SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2007, 06:44 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Just a quick catch-up on my Trainer One,

I was able to trim it well and fly two long (full battery charge) flights. Motor trim for my own beat-up but still flying-great plane required a .032 shim at the rear of the motor mount. Instead of aluminum shims, I decided to use music wire bent in an "L" shape with the long leg inserted under the motor.

That way I was able to make up a few shims in advance from different sizes of music wire. They are easy to insert or pull out because of the L shape, and once I got the right one, the "handle" part was swiveled up parallel with the motor stick pushed in a little more and sealed in place with a small dab of hot glue.

We have since been hit with a Noreaster that is continuing to flood this area with a miserable mix of snow freezing rain and downpours. Two days of it now, and it looks like it willcontinue this week.

Gosh -- so nice to see green grass in the last post. Springer your plane looks great -- so does your landing strip!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:56 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,622 Posts
Thanks, If you had seen that patch of grass last week, it would have been all white too! Even with the green, the 45mph wind keeps me indoors! spring/summer will come eventually though!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:59 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,622 Posts
Congrats on your successful tuning! neat idea on the wire shims. Ain't it great when we can get one to really fly?!?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2007, 06:29 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Amazing what a little piece of wire can do , eh ????
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:53 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,622 Posts
Took a popsickle stick of thickness out of front of motor on my T1.5 yesterday with hopes of flying today, and got up to still air, but by time the coffee was hot, wind was 10mph and raining! darn!
Say, gpw, as father of the T1, what is the proper designation of the 150% size version? (need to be correct here!)
Also, any luck with FMS and PPjoy?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:31 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Proper designation ...??? trainer one and one half...????
MS came over and tried to make it work (3rd time ) .. we gave UP and ordered the whole FMS set-UP from BP... er, BH...If that doesn't work , I'll just build on those windy/rainy days ...
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:46 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,622 Posts
Yeah, there's always that. (actually today's one of those rainy build days,for me, but everything is glued up and still wet, so gonna have to do something out in the barn mower oil and prep). What was happening w/ FMS? computer not recognizing tx? or more serious?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2007, 01:10 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
PPJoy defininitely looked promising, but we started getting IRQ conflicts w/ the parallel port and couldn't get the TX to recognize.

We found the sim transmitter + FMS package @ bphobbies for $30 or $39 and figured that'd be a faster solution then trying to troubleshoot this parallel cable any further.

-ms
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Apr 18, 2007, 03:33 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Hey Springer, hope your weather clears soon.

A popsicle stick thickness could be a heavy duty change, depending on how long a distance it acts over.

I made a mistake of that magnitude with a change the thickness of a thick washer on my previous plane. That's why it IS my previous plane! Well not mine really, it belongs to the dead hemlock tree which is holding it firmly aloft through all these storms at about 6o' AGL.

It did some spectacular loops hands-off before I could figure out, in my newbie numbness and awe, that the remedy was killing the throttle. I did do that, finally, at the bottom of the 50 foot loop that inserted in the hemlock it now calls home.

At least I saved the prop.....

To misquote GPW "Amazing what a little washer can do, eh!"

oh eh, alright! I'm totally eh on that.

(over a 1 inch distance .018 is one degree of thrust change, more or less)
Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2007
64 Posts
AHHHHH!!!!!I am tearing out my hair. We are having a storm here in Narragansett Bay. The wind is blowing stick and the rain just won't stop. Worst of all I have a new plane to try. It's a T-1 with a wing down low. It's located 1/3 of the way up to protect it. Since I won't be able to fly until this weekend I thought i would ask if you guys think it will work. Thanks!
-Rick
RickSmithers10 is offline Find More Posts by RickSmithers10
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:33 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,622 Posts
Vtdiy: Perhaps you're right. Guess I should cut up some short lengths of each of the wires I have. They're only the fine control wires, but could add back in some of what I took out. If the wind ever lays, I'll take them with me to test. I figured since the T150% is so slow and stable, nothing should happen faster than even I could handle. on the other hand . . . .

RickS: I know just how ya feel. Rain and wind all day. Funny, I never noticed how much of the time the wind blows in Michigan til I got into these foamies.

MS: Bummer about the cable. Before I got the usb cable from Dymond, I was using a cobbled cable in my Futaba and a program called smartpropoplus. It connects to the mic-input port or line-in. It worked ok, but the usb is way more convenient. (the futaba end was a jumper and two wires all folded and soldered to approximate the 6pin DIN connector I couldn't get at Radio Shack) You might try propoplus - Link was on the FMS website - while waiting for the new package to come.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
"I figured since the ___________ is so slow and stable, nothing should happen faster than even I could handle."

I know this voice.....so familiar.....just can't quite place it.......
Old Apr 19, 2007, 06:25 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
The whole idea of a trainer(IMO)is a plane that flys by itself...The new pilot , merely interrupts the attempts of the plane to fly away or into a tree(trees are BAD for beginners,large open fields of soft tall grass are GOOD)...The T-1.5 with a higher camber airfoil flies REALLY SLOW...especially if you're using lighter components ...weight is still everything ...
Thrust adjustments are a compromise like everything else on a plane ... set it the best you can get and fly it awhile ... even my best trimmed planes require some trim change between high speed and slow flight ...
Old Apr 19, 2007, 07:57 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,622 Posts
Vtdiy: Yeah, that is one of those "famous last words" ones On the other hand, the wind was "almost" calm this am and I got out and flew the pete and T1.5. The downthrust seems to be about right (oddly enough). Flying into the wind at full throttle, then cutting it, gave straight, flat, glide with almost no drop. Throttle on gave little nose up, then straight slow climb.
I did notice two things (every flight is still a big learning experience for me). First: since there was some wind (couple mph) when I ran downwind then turned back upwind, the plane would really drop the inside wingtip and want to keep spin down. I managed to straighten it out (well once i didn't). Is there a sequence of rudder/ele or some technique to avoid this? or is that just learning to fly?
Second, the power seems to drop off noticeably on both planes after first few minutes of flying. still flys, but climb is weaker, less authority in control. The temp was right at 32. Is this how the Nimh temp senstivity manifests?
gpw: you're exactly right. nubees need something that flys "right" so we can make control inputs and see the effects without the plane crashing catastrophically before we can take our hands off or correct And your T suits that to a "t".
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2007, 07:25 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Springer, if you've got a meter, probably time to check how many amps you're running through the motor full thrust. 850 mah isn't big these days and you probably don't want to pull more than 6 amps off a battery that size for very long. Your duration at that rate won't be long.

32 isn't that cold, and if you're drawing a fair number of amps, the batteries provide their own warmth. Touch them at the end of the flight to see how you are doing -- you don't want them too warm, but I doubt they're at 32 either. If you're drawing too many amps, they may actually be too hot, rather than too cold.

I'm not sure what physical size your cells are, but if they are 2/3 AA size then you could almost double capacity with no weight increase (assuming you want to stick with Nimh). There are 1500 mah 2/3 AAs -- and probably even higher. They all weigh the same, more or less, as long as they are that 2/3 AA physical size.

The larger capacity cells can deliver more power (to get you to cruising height sooner), and then you can throttle back to greatly extend the flight time. By throttling back the cells will deliver power more efficiently, the prop will be operating more efficently, etc. Full power is wasteful.

I will try a Motocalc sim of your setup to see what it says and let you know.