Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Guess we'll have to call it the T-2... hahahahahaha
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2007
35 Posts
OK. I give up. WHere can I get a set of plans to make this plane?
yankeeredneck is offline Find More Posts by yankeeredneck
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:12 PM
Surprise, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
759 Posts
Post 44
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=44
JasonJones is offline Find More Posts by JasonJones
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:47 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,538 Posts
another noob w/ power questions

Guys: Getting into RC after my retirement in 04, and made a Gentle Lady, but kept crashing it and quit for year, then found this site, and the scratch built foamies. Best idea in the world, Disposable planes. I built the pete (cause it just looked so cool) from some pink foam then saw the T1 and figured it would be better to learn on. I followed the plans except for a full width elevator ( just kept cutting. . .). After nosing it in several times, I did add more foam on nose. It weighs about 7.7oz without batteries I have tried using 7.2v 220mah cox nimh's. which brings up my question. Yesterday I finally had a still day Here in Michigan's thumb and tried to really fly it out in the field away from trees, etc. Hand launched and made one good hundred foot circle when the motor cut out (it's a j250 with 4 inch prop). Giving it throttle it would start, but immediately quit - elevator and rudder servos work fine. Is this the low batt shutoff working? Once I experienced it , it dawned on me that the 220 mah's might not last very long with a J250. I found Hobbico7 cell 8.4v 850mah Nimh for $5.63 On Tower Hobbies site. Is that the direction I should go? For Both the T1 and the Pete (which currently has a Geared MPI EPU4 setup and weighs 6.5 oz without batts)

Sorry for long post, but thanks for any help.

Mike
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:37 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Spring... Sounds like the motor was drawing more current than the batt's could handle ...voltage dropped , esc cut off... We're using that size nimh batteries now(800-1000mah) and having a good time ... and it helps to balance the T-1...and obviously , you can't beat the price...hope those cells are rated for the kind of current you need ...5-7A... any other questions , just ask ...we'll try to help
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:39 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,538 Posts
how do i find if the batts can handle the current draw? is that the 1C - 2C - etc. rating? or do I just have to try them? my flight pacs use the jst connectors w/22ga wire will that be a current limiting prob? (Man am I clueless!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:45 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Got a watt meter... easy to determine current draw with one of those...Don't think Nimh are rated at C ratings like lipos are...???
Personally , I'd buy 1 pack and try it out .... then if it's OK , buy more...
time to UP date those plugs and wire ... current losses in wire and plugs cuts down on your performance...

For expert info on batteries , you might want to consult the power systems forum ... (here) or our Motor Guru, GeneBond...
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:21 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,538 Posts
I'll have to start lurking over on the power pages. Thanks for the info, and Thanks for the several great designs! Both the Pete and T1 look good and seem sturdy/stable based on the limited bashing I've done!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:49 PM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Those are the same kind of batts I'm looking for for my Stealth sport.. and that price is awesome.. wondering the same thing, if they can hack up to 10a..
glovesave39 is offline Find More Posts by glovesave39
Old Mar 17, 2007, 04:20 AM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
spring
the j250 with a small prop wil draw around the 5-7 amp mark
to get that sort of current from your batts you need something in the range of 600-800 mah batts.
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Last edited by brucej; Mar 17, 2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 06:38 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
You must remember , you won't be flying WOT all the time ... most of these will fly well at half throttle (if kept light) and that's much easier on any batteries ... We've been using some AAA 1k nimh that MS bought ... took about 3 charges/discharges before they came into their own ... each cell was less than a buck ... For sport flying they work fine , charge fast (20 min) and don't EXPLODE in FLAMES...
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:04 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Sounds like I'll be ordering some batts from tower now.. $5-6 a pack can't be beat!
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,538 Posts
When I ordered a couple packs, the Tower order-taker said that the price was probably because they were discontinuing them, but they seemed to have plenty.

I assume the 5-7 amps is at wot, so it will run around 3-4 at "cruise"?

If my T1 is at 7.7oz without battery and the batts weigh in at 3-4 oz, it that going to be "heavy"?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:08 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
I ended up buying four packs, not really for a T1, but for my stealth sport (gws350c powered) and a j250 powered su-27. I'm sure I'll be pushing 7-8a 'cause I like to fly wide open most of the time, so we'll see how they hold up If they can't hack, at least it was only $25!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 07:21 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
The nimh packs we use (7 cells) are 3.3oz just perfect for balancing a T-1 ...They seem to work very well with the little Blue motor and 9x5HD prop
Also flew them in my Dart , J-35,C-Dart,SS BA,A3D, etc....they WORK !!! But I'm a "cruiser" too
Glove ...isn't that the price for a gallon of glow fuel ... I wonder how many flights you'd get out of that ???