SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:19 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,062 Posts
"Purple" thread lock from UH eats props
I just decided that my next build would be a T1 with a KF wing.
So I went to the basement to pick out a motor - don't want to take the motor out of my current T1 since I want to experiment on that wing by cutting slots in it - found an unused GWS 2205-15T that has Kv=2100 - hummmm.... small prop > might be able to put an unrecommended 3s LiPo on it, eh?
Picked up a GWS 7 x 3,5 prop and bolted it on - hey, I haven't broken a prop on my T1 yet, so why use a prop saver.
Hummmm.... just got a UH shipment a week ago with some cheap thread lock.
Put some on the prop shaft and went upstairs for a well earned nap.
Much later... went to the basement, picked up the motor by the prop and the hub broke in two. Darn, must have tightened the nut too hard. Looked closer and saw that the hub looked "crumbly". Well the nut didn't come off but the prop sure did.
Anybody else seen this happen, eh?

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:18 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Some chemicals don't get along with plastic ....
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:07 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I have a Gpw elevon trainer.....its called a Vx.
Havent built a Trainer One but the Trainer 2 is bound to be a goodie.
Same concept as before ?
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:35 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite
"Purple" thread lock from UH eats props
I just decided that my next build would be a T1 with a KF wing.
I did it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1340
Absolutely not bad, and also easy to balance even with Lipos. Easier to build than the already easy original (no foam bending needed).

I also did a TrailerOne (i.e., Trainer One with ailerons) again with a KFm2 wing, to learn ailerons. And absolutely not bad this one too: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1351
With the very small dihedral I gave I was still able to turn with rudder. I plan to remove also that to see how will fly.
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:30 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Er, Dekan , I wouldn't exactly call the VX a "trainer"... T-2 might be "the next step"..
Tacc , glad you're having such great success...with both
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:47 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Er, Dekan , I wouldn't exactly call the VX a "trainer"... T-2 might be "the next step"..
Tacc , glad you're having such great success...with both
however, I'm convinced the original glides a little bit better. Perhaps the super easy KF step made just by gluing the strip on the wing is thin for that chord (I do not know how step height relates to flight features). I cannot compare now, because my first T1 needs some small rebuilding (I already cut the fuse, but there are days with very little free time for me).
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:53 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Tacc , little free time for everybody ...hahahaha

I had a crazy idea... ... what about an EDF mounted where the motor is , or maybe on top of the wing in that location (in the clean air)??? Lots of cool noise , little thrust ... perfect for a trainer, and sounds cool ... gotta' be LIGHT though...Crazy huh ???
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:40 PM
Tinkerer
RI
Joined May 2005
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Tacc , little free time for everybody ...hahahaha

I had a crazy idea... ... what about an EDF mounted where the motor is , or maybe on top of the wing in that location (in the clean air)??? Lots of cool noise , little thrust ... perfect for a trainer, and sounds cool ... gotta' be LIGHT though...Crazy huh ???
I know this is a little off-topic, but can someone tell me why people like EDFs? I mena, I guess it's nice that the prop can't hit your fingers, but is there something else that I'm missing? As GPW says, "noise, little thrust"...next thing you know, they're gonna be trying to sell me a car with "really uncomfortable seats, and low gas mileage, too!"
jfhspike is offline Find More Posts by jfhspike
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:49 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Gpw.......I have flown so called aileron trainers that are far harder to fly than a VX...
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:49 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,740 Posts
Why not a channel wing channel right in the middle?
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:14 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Spike , I think they just like playing "jet"...that and the noise ...EDF's never worked that well for me , got a couple new ones lying around...waiting...
Dekan , Perhaps...I always thought of the VX as "high performance" Schmaybe' we need to design a specific aileron trainer...???
Spring, Now there's an idea!!! T.K.F.Custer... with a name like that , it could be a southern politician ...hahahahaha
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:31 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,062 Posts
GO GPW - YEAH! AILERON TRAINER.
I'm gonna wait for the video

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:37 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Dekan , Perhaps...I always thought of the VX as "high performance" Schmaybe' we need to design a specific aileron trainer...???
Spring, Now there's an idea!!! T.K.F.Custer... with a name like that , it could be a southern politician ...hahahahaha
When I had to start aileron training, I found myself in trouble. SS was not so easy; aileron variants of other R-E-T planes perhaps, but not with the easy building and repair features of T1.
So, go with that trainer! (I hope I do not need it more... but in any case...).
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:49 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Guys, the secret of an aileron trainer is dihedral ...having a little bit of dihedral makes the plane stable in roll...too much interferes with the operation of the ailerons ...Take a Trainer one for example , if we fly it as it is with ailerons, they won't be too efficient and may cause other problems.. the already generous dihedral and the high wing configuration already makes it too stable for ailerons.. reducing the dihedral to about a third of the original measure, will help ...making it flat (no dihedral) still benefits from the high wing (weight under the wing ,pendulum effect) stability , but seems to be affected more by winds ...a little is good...
On the Stealth Sport ,a little dihedral will do the same thing , about an inch and a half at each wingtip should be overly stable , yet turn with the elevons...try to keep all the weight on the bottom of the plane ...We want the plane to be naturally stable and yet turn well...
Now we know all about aileron trainers ...Right ?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:10 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
In fact, my TrailerOne has only a little bit of dihedral, given simply by pushing the wing while gluing skewers (this is possible because the KF wing is flat, with some flexibility):

By the way, with a 7x4 prop I also did a loop... it's spring, after all.
As now, I would try without dihedral at all, to be more prepared to instability.

On the other side, I'll try to add dihedral to my SS, and to put electronics on the bottom. I avoided that not to ruin it, because when I tried, grass was wet. I'll add some protection (e.g., a 3mm depron wall).