HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2005, 09:46 PM
Joined Jun 2004
24 Posts
1/8" Carbon fiber tube Vs, Stock Black fiberglass rods

I purchased my first slow stick today, and while I was at the Hobby Shop I purchased some 1/8" Carbon fiber Tubes, didnt have any rods. After bending on the Stock Fiberglass rods and then bending on the Carbon fiber tubes, They feel about the same strength. Can the Carbon Fiber really be that much stronger, and whats makes them stronger than the stock solid Fiberglass rods?

Thanks
stickflyer is offline Find More Posts by stickflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2005, 09:59 PM
RCAPA #299
Joined Sep 2004
320 Posts
The 1/8'' solid CF rod is much stiffer than the tube.
jg4660 is offline Find More Posts by jg4660
Old Jun 18, 2005, 07:57 AM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
jq4660,

I think you may have it reversed, tube is stiffer than rod, and yeilds more strength for a given diameter/weight. At least that has always been my understanding from the reading and research I have done in that regard. As far as for use to stiffen the Slow Stick's stock wing, the newer black fiberglass or a carbon fiber rod are just fine. Both provide MORE than adequate strength for that purpose under almost all conditions. Especially if the newer, thicker aluminum tubing joiner is used, or better yet, the suggested brass one. The only reason NOT to use tubing instead of rod for the leading and trailing edge stiffeners might be that tubing might be TOO stiff, and may fail under extremely high loads that a more flexible rod might not. So flexiblity might be an advantage if you think that high G turns and aerobatics will be done with your SS. Whereas a tube may provide a slightly more stable platform a bit more free from occillation from wing flexing in a more sedately flown SS. It might also yield a wing that is less prone to flutter at higher speeds too. Another desirable trait at times. Just all depends on what YOU may want in the way of features on you specific SS. Later..................

Joe
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
Old Jun 18, 2005, 09:44 AM
RCAPA #299
Joined Sep 2004
320 Posts
When i just built my latest SS i found the same thing Stickflyer mentions. Mayby it was the ones my LHS had but the 1/8'' tubes were not much different than the stock rods. On the other hand the 1/8'' solid CF rod they had was MUCH stiffer.I ended up using the stock rods with a brass joiner and it seems fine. I did however buy some .070 CF rod and .072 clevices and replaced the cheesy GWS pushrods, this made a huge difference in the control of the SS. All the spongyness is gone and it is now much more precise.

JG
jg4660 is offline Find More Posts by jg4660
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:19 AM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
I did the control rods with Syllivan Golden rod myself........

Joe
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:22 PM
Joined Jun 2004
24 Posts
So do you think it would be safe to use the CF tubes or just use the Stock solid FG rods. I plan on carring a camera at some point, along with Brushless PJS900 and everything to go with it. Dont want to send any equipment to an early grave.

Thanks
stickflyer is offline Find More Posts by stickflyer