SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2008, 10:49 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
Thanks for all the advice..

@msmith
after reversing the prop few times on other planes.. Make it a point to double check. and thrust was "pusher style" ie when i gave throttle during bench testing it was blowing air onto the tail feathers.
It might be brittle foam I think i'll stay with one layer-A lighter plane will handle better as you all say..

@gpw
I'm rebuilding the fuse again.. about 10mins worth of printing/sticking/cutting so not a big deal.. I'll also get to re check the wing incidence.
Thanks for the Cg location shall change that!

I think I'll take some pics of the balancing, lest what I think is perfect balance is actually nose heavy.

I'll also try to get someone else to launch it for me next time or make some LG for it..

-Ashwin
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2008, 12:08 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy king
after reversing the prop few times on other planes.. Make it a point to double check. and thrust was "pusher style" ie when i gave throttle during bench testing it was blowing air onto the tail feathers.
Spy: even reverse prop will blow on the right side, but with much less thrust. It's the motor rotation direction that gives air direction. So, consider to check it: I lost much time on my first plane in that way (no thrust, nose in the ground)...

Regarding depron, I'm using it in single layer without problems. However, if not original, could have different features (I use also another kind that seems brittler than true depron).
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino
Old Jan 09, 2008, 12:13 PM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
Hmm.. what you say makes sense.. Shall check again..
I don't think my depron is the original. ( I got it from the craft dept at school hehe )
but it's ok.. I plan on flying next time.. not crashing..

-Ashwin

Edit: just checked.. It was fine.. But I think when I had fit the prop adapter, I had tightened one nut more than the other( GWS stainless steel adapter ) so that seemed to have caused a slight wobble. Shall correct that this time

hehe.. you learn so much from crashes.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 01:50 PM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith
Snip..

Lastly, it is hard to really see in your pictures and hard to tell on a 4040 gws prop anyway, but verify that your prop is on facing the correct way... The numbers/letters should be facing towards the nose of the plane...

good luck... keep us posted...

wait! The numbers/letter should be facing the nose? the same way it would be in a puller setup??

Hmmm that may just be the cause i thought for a pusher, the number/letters should be facing the tail.

ok. I just reversed the prop and checked. god. no wonder it didn't fly!
darn. now I feel bad.. such a silly thing. hmm live and learn.

Now I can show those kids at the park. They were laughing real hard when I crashed..

EDIT: I went and did more research(searched around on RCG)
And now I understand why it never flew.. Thanks all for clearing this up!!
Last edited by Spy king; Jan 09, 2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 02:20 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
...ok. I just reversed the prop and checked. god. no wonder it didn't fly! darn. now I feel bad.. such a silly thing. hmm live and learn.
Ashwin - It won't be the last time you do it... 'Trust me'

I actually did it 3 times in one weekend about a year ago...

Good luck with your re-maiden
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jan 09, 2008, 02:42 PM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
haha.. must have been an interesting weekend..

What I thought would be a 10 min cut and glue job has become a full flown 3 hour rebuild.. hehe.. But I'm enjoying it!

It's 2am here.. if I finish my rebuild tonight.. I'm going flying tomorrow
Last edited by Spy king; Jan 09, 2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 07:03 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
What I thought would be a 10 min cut and glue job has become a full flown 3 hour rebuild.. hehe.. But I'm enjoying it!

It's 2am here.. if I finish my rebuild tonight.. I'm going flying tomorrow
Hi Ashwin!
Have to admit I'm really enjoying your saga here. You truly have the right attitude to be a success. Not only are you ready to put in the work required to get the job done but, best of all, you are very much humble enough to take advice and be gracious about it. I'm sure with the help and support of those here, combined with your apparent abilities, you will be flying very soon.

Wishing you the best on your 2nd(?) maiden!

golem
golem is offline Find More Posts by golem
Old Jan 09, 2008, 11:52 PM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
Thanks golem for that!

Now for some pics of what I'm managed so far.
Shall attach the wing after the CF glue dries.

PS:I must confess that when I cut the new fuse, I was out of xcato blades, and the old one had blackened a little. I didn't have access to box cutter blades as well so just sandpapered it a little. Hence all the ripped foam on the long cuts
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:35 AM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Oct 2004
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Omaha: Really cool setup. How about more info on the specific camera, etc? 9 (I note that you have a relative large "transmitter" onboard - don't remember that from the ones I looked at on ebay) I and a friend have been bantering about doing this for a month. Even bid on one of the wireless cams, but lost at the last minute (lots more available I'm sure) I really like the pan feature. Do you just turn it "on" when you start up and let it run the entire flight?
Springer,

I have been away for a while, sorry I haven't replied until now. This is the camera system I bought off of ebay. The camera TX also works as a Downlink for my Sony digital camera.

Basically I turn on my ground station first (powered with the AC adapter), then I plug the flight battery into the ESC, and last I plug a 9V alkaline battery in, to power the camera. After my flight I unplug in the opposite order. So to answer your question, the wireless camera stays on for the whole flight.

When the weather gets warmer around these parts, I'll try to get some in flight video. My ground station box is finished and I'll try to get a picture or two of it posted later on this week. I flew with it once already, but the weather was so cold when I tried (20 degrees or less) the Camera, camTX, or camRX didn't function as it did in warmer weather. When I came back home and once the equipment reached room temperature, everything worked as it should.

Later,
Omaha
omaha_rc_flyer is offline Find More Posts by omaha_rc_flyer
Old Jan 10, 2008, 01:54 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
Sorry.. But a quick question..

33% of cord thats 7 inches comes to 2.31 inch = 5.8674 centimeters now is this measured taking into account the camber of the wing or as a straight line from the LE?

Also on the plans does this mark the CG?(attached pic)
Old Jan 10, 2008, 02:38 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Sorry.. But a quick question..

33% of cord thats 7 inches comes to 2.31 inch = 5.8674 centimeters now is this measured taking into account the camber of the wing or as a straight line from the LE?

Also on the plans does this mark the CG?(attached pic)
I think you have to consider a straight line (so, a little bit less than 7", by the way).
On mine, I first put the cg around the marked point, then doing some glide tests I was able to reach a comfortable position.
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino
Old Jan 10, 2008, 05:35 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,127 Posts
Sorry , I should have used a standard CG marking on the plans ... that little black triangle is how I mark the Cg on my planes ... next time it'll be corrected... with a standard circle with two opposing quarters blacked out...
Glad you guys got that all sorted...
We NEVER have put a prop on backwards ... this week
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:33 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
T...... I was out of xcato blades, and the old one had blackened a little. I didn't have access to box cutter blades as well so just sandpapered it a little. Hence all the ripped foam on the long cuts
If you can find a small sharpening stone you will NEVER have to get new blades.
Everytime you pick up a knife just give it a few "licks" on the stone and each cut will be like a brand new blade. (got this hint from Gene - it works great)

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:38 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
good idea.. I was thinking of using grinding stones.. hmm next time I got to the market shall get one of stones the carpentry guys use to sharpen their chisels..
Old Jan 10, 2008, 09:54 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
The flat metal plates with diamonds bonded into them are even better than the stones. Lowes, Home Depot and WallMart have 'em.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar