SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2005, 09:26 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Printed Tissue Madness (Examples of Printed Tissue Planes)

Due to interest I've changed this thread to one to post examples of printed tissue planes. This is a thread to showcase your completed printed tissue plane, and also a thread for people considering trying the technique to peruse for ideas and inspiration. So, let's try and keep this thread to completed or nearly completed planes.

Questions or details about a technique you have developed should be posted in the Printed Tissue Techniques Tutorial. I'll periodically move any posts about questions and techniques from this thread to the "Techniques and Tutorial thread to keep them in one place.

Ok, to start, these are some of the printed tissue planes in various stages of completion in my workshop.

The little Monocoupe's are 8-inch span versions I build with my boys. My 5-year old picked out the colors he wanted his to be (blue and yellow) and then made the changes in Corel draw with ony minor help from me. Then we cut out the pieces and covered it. The red and white one that's done was cut out, sanded, and covered almost entirely by my 7-year old. These are just chuck gliders they fly at our Micronauts indoor sessions.

The flying wing is a F86 "Toon Jet" version of Gary's Jones' flying wing. I'm having trouble getting enough thrust to get it to fly. I'll get it in the air eventually, but it will require more input from Ralph. It also might have a bad motor as it makes funny noises.

Then there is the P38, waiting on some hardware it needs. And, there is a pure-profile version of the pager Citabria that will use some of the new lighter equipment.

There you have it, workshop Diary of a Printed Tissue Madman. Now, where's that bat? (appolgies to Ozzie Ozzborne )

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Aug 01, 2005 at 07:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2005, 02:36 AM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
342 Posts
Many nice planes before me I see!

What tissue are you using and where do you get it? I've ordered some from free flight supplies a time ago and that was very nice and light, it had a very smooth structure. I spilled some glue on it ... so most of it is unasable ;-(

Johan
nanoflite is offline Find More Posts by nanoflite
Old Jun 18, 2005, 06:36 AM
Netherlands
Joined Jan 2005
107 Posts
Those are very nice planes Gordon.

Do you have the plans for the p38, i got some gear from a foam plane with trust differential that i want to use on a plane like this.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382167

Thanks,

Mark.
Whacky is offline Find More Posts by Whacky
Old Jun 18, 2005, 06:54 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
The tissue is regular department store tissue. Japanese tissue is too porous and open. Just look for an ordinary tissue that is fairly smooth on one side.

The P38 is from graphics I drew up in Corel Draw. No plans yet as it is still in the development stage. I have to make sure it flies first.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jun 18, 2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 07:16 AM
Bethpage Grumman, New York, United States
Joined Nov 2002
2,145 Posts
Gordon,
Very nice work!

Mike
mike glass is offline Find More Posts by mike glass
Old Jun 18, 2005, 08:31 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson
The tissue is regular department store tissue. Japanese tissue is too porous and open. Just look for an ordinary tissue that is fairly smooth on one size.
Gordon,

Any idea on the density (weight per area unit) of the tissue you are using ? Something similar to the tissue paper used for glasses packing for instance ?

J.M.
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Old Jun 19, 2005, 04:50 PM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Gordon, your bunch of planes is looking very well!

here's my peanut size (13" span) Tri Pacer, with the windscreen unfinished (still that old photo), and two pictures of the main fuselage part in unfolded state. The plan is from Fiddler's Green www.fiddlersgreen.net, which means you can buy the hard part for just $2,95.

The paper is from the crafts department of our local buildings supplies store, it is called "silk paper" and is very smooth on one side. The weight is 20g/m^2. Here is a short video of that plane.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Jochen (just building a 2,7m span sailplane )
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Last edited by jberg; Jun 19, 2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:20 AM
Life is so wonderful !
Our beautiful bubble blue...
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Printed tissue is a wonderful way of covering. Find attached my MicroPitts all covered with printed tissue.

Daniel
leider is offline Find More Posts by leider
Old Jun 30, 2005, 09:40 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Nick,
You have to click the "apply" button after choosing the color you want. I might have omitted that little detail. Also, if you are in "wireframe" view, colors won't show up till you switch back to "normal" view.

Gordon
Old Jul 05, 2005, 03:02 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,042 Posts
happy 4th of July

well i'm about 3 hours late, but i got my Independence Day Micro Mite printed tissue plane done - almost in time for the 4th of July. this was my first attempt at doing printed tissue, and i'm pleased with the results. i went with the micro mite cause i've got a soft spot for it, being the first micro plane i built and flew, plus i've built so many, i know how to do it relatively quickly now.

I used CorelDraw 12 and the Micro Mite PDF file plan for the drawings and did the design myself. standard tissue paper from Michaels, 3M77 for adhesion of the backing paper and tissue itself - very light coatings on both. i learned quite a bit on this trial run, but forgot to create some extra boarder so i could overlap the tissue. much thanks to Gordon for his tutorial and the P-38 plans to give me something to shoot for in the next go-round.

the MiMi plane comes in at 4 grams with the tissue. i scaled up the size a bit, making the wing span a little over 8". the extra size will be for when i get my BL motor working, accompanied by the microbatics .5g BL controller. that should give it some extra oomph

anyway, here's some pics.

nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:23 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,042 Posts
P-40E WarHawk

here's my 2nd war bird, the P-40 Warhawk. i havent installed the electronics yet as i got it finished building it a little bit ago, but the first few test glides are quite promising. i should be able to get the electronics in tonight and a test flight tomarrow. here's some stats:

10" ws
bare weight of 4g
estimated AUW of 16g - WAMF clone electronics + 7mm SS motor
coreldraw graphics - post #11 at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+tissue+files+

here's a picture

nick
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:21 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,042 Posts
Citabria and Mosquito

here's my two lastest printed tissue planes. the Mosquito was done a while ago for the X-Twin/AA electronics. i've been meaning to get a video of it, but i keep getting distracted with other projects, namely the Citabria with Gordon Johnsons graphic files (you can see his in the first picture in this thread).

i just finished it last night after a couple days of working with it. i got something like a maiden today, i didnt have enough room to ROG into flight, but it did have the power to lift off. and a bad hand toss resulted in a crash into a box full of metal parts, resulting in a broken gearbox. i removed the gearbox and made it DD and will try it tomarrow.

RX is from the SpinBlade heli, .6g actuator, 130mah cell from AA, LG from an Estes airplane, 7mm SS motor. 13" wingspan and the AUW with the ex-gearbox was just a hair over 20 grams. it should fly quite nicely when i change to a geared 6mm and a smaller cell.

nick
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:12 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
Quote:
RX is from the SpinBlade heli, .6g actuator, 130mah cell from AA, LG from an Estes airplane, 7mm SS motor. 13" wingspan and the AUW with the ex-gearbox was just a hair over 20 grams. it should fly quite nicely when i change to a geared 6mm and a smaller cell.
I started laughing so hard I shot Coke out my nose. Havent done that in 20 years. We must have the same spare parts box, thats a recipe I would put together.

Happy flying

Marc
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:44 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Is there a how-to link anywhere for printing to tissue?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:45 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Doh! I'll read before replying next time

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter