HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:14 PM
Palestine, TX
Joined Dec 2004
59 Posts
Help newbie! SS propeller assembly

How does the propeller attach to the shaft on the GWS Slow Stick? Specifics: EP-400 motor, 1060 plastic prop. The instructions completely gloss over all this.

The prop has a hex recess on either side to accommodate a nut, and two nuts are packaged. Super. But then there's washers. Huh? If I try putting a washer on there, it will either block the hex recess on the prop, or it will be on the outside where it will either scoot back to the gearbox or fly off the front.

What is the correct order of assembly here?

Tim
timmus is offline Find More Posts by timmus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:26 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
One of the nuts is used to drive the prop, the other is to hold it tightly on the shaft. Which side of the prop (front or rear) it goes into is not important.

So..........Nut, prop, washer, (sometimes also a lockwasher), then the second nut in front tightens everything down.

Or...........Nut, washer(s), prop, nut. Tighten the nut behind the prop.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
WHOA! What about a prop saver? No nut on the outside unless you like breaking props.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:32 PM
Gamma
Newbury Park, CA
Joined Dec 2004
296 Posts
Hi Timmus:

1. Run one of the nuts on the shaft has far has it will go.
2. Slide the prop onto the shaft over the nut. Make sure the numbers are facing forward.
3 Put the washer on the front of the prop.
4. Pur an external toothed lock washer on next. It's not in the kit. I went to my local hardware store.
5. Run the last nut on the shaft and tighten.
6. Have fou with your SS

Gamma
Gamma is offline Find More Posts by Gamma
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:40 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Or better still...

1) Run nut to end of threads.
2) Put on washer.
3) Install prop saver
4) Secure with nut.
5) Cut shaft down to 3/16ths.
6) Install prop over last nut using rubber bads to prop saver.

Save props and enjoy.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Jun 18, 2005, 09:23 AM
Palestine, TX
Joined Dec 2004
59 Posts
Thanks much! Now I need to search through the threads and find exactly what a prop saver is.
timmus is offline Find More Posts by timmus
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:41 AM
Oldie but goodie
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutat
WHOA! What about a prop saver? No nut on the outside unless you like breaking props.
Prop Saver?

Broken Props?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2005
565 Posts
Yes, look through the threads on prop savers. Boomer just gave some quick but clear instructions today in the Ultimate SS Help thread.

It's pretty simple and very effective. I've flown my SS only 3-4 times. But, I've had the prop pop off of the plane at least 3-4 times on each flight. If I didn't have the prop saver, I'm convinced I would have broken at least 3-5 props by now. As it is, I haven't broken any.

Jason
Jason Paul is offline Find More Posts by Jason Paul
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:13 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,835 Posts
Unless you're using a prop saver, the correct sequence is:

1> Nut to end of threads
2> Washer
3> Prop
4> Nut

The front nut should key into the hex recess in the front of the prop. The torque of the spinning prop shaft will keep the nut tight and the prop itself becomes the prop wrench. If you have the ESC set to hard braking, the nut may come loose when the prop slams to a stop but unless the nut comes clean out of the hex recess, the freewheeling prop will reseat the nut and hitting the throttle will tighten it again.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:52 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,428 Posts
I always did it:
nut to end of threads
prop over nut
washer
other nut
The washer is there to prevent the nut from going in to the recess.
The front nut just holds the prop back against the rear one. All of the torque is applied between the rear nut and the prop.
There is no need for extra lock washers or jam nuts.
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jun 19, 2005, 01:17 PM
Oldie but goodie
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I honestly don't think it matters which way you prefer to do it. Either way seems to work just as well.

On my 3D plane with a 350 "C" ratio box, I installed the 1060HD from my 400 S.S. box. Found some little nylon bushing to adapt from 4mm shaft to 3mm and used a washer on BOTH side of the prop to lock it down. No vibrations and never came loose all the time I flew it this way.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 02:10 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
I always did it:
nut to end of threads
prop over nut
washer
other nut
That's how I used to do it too, and I had constant problems with props coming loose. Then I took the time to look at it from an engineering standpoint, started using the nut, washer, prop, nut method I already mentioned, and ceased to have problems with props coming loose.

And I always had a prop wrench.

A couple of months later I ceased using GWS gearboxes and props and a whole bunch of other problems went away too.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jun 19, 2005, 02:26 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
That's how I used to do it too, and I had constant problems with props coming loose. Then I took the time to look at it from an engineering standpoint, started using the nut, washer, prop, nut method I already mentioned, and ceased to have problems with props coming loose.

And I always had a prop wrench.

A couple of months later I ceased using GWS gearboxes and props and a whole bunch of other problems went away too.

Pete
I guess there is more than one way to skin a Cat! I figured out mine from an engineering standpoint as well !
I never had any problem at all with the prop coming loose.
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:04 PM
Clarkston, MI
Joined Apr 2005
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutat
Or you could just not run into stuff, and cut power BEFORE you land. I'm still usind the original prop without a saver, with a few dozen flights or so on it.
imjony5 is offline Find More Posts by imjony5