I didnt want to screw with that. To be honest, you dont want a ratchet anyway, flatten the metal strip so it binds, but not in stages.

Wow.. I found the link..

http://www.mini-heli.com/pnuke/modul...owcontent&id=9
The video link is on that page
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Last edited by Headspin; Jun 19, 2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 07:07 PM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
I did this on my original mode 1 AeroHawk TX after buying a Futaba 7 CHP (which came as mode 2) and rigging it for my brushless setup. I still wanted to fly the 'old' heli but found that the original AeroHawk RX was not compatible with the Futaba (opposite shift). Having made the personal 'shift' from mode 1 to mode 2 (which IMO is better suited to helis) I needed to make the old TX COMPLY.

If I recall I had to do some other messing around in the TX apart from switching cables .. I think I switched the left and right lever assemblies. However, it was by no means hard - just fiddly.

I actually got to play with that old TX last Friday (gave it to my brother ages ago) and putting aside the 'clunkiness' aspect, it was just fine.

Go for it.. I'm pretty sure you can make it work with a little thought.
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho