HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2005, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
164 Posts
Another ION newbie

I have a couple flights in on my new ION now, it is great! I have a geared motor I made myself, pulling 45 amps on 10 GP2000 cells. AUW is 1300 gm. Nice vertical with a 13x11 CAM prop.

So I have a couple questions.

I'm using regular HS-81 servos for everything, should I get the metal gear ones for the ailerons? The reason I ask is because I tried a 10 cell IB3600 pack which is a lot heavier, and I think I heard the ailerons flutter during a dive. It was cooking though! However I like it lighter with the GP2000 cells, and I haven't heard the flutter with these.

I notice some adverse yaw during a roll, especially at slow speeds. Is this normal? Ailerons are 15mm up, 8mm down. Should I have more differential?

Other than that it is awesome. CG at 90mm, nice roll rate, predictable stall, really a cream puff.

Ryan
presslab is offline Find More Posts by presslab
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2005, 05:26 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Any slop in the connections? The metal gears wont really reduce flutter if the torque is the same. If you need to upgrade, the 85BBs have more torque, speed and beefeir gears than the 81s. i have busted 81s enough to opine that the 85 are worth the money. I also own the 125s and they dont fit the ION without cutting into the servo well in the wings. Ask me how I know.

I personally dont like metal gear servos because they wear and need replacing. Otherwise, slop will become a problem.
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old Jun 18, 2005, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2004
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BING!
Any slop in the connections? The metal gears wont really reduce flutter if the torque is the same. If you need to upgrade, the 85BBs have more torque, speed and beefeir gears than the 81s. i have busted 81s enough to opine that the 85 are worth the money. I also own the 125s and they dont fit the ION without cutting into the servo well in the wings. Ask me how I know.

I personally dont like metal gear servos because they wear and need replacing. Otherwise, slop will become a problem.
So how do you know about the 125s?

Thanks for the tip on the 85BBs. I've looked at it some more and I don't see any slop in the joints, I used the parts in the kit. A Z-bend on the servo side and the threaded clevis on the other.

I suspect that it might be my servo mounting method. I used some thin 3M VHB tape to secure the servos and I think it is too compliant. How do you guys mount the servos? I read of heat-shrink over the servo and then Goop it to the wing. Should I try that?

I didn't think about the metal gears wearing out. Makes sense!

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 18, 2005, 07:28 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
You'll have far more slop in your linkages than you'll EVER see in the servos metal gears.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:13 PM
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Joined Aug 2002
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by presslab
So how do you know about the 125s?

Thanks for the tip on the 85BBs. I've looked at it some more and I don't see any slop in the joints, I used the parts in the kit. A Z-bend on the servo side and the threaded clevis on the other.

I suspect that it might be my servo mounting method. I used some thin 3M VHB tape to secure the servos and I think it is too compliant. How do you guys mount the servos? I read of heat-shrink over the servo and then Goop it to the wing. Should I try that?

I didn't think about the metal gears wearing out. Makes sense!

Thanks for the help!
I used hs81's all the way around. In the airleron servos I put zappa-dappa-goo in four corners of the servos. then a couple of balsa blocks on each side of the servo for a little extra strength (probably didn't need). I'm flying with 10 gp2200's and a 3s2p2250 lipoly. I've seen the wings flex but no airleron flutter so far.

And yes it is a sweet plane to fly!
kwilliby is offline Find More Posts by kwilliby
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:20 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
OMG, Kwilliby! What are doing that flexes the wings? I cant wait for my 2200s to finish formatting. I am looking to do some major suicide dives with those. Did you check if you pull more amps on the 2200s? My Jeti 40 is already pretty stretched at 55 amps with the 3S Li-pos. I am seeing the peak voltages of around 14+ volts on my charger.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:31 PM
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Joined Aug 2002
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BING!
OMG, Kwilliby! What are doing that flexes the wings? I cant wait for my 2200s to finish formatting. I am looking to do some major suicide dives with those. Did you check if you pull more amps on the 2200s? My Jeti 40 is already pretty stretched at 55 amps with the 3S Li-pos. I am seeing the peak voltages of around 14+ volts on my charger.
I'd have to check again but I think on the 2200's I'm pulling about 53amps. I've cycled them several times now and they are getting better. I'll check them again.

