HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2007, 04:43 PM
Joined Mar 2007
143 Posts
Sort of. the eight is way too far back, and it keeps banking uncontrollably. NOT an easy plane. It's never flown more than 20 yds.
Mac Obsessed is offline Find More Posts by Mac Obsessed
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
Success!!!

Got the Tower $5.57 8.4v 850mah batts wed, Plugged them on my T1 and yesterday had the first completely still morning that was above freezing and not raining! Took her out to the alfalfa field and flew! The first real flight with it. Ran two packs and went back to the house and recharged them for another two flights before the wind came up. Not too sure yet how far down to take nimh's so I quit when the motor (j250)was starting to slow down at WOT. (I was so geeked to be flying I didn't check the time for each fllight - guessing 5 minutes or more) she climbed well, handled well, and man, at half throttle just hung in the air! I finally have a plane that flies slow enough for me to figure out the controls when coming at me. I recall from posts somewhere that you guys lubricate the j250. I gave it a shot of wd40 on the second set of flights and that seemed to quiet it down and improve power/rpm. What lube do y'all recommend or have you tried?
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2007, 06:31 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
MacO ... huh ??? you mean the WEIGHT??? CG has to be correct to fly right ...on ALL planes...
Spring we use Marvel mystery oil with a bit of moly powder,... nasty stuff but never lost a bearing or bushing (slot car days )
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:57 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
Lubes

GPW thanks for the lube tip! Marvel Mystery oil, eh? If you will pardon an off topic story, I had an experience with MMO couple of years ago. Have an old Ford 9N tractor that I stupidly drowned in my pond. Neighbor fished it out with his big Case, then I got online and found a 9N group asking "what should I do???' one guy said fill cylinders with MMO to keep them from freezing. so I did. But after draining everything and refilling with lube, I couldn't get it to crank (starter messed up) so decided to pull it in gear to turn engine - forgetting the cyl's were full of MMO. Well it turned over and sprayed oil all over my barnyard! I did get her running, though and she's still going.

back on topic, I have some moly lube for transmissions, wonder if a little of that in the MMO would work?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:17 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I gave it a shot of wd40 on the second set of flights and that seemed to quiet it down and improve power/rpm. What lube do y'all recommend or have you tried?
WD40 is very bad for our motors. It turns to sludge and will do more damage that leaving it unlubricated. Other than what is mentioned above, wallmart has a small applicator filled with light machine oil lube in the sewing dept. Great stuff for our gear.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
more lubes

IMA I wondered about the WD40, as I've heard it has some varnish in it to help with the rust prevention (in it's normal usage). Only gave it a couple of shots, the spray seemed a good way to get it on motor, although it turned out to be mostly overspray. I just lurked through a bunch of posts on the J250/capacitors issue trying to define how many to use, What a Major controversy!... Hope the lube issue isn't that controversial. I suppose any light clean highly refined oil should work (sewing machine, gun oil, MMO, etc)? I like the idea of the moly, though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2007, 01:59 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
...I just lurked through a bunch of posts on the J250/capacitors issue trying to define how many to use, What a Major controversy!...
You're right about that... But different things work for different folks.

I've found (in my J250 motors) that one of the terminals is grounded to the can. Therefore, 1 Cap, between the terminals is all I need. Fly like this on EVERY one of my J250 planes DD and geared (probably 7 or 8 active planes) and they all work just fine.

-ms
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:00 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
caps

MSmith I checked one of the 6 Jameco 250's I recently got and got 1.0 ohm from one lead to can and 1.2 ohm from the other to the can, so I guess mine is same as yours; and one cap should do. I started on this due to a litttle bit of glitching in motor rpm during my "first ever really good flights" of my T1 couple days ago. Seemed to happen as the batteries were running down, course at the speed I was going, it wasn't a critical problem. But I thought it might be a good idea to research the fixes. The T1 is a great trainer, nice and slow and stable, but responsive as well. Unfortunately, it's been windy ever since that morning - must have been 30mph today. Patience, patience. . . .
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2007, 06:17 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
MS ... He's Back !!!!! Yea!!!!

