HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2005, 09:18 PM
Joined Jun 2005
83 Posts
How safe are 10 year old NiCad packs?

I just found about a dozen 6 cell Nicad packs from 10 years ago. Just curious how safe it would be to try and see if I can revive them. What's the worst that can happen to these packs? Is there a possible chance of these things exploding?

If it matters, I did discharge them before I stored them away. The only thing I can really see wrong with them is that the copper bars between cells have a bit of green corrosion on them.

Thanks
foamie is offline Find More Posts by foamie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:04 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,080 Posts
NiCad batteries can last a very long time. I have some that are almost that old that are still good. Cycle them a few times and measure the capacity to see if they are still good.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:12 PM
Permanently Banned
San Antonio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
606 Posts
dang those are some old batterys
hoverboy7 is offline Find More Posts by hoverboy7
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:35 PM
Suspended Account
New York City
Joined May 2005
698 Posts
Yep.. Lol.
Silent is offline Find More Posts by Silent
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:16 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The best life I ever got from NiCds was 11 years... That 4.8 v pack gave me a full 1.5 hrs flying time one week.. and the next week it showed dead (3.6 v) after one short test hop. Attempting to recharge.. it dropped to 1.2 v. (the cells were internally shorting)

I wouldn't bother with trying to revive 10 yr old NiCds.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:34 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2003
410 Posts
I tried to revive some of my race NiCd packs from years ago. They were well cared for, never abused... Sanyo SCRC1700's from when they first came out. Probably around '93.

Attempts at revival was a waste of time. Two of the packs will run a single 10 watt halogen bulb for riding my bike at night........Very poor voltage under load.

IMO, if a rechargeable battery works and is more than about 7 years old, you're very lucky. Batteries do 'wear out'.

Take them to a battery recycler.
Mike4122KSA is offline Find More Posts by Mike4122KSA
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:55 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2004
606 Posts
i think you should try to revive them and post a thread on how you did it so other people can make an atempt to save money and fly with old battery.
i wouldnt put them in any thing past a slow stick though.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 02:11 AM
Joined Jun 2005
83 Posts
yeah, the batteries are quite old, probably older than a lot of the posters here. I just dug them up today while cleaning my garage.

hoverboy7, I will definitely post some pictures and the results. I just wanted to check with people to make sure that I won't be putting my life (or house) at risk by charging these. I do see some yellowish crystal formations around the 2 poles. Not sure if that poses a risk if I charge it.

So from the posts, THEY SHOULD NOT EXPLODE, right? That's really my only concern. As long as they don't blow up, I don't mind spending a few days working on reviving these guys.
foamie is offline Find More Posts by foamie
Old Jun 19, 2005, 03:48 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,782 Posts
No they won't explode or do anything entertaining like that. I have a couple of old 1400 car packs around that age that are still fine. The capacity is a bit lower than it was but that's all. The crystalline formation on yours is not good though....that's usually the electrolyte leaking out.

Since the shelf life of unused NiCds is only around 8 years I certainly wouldn't use them for anything important.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:55 AM
Kansas
Joined Jul 2002
539 Posts
Watch out for wire rot.
The connections to the batteries are the most likely place to find it.
die fliedermaus is offline Find More Posts by die fliedermaus
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:59 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2004
606 Posts
they wont explode they may just fizzle or something if there not going to work.