Flexing the wings? Just a little. I pull the plane veritcle on full power up till about 200', then pull a loop, roll it over and head for the ground. After buzzing the field I hit the throttle while flying level and yank the elevator to head up again. That's when the wings flex a 'little'. . I actually don't see it much but my friends that are watching are telling me how the wings are flexing a bit. They are really impressed with this plane as well. One of them bought one but doesn't have it in the air yet.

What surprises me it how it will thermal. Even with the 2200's this thing will thermal quite well. You just have to get used to it moving faster than a normal thermal ship. It kinda looks like a go-cart zipping around. COOL!
kwilliby is offline Find More Posts by kwilliby
Old Jun 20, 2005, 02:46 PM
Joined Dec 2004
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliby
I used hs81's all the way around. In the airleron servos I put zappa-dappa-goo in four corners of the servos. then a couple of balsa blocks on each side of the servo for a little extra strength (probably didn't need). I'm flying with 10 gp2200's and a 3s2p2250 lipoly. I've seen the wings flex but no airleron flutter so far.

And yes it is a sweet plane to fly!

OK I'm gonna glue the servos down, I already have balsa blocks. Thanks for the tips guys!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 01:31 AM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague
Joined Jul 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:

How do you guys mount the servos?
Thanks for the help!
Hi, I was asking the same question in our local DF over here in CZ, when I was building my ION last year, and I have got reply with pictures attached directly from Josef Palacek who manufactures ION (Hook/Hoot) ships.

He usually heat shrinks servo, catches it with hot glue and then fixes it with pieces of hard balsa as shown on attached pictures (no heat shrink there this time).

Hope this helps.
PiNa is offline Find More Posts by PiNa
Last edited by PiNa; Jun 21, 2005 at 01:47 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 02:15 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Hot glue? ............................ BRILLIANT!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 06:11 AM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
Servo Frames

Better options
Use Servo Frames
http://www.espritmodel.com/accesorie...are.html#frame
modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 21, 2005, 06:25 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,508 Posts
I dont think servo frames are better option in case of ION, but in fully molded wing they are real life saver

BTW: Lot of ppl here in CZ fly ION with these servo holders...
Last edited by PiNa; Jun 21, 2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:21 AM
Joined Dec 2004
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiNa1971
I dont think servo frames are better option in case of ION, but in fully molded wing they are real life saver

BTW: Lot of ppl here in CZ fly ION with these servo holders...
Wow, what an elegant servo holder. Esprit models has these for a good price too!

Hot glue... Stiff, not too sticky, dries fast... I think I might just try it!

OK How about the motor mount? I've sort of hacked my mount a little fitting different gearboxes and such. Doesn't really seem weakened but I guess it would be nice if it were easy to change out.

I epoxy'd the FR4 mount to the fuse and I'm guessing I really can never replace it because of that. Or is there some way to change it out? Should I have used some other glue?

Thanks again all!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:36 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
If you really feel that you need to replace the motor mount, you might try what I did to another plane. I used a small chisel point hobby knife. Using a large handled screw driver as a mallet, I sculpted my epoxied horizontal stab off a plane. Worked really well and fast too by just hitting the glue joints which delaminated the epoxy from the glass.

N.B. I wouldnt do it if you didnt really have to as some of the gel coat will likely chip off on the outside of the fuse. Painting may be necessary.
Last edited by BING!; Jun 21, 2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 02:46 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Wow, what an elegant servo holder. Esprit models has these for a good price too!
These servo holders are also manufactured in CZ by RCM Pelikan (www.rcm-pelikan.cz) and the price here is around 2USD for pair.