HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:53 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
Yeah, I like to tease him about not ever playing games. Actually, it was just his choice of course. I'm just a big gamer (even at age 40) and it definitely helped me with picking up RC since it's a very similar skill. I definitely now see that it will take him quite a while to be able to pilot anything even moderately "fast" so this Trainer should help him get some confidence even though I'm guessing he'll still manage to crash it.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Last edited by rpstar; Apr 18, 2008 at 07:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:52 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Crashing is the unfortunate side effect of learning to fly RC...building spare airframes helps , saves time too ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
Tinkerer
RI
Joined May 2005
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
Hey guys, thanks. I like that link at $4 a motor. I found them at goldmine electronics in the link below but due to shipping it's more like $4.25 a motor if you buy 4 ( more if you buy less) where I really only need 2 for two trainers.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G13775

I tried the 350 mounted on the wing but it was going to be near impossible to balance the plane (would have to put a huge battery or weights on the nose). Hence, I'll stick with the j250 and the design as given since my goal is something my 7 year old can fly as well as a friend who is just learning and has poor hand-eye coordination (he was deprived and never played video games as a kid .
That looks like it could be a neat little motor ... but it's not a J-250. If things don't go well, that could be the reason. (Then again, it might work out fine. If so, let us all know :-) )

=-Spike
jfhspike is offline Find More Posts by jfhspike
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:18 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
a quick run on an Amp meter will tell the story ...
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:14 AM
Joined Sep 2007
56 Posts
hi starting to build The trainer1. I trashed a Scotta cub yesterday and wanted something more slow. I ve moulded the cubs wings with a large tube and a heat gun and using a curved piece to get the shape right. Cant i do the same wiht T1 wing?
I dont have the room to buit and operate a bendfoamJig.
Going to build in eps foam and cover it clear tape. With we dont have fanfold here in portugal only very thick bluecore, is it ok ?

i also have this motor TP 2408-12t is it suiteble?
DavidPORTUGAL is offline Find More Posts by DavidPORTUGAL
Last edited by DavidPORTUGAL; Apr 30, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:53 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
All i did for mine was take the foam to the curve on my kitchen counter and rubbed it across until the shape was right. No heat was required and it held the shape for the past 2 years.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:32 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPORTUGAL
hi starting to build The trainer1. I trashed a Scotta cub yesterday and wanted something more slow. I ve moulded the cubs wings with a large tube and a heat gun and using a curved piece to get the shape right. Cant i do the same wiht T1 wing?
I dont have the room to buit and operate a bendfoamJig.
Going to build in eps foam and cover it clear tape. With we dont have fanfold here in portugal only very thick bluecore, is it ok ?

i also have this motor TP 2408-12t is it suiteble?
In Europe Depron (another name I found: climaform) is easier to find, and close in features to fanfold. EPS is usuallythicker, but if you are able to cut it thin, perhaps could do. For bending depron, I also use SGTalon method (but on the inner side I trace lines with a pencil, to help bending).
Regarding where to find depron in Portugal, on this forum there is at least a portuguese guy working with it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377049
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino
Old May 02, 2008, 01:14 PM
Joined Sep 2007
56 Posts
Sorry guys for be such a pain but id realy like some help...
The smaller prop i can buy is a 7x4 can i trimm it down to 6x4??
How about the motor is it to much the TP 2408/12t???
I plan to build the T1.5

Thanks again guys and sorry but im learning alone and the cub is to fast for me.
Old May 02, 2008, 02:03 PM
Tinkerer
RI
Joined May 2005
184 Posts
Quote:
I plan to build the T1.5

Thanks again guys and sorry but im learning alone and the cub is to fast for me.
David-
Does your name indicate that you're actually IN portugal? If you're in the US, why not just let me mail you a J-250 and a couple of 4025 props? I've got a bunch of spares, and if they help you get in the air, it's worth it to me.

(You can PM me, but it might take a day or two for me to notice...)

-Spike
jfhspike is offline Find More Posts by jfhspike
Old May 02, 2008, 03:30 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
I plan to build the T1.5

I do not know that motor, but there is room for a 7x4; actually, I use that size on my KF modified T1: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817569
Old May 02, 2008, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
56 Posts
Thanks a lot, you are a very good person spike !!! But i am in Portugal, we dont have that kind of motors here the LHS dont carry them they only have GWS brushed and modern brushess at ridiculus high prices. So i buy in hobbycity pay customs amd still its 1/4 of price!!! The problem is that HC is very slow and i dont want to wait for a month to get my gear and put the T1.5 in the air... So i got to use my spare gear.
thanks tachino for the link
Old May 02, 2008, 07:09 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
DP, you need a trainer1 1/2...Flies great on a GWS geared 300-370 brushed , and flies REAL SLOW...

"USE WATCHA" GOT !!!!! Fun Per Buck Club !!!!!! Rule #1
Old May 02, 2008, 11:11 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
Godfather,

I remember seeing way back that you get your bamboo from somewhere cheap but i forget where now.

Please remind me.

Thank you Godfather...

SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old May 03, 2008, 01:32 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Thanks a lot, you are a very good person spike !!! But i am in Portugal, we dont have that kind of motors here the LHS dont carry them they only have GWS brushed and modern brushess at ridiculus high prices. So i buy in hobbycity pay customs amd still its 1/4 of price!!! The problem is that HC is very slow and i dont want to wait for a month to get my gear and put the T1.5 in the air... So i got to use my spare gear.
thanks tachino for the link
David: here in EU a good source of low cost items is GiantCod , which is in UK but with prices close to HobbyCity and quick delivery (in a week or so versus three from HK, here in Italy). No brushed, however.
However, if you search on this thread for 2408 (use the above link), you can find some report on its use (in other versions).
Old May 03, 2008, 08:00 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
Godfather,

I remember seeing way back that you get your bamboo from somewhere cheap but i forget where now.

Please remind me.

Thank you Godfather...

If you want small diameter bamboo you can often find diner table place mats or window roll down shades that are both made of small, but long, bamboo twigs. You can also find skewers that are fatter than that - now that Spring is coming in the NE US, I have seen many cheap ones on sale. The twigs are just tied together with wrapped string - easy to cut away.
Dollar stores have some of those, as do many big box stores. I got my lifetime supply of bamboo in the form of a window shade at IKEA - a Swedish home furnishing chain of stores that is all over the world. It was on sale in their "damaged goods" room for $6 - 4 feet by 6 feet! But the nearest on to Rochester is three hours away in Canada.
If you want larger diameter bamboo, buy chop sticks - but they are not very long.
I think a bundle of the small diameter twigs would make a suitable T1 fuse' spine.

Walt Bankes
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Last edited by Kokopeli; May 03, 2008 at 08:27 AM.