HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2002, 08:48 AM
Joined Apr 2002
20 Posts
Flight simulator for a Mac computer

Hi everyone i am new to this hobby and am looking for a flight simulator that will run on a mac. Is there one out there? I have had no luck in finding one. Thanks in advance
yaakman is offline Find More Posts by yaakman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2002, 10:57 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
If your're talking about an RC flight simulator then I don't think there is Mac version. Your only solution maybe Virtual PC if you have a G3 or G4 Mac. But then I think most of these RC sims use 3D graphics via Direct 3d. Virtual PC is good for business type apps but for games requiring 3d it probably is too slow.

PCs are pretty cheap now and you probably would need only a P3 800 for these to run smooth. As much as I would like to use a Mac for things like this I eventually bought a PC to run flight sims and such.

At least I'm still flying electric instead of IC.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Apr 19, 2002, 01:16 PM
Joined Apr 2002
17 Posts
I feel your pain

I am running a Mac to,so I couldnt run any of these fancy R/C flight sims either I did download an old (UGLY) version of FMS to run on VPC but I dunno,it seems a little TOO dated. My Sky Scooter Pro gets here on the 25th,so Ill let yall know how I do with no flight
sim trying to solo Thank goodness for these forums. Maybe all my hours spent shooting down Spitfires and Mustangs in my trusty 109F-4 will pay off,GO WARBIRDS! (Seriously doubting it)
muzein is offline Find More Posts by muzein
Old Apr 19, 2002, 01:32 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
I've used x-plane

http://www.x-plane.com/

I choose "tower view" and a Cessna. It gives practice of reversed direction when coming toward yourself, controlling overcontrol, lining up for landings and recovering orientation when plane "specks out" in the distance.

Alas, one of the only options we have.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Apr 19, 2002, 07:08 PM
Lets crash and go home
Elizabeth Colorado
Joined Jan 2002
160 Posts
Thats what you get for buying a mac in the first place....
Scudrunr is offline Find More Posts by Scudrunr
Old Apr 19, 2002, 08:54 PM
Joined Apr 2002
17 Posts
Sad...

The ignorance of the Winblows user shines through everywhere it seems. Please dont criticise a sytem that you probably know little to nothing about. The PC may have a scattering of games that I would enjoy on my Mac,but anything design related I cant imagine doing on a PC. Windows and Photoshop..what a joke. Your answer was in no way related to the question the thread creator asked,you simply wanted to try and dissapoint and/or anger someone. Why? I dont have any idea. Sorry about my zealous approach,but I am sick of the constant criticism of Macs everywhere I go. I get enough of it on tech-forums. G'day.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 12:51 PM
Lets crash and go home
Elizabeth Colorado
Joined Jan 2002
160 Posts
of course not, why would I know anything about a mac..!!!

I dont know why you would think that I know nothing about macs, I go to a school where macs are imposed upon us and I have to use them often. I cant stand when I have to get near a mac, yes the macs at our school are not the best macs to be had the OS is the same and its horrible. I mearly recomend IBM users not to make the switch, 90% of people cant be wrong
Scudrunr is offline Find More Posts by Scudrunr
Old Apr 21, 2002, 01:02 PM
Joined Apr 2002
17 Posts
Same old OS? I think not.

Its not really fair to say its the same OS,especialy if it is pre-8.5. That would be like comparing Windows 3.1 to Win2000 and saying its pretty much the same. Have you used MacOS 9.2 or the incredibly awesome MacOS X?.

"I mearly recomend IBM users not to make the switch,"

I think you mean to say Windows users,not IBM. IBM does not create the Windows OS,neither does Dell or Compaq or any of those companys,which people often dont understand. Infact,IBM creates the majority of CPUs in Apple computers,also,many of their high end servers run on modified G4 CPUs.

"90% of people cant be wrong"

Maybe,but id rather have a Mercedes than a Ford any day.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 09:04 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Can we stop this Mac/PC thing. All he wanted to know if he could somehow run a simulator on his Mac. That's his choice of computer and isn't that what America is all about; freedom of choice? That's also why a lot of us here fly electrics only. It's not the predominant form of model airplane power but it's fun, technically interesting and maybe deep down does buck the mainstream.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Apr 24, 2002, 04:17 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2001
86 Posts
i don't know anything about mac's, but lately i saw link link comming by:
DirectX for MacOSX

I don't know if this would enable you to run directX games on your Mac, or if it's just for the software programmers to make it more easy to write games for the Mac.
boxed is offline Find More Posts by boxed
Old Apr 24, 2002, 11:32 AM
Joined Apr 2002
17 Posts
Probly not

I think that having DirectX for MacOS will just allow developers to port hardware and software easier to Apple computers. When OpenGL finnaly became the standard for MacOS (Took WAY to long for Apple to do it) Alot of new gaming stuff started showing up. Oh,anyone who is using a Mac SHOULD try out X-Plane,besides being an awesome Flight Sim,it has a R/C Cessna included and you could probably find more for download on the internet. Or,be cool and make your own in the included plane designer
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:31 PM
Working and living with wife in Helsinki
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
yeah MAC user and i totally hear this! I would never in a million years go back to PC..never!!!! its like once you go black, you never go back!!
bubbly1 is offline Find More Posts by bubbly1
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:38 PM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
And here we see Mac fanboyism ressurect a 6 year old thread....
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren