HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2007, 08:42 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
I know others have reinforced the joint at back of wing where it meets the fuselage through a variety of methods.

I broke that joint 3 times, and then made a very simple change which adds virtually no weight.

Just a 2" length of bamboo swewer laid fore'n aft on top of the trailing edge extending onto the fuselage. It starts at the slot and lays about an inch or so over the fuse. Hot glued on. Stiffens the fuselage against flexing here and ties the trailing edge bamboo skewer to the fuselage. Has held up well since.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; Apr 08, 2007 at 11:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2007, 11:28 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,933 Posts
Actually, you're exactly right! Got a couple of inches on the ground, and forecast is only 40 for the next week. Probably windy too. I'm trying not to envy you guys down south. . . . Re the cockpit, I built it before I read that GPW quit making them with the skewer. Actually it provides a great way to pick up the plane!

Yesterday I started a T1.5, gonna try to use my old Futaba receiver and servos, with geared 280 and 1047 prop. Hope it will lift them. I couldn't resist tinkering with this second one. gonna try a fuse using the Parkflyer Pete 3 ply laminated idea. It seems a bit stiffer, relatively speaking than the original single ply with stick. Also trying the 40percent of chord double thickness airfoil for stiffness. It's not all together yet but looks to be about 10 oz fuse, wing and horiz. stab. When the foam is so cheap, one just can't resist tinkering

gpw, will the skewers still be good enough to brace the wing or will I need something more substantial?
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2007, 07:27 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
VTD, great Mod ...!!! everybody should do that ...
The cockpit (hole and skewer) was done for looks , we later abandoned it , but went back when we realized the increased frontal area affected the flight ...didn't turn as well ... very non-critical ...
Spring , for larger radio gear we went with the T-One 150% ... much larger(600+ sq. in. wing area) , and a real SLOW flyer...even easier to fly than the little one ... we used a BP-21 and 3s 1800's on the big one ...built 3... one of which is now loaded down with all manner of lighting devices , a real slow night flier...Fun Stuff !!!
Bamboo is extremely strong in tension , so a single skewer will do an amazing amount of work ... we've never had a skewer strut failure in the air ..... broke a few in crashes , but easily replaced...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:25 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,933 Posts
Well, skewers it is! I'll use them, and do the vtdiy mod on back of wing. I didn't use the skewer on the wing TE on my original, and get lots of flexing at that joint, but hasn't broken yet. . . . I would guess more forces acting there with the larger wing area on the T1.5, so reinforcement should help.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2007, 02:36 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
I forgot to add that I added a small (2" total) U shaped piece of tape down over the brace onto the fuselage. This prevents-tear out further down on the fuselage. Things can still flex, but won't tear.

I don't know if the fff blue planes keep their plastic sheating on -- my peeled foamcore version needs this piece of tape because there is no sheathing.

Got two flights in this morning, but both times launched in calms and got hit by gusts. Had a fairly long climb in the last flight, round and round, doing turns to keep it in a small area. But got nervous when the gust hit and brought it down.

Two good landings.

I noticed today that I had very little rudder control when gliding, though fine under power. I did limit rudder throw to 1/4", and I have the small rudder version.

I'm thinking about increasing the rudder throw a little, as I almost got into trouble in the glide. I'll just have to be careful under power.

Still couldn't do the trim tests because of the wind gusts.
Old Apr 09, 2007, 05:25 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
VTD , with less wind blowing on the rudder , power off, no propwash, it will respond slower... we use dual rates for that ... more throw in the glide ...but don't worry , it will keep you out of trouble .
Too windy all weekend , still windy ..
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:49 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
I barely missed the treeline while standing on full left rudder going "come on, come on, come on" etc. Seemed like it took an age to turn that last 20 degrees. That's keeping me out of too much trouble!

Think I need to live a bit more dangerously.

I know, I know when I spin in, don't come crying Trainer One made me do it....

But as I've learned only too recently, I'd rather crash than tree it any day. I drive 5 miles to look at my last plane 60 feet up a dead hemlock once a day, hoping all that strapping tape will let go at some point in my lifetime.