MS , got the GWS cord from BH(BP)... all we need now is a T-1 for FMS...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:31 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
IMA I wondered about the WD40, as I've heard it has some varnish in it to help with the rust prevention (in it's normal usage). Only gave it a couple of shots, the spray seemed a good way to get it on motor, although it turned out to be mostly overspray. I just lurked through a bunch of posts on the J250/capacitors issue trying to define how many to use, What a Major controversy!... Hope the lube issue isn't that controversial. I suppose any light clean highly refined oil should work (sewing machine, gun oil, MMO, etc)? I like the idea of the moly, though.
Moly works too and will likely last a bit longer than straight machine oil. I have used Remington gun oil with PTFE and the results suggest that oil with particles of crap in it (PTFE in this case) in many high shear/rpm applications stink (sort of gummed up my bearings, works well on guns though). It also cost 6X more than my lil tube of wallyworld oil. Anyway, sorry for veering off topic. Back to a discussion about a great plane . . . .
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:54 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
t1 FMS model

GPW- at the risk that your post about a T1 FMS model was a joke, I'm using one that seems to accurately represent the plane-can't remember where I found it but the guy also had made an Alleycat model that works well. I had to tinker with the control setup to make them work tho' Rudder & aileron channels were reversed from my xmitter.
Another T1 flight this AM! Def need the capacitor tho!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:44 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Joke ??? Moi ??? Dude , I was serious .... just getting FMS working (hopefully).. need a trainer ... Wouldn't that be nice .... a guy along time ago did a Stealth Sport for FMS ...That and a USAF UFO and I could be happy ...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 07:55 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
hello everyone,
i decided to start with the t1 for a trainer, (f14,f15,a-10,built and crashed) someone's telling me to start off easy. i just like to build......
well got the t1 put all together but it seem like the rear end is a bit flimsy. i have the 2408-21t-3delta by towerpro, esc fly-20a by himodel, 6x4 prop, r124f rx and ms3110, and a 3 cell lipo by thunder pro 1320 mah. this is the setup and it seems heavy. i tried to take off from the ground but no luck. is this too much?
what plane could i build to install the gearin as a trainer?
thanks everyone.
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:23 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Smk ... the flimsy tail section was solved by running the stick all the way back and then gluing on the stab to the stick .... if you're already built , a couple tiny skewers glued from the back overlapping the stick a couple inches solves this problem ...keep it light especially near the tail ... don't need any extra weight back there...
Old Mar 28, 2007, 07:28 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
T1 FMS Model

GPW: Here's thelink for the T1 model: http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm

Guy named Gary Gunnerson, has T1 and the blu beagle, alleycat, frog, park shark, etc. I only downloaded T1, alleycat and frog. The frog model flies almost too well -i.e. goes right where you point it, not sure if the real one would do that. I built an alleycat fuse, no gear yet, but thought i'd better train on it a bit, it is much trickier, faster, ail/ele. I 'crash' more. The T1 seems to be very much like the real plane. (at least my real plane - guess that's a little presumptive ) It even exhibits a little "hobby horsing at wot when trying up elevator - mine climbs better with just throttle. I did have to really tinker with the transmitters. I connected my old Futaba with a cobbled cable to the mic input and smartpropoplus to read the signal. My new Dynam (Dymond) came with a usb cable, and I had to download PPjoy to get the MS joystick routine to read the tx. Also, found the channels 1-4 were different on each model, so had to reorganize them in the controls setup tab in FMS. Works fine now. I suspect you will have some more interesting issues working with a Mac.

I can't believe I may have actually helped the maestro who finally made flying rc planes as much fun for me as building planes! Thanks GPW!
RCG Plus Member