The only part of that plane that came down was the stab -- with my name and address on it!
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:01 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
We waited a week , watching a T-150% in the top of a tall(sticky) cypress tree, when we went back , it was gone ??? no name on it , of course
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:07 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Flew this morning, wind calm to light. Had a CG problem from all the previous repairs and not checking. It was too far forward, Wouldn't climb -- just hung there at a high angle of attack with full up trim. I put it down rather hard from 4 feet when I cut the throttle. The snow had frozen to an icy crust overnight, so it was like cement. Broke the wing at the polyhedral joint, and the fuselage had a big crack. Went inside and repaired all. Checked the CG and found out the problem. Repositioned the battery.

Flew again, this time she climbed well, but turn rate was too low because I needed more left trim (100%) and there wasn't much left with the limited throws (I still haven't changed that). But I got pretty high without a gust. Did a lot of spiral climbing. Was getting better at the controls. I used to blip them, like the old reed days. But now I was using the stick more like proportional, anticipating better and flying smoother. Decided I needed to lose altitude, as it was getting up there where the winds might take it away if they came up.

Cutting throttle she seemed to stay put. There must have been an updraft at the tree line. Kept trying to come down, but was maintaining. Then she did start down but heading into the trees, again tried to turn, but the response was too low in the glide. Went into a 60 foot poplar. Plane tumbled from branch to branch all the way down. When I got to the crasdh site, on the ground was a neat pile of used materials.

Broken keel stick Wing in several pieces, fuselage torn up.

Went inside. Five minutes with a glue gun and packing tape, I had a plane again! Course it looks like it has been through a shark attack, but took it back to the field to see if it would still fly. Sure enough, had a good flight until the battery finally ran out about a minute into it. Landed and headed back home.

Ahhh foam! Hot glue! Electric power! GPW!
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Now that you're over the "break-in period", it should fly GREAT !!! More throws Please,avoid those trees !!!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:36 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Had a great day flying -- Flew and recahrged the 6-cell twice, then tried out the 8-cell because I was too impatient to wait another couple of hours. Now I understand what a lot of the earlier difficulties were -- I was flying behind the power curve sometimes on the 6-cell.

But it was good practice -- I can keep the plane inside a 150 foot square bounded by trees at 20 feet altitude with barely cimb power and all that in occasional gusts.

Today though, climbing with more power I got the plane up 100 feet, and flew out the battery. This is really my first successful flight. It is a lot easier up there with a range of throttle control.

I'm very impressed with this little 180. But I'm looking forward to trying a J250.

I feel that the engine needs a shim at the rear -- I zoom on power off, dive on full power. This may have also been a problem all along.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:53 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Try adjusting that motor a little at a time ... the motor angle is causing you to carry extra UP trim to counter the down thrust of the motor ...more neutral please...
Old Apr 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
I figure a piece of .020 aluminum flashing should give a bit over 1 degree of thrust angle change, in an inch of motor support, so I'll try that under the rear of the motor.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:25 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
That's a plan !!! you might bring a couple pieces ...just in case ...
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,933 Posts
T1.5 flys!

I built the T1.5 over the last week and maidened it on saturday (along with what might be a re-maiden (??) of my Parkflyer Pete (info on the pete thread). While I built the original T1 right to plans (except the full width elevator), I got wierd with this one. Used three ply pink fff for fuse (as with Pete), and did folded airfoil (more like the eppler than KFM, i guess, but it makes a nice stiff wing). power is GWS EPS 150c B motor (4.43:1 gearing) and 1047 prop. Batteries: 8.4v 850 mah nmih's. Used my Futaba "full size" receiver and servos. test glided it and got some nice long floaty glides without dips. Launched it and she climbed steadily to a good height to try steering it. Handled really well, nice and responsive, no hobbyhorsing like my T1 does. GPW is right it can be really slow! It almost pivots on the wingtip at some points. I must have flown for 10 plus minutes - maybe the longest i've flown yet! Now time for some tuning questions. She climbed 'ok' at launch, but after flying a while, didn't seem to be able to rise like it should - gave her full throttle and some up ele, attitude changed very little, extremely small amount of climb for good forward movement. I set the motor up w/gearbox on top to facilitate mounting (zip tie to maple strip with two skewers glued to edges) That puts the prop about 7/8" above the wingTE prop shaft axis just kissing the top of wing airfoil. CG balances at 4.5" aft of LE on a 9 3/4 chord. Since it seems to glide ok, I'm thinking that the thrust angle needs changing. I should set the rear of motor up slightly, correct? Any ideas as to how much? Is it worth tinkering with battery location/CG?
RCG Plus Member