HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:47 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Deos any of that work on a Mac ... probably not ....???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2006, 08:52 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
It does work on a Mac using OS X, but only under X11.

Multi-platform program that is free, and pretty cool to work with overall...
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Dec 06, 2006, 11:29 AM
Tinkerer
RI
Joined May 2005
184 Posts
PDF of my redraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge98
RACJ and all others without word.

Use this:

http://www.openoffice.org/
Excellent advice. I should have just waited until I got to the office to post; then I could have easily converted to PDF. I've now done so (ain't lunch-hour great?), and the PDF is attached here.

-John
jfhspike is offline Find More Posts by jfhspike
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:51 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Spike , looks good!!! ... Nice mods ... makes sense...
Old Dec 07, 2006, 08:34 AM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
I had some issues with resizing John's satay one image so I opened up Visio made a 1 inch by 1 inch version of it using the square grid and saved it as a 2mb jpg for all to use. It will print out 18 pages. With the grid at as close to 1 inch by 1 inch as you can get (off by less than 1/100) this should provide anybody with a computer and printer, the ability to print her out. The colors and comments are still on the image.

Enjoy
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Dec 07, 2006, 11:00 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Very Nice !!!! What's that little thingie' on the stab for ... stiffness for fixing on the stick ????? can't be for lack of Stab area...???
Old Dec 07, 2006, 11:23 AM
Tinkerer
RI
Joined May 2005
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Very Nice !!!! What's that little thingie' on the stab for ... stiffness for fixing on the stick ????? can't be for lack of Stab area...???
Right -- the little triangle at the front of the stabilizer is to link it more securely to the stiffening stick. On my first build, the whole tail-section seemed to wobble a lot side-to-side, and after one of the kids' more serious crashes, the fuse tore on the line from the leading edge of the ...uh..vertical thing the rudder hangs from (what IS that called?) down to the back end of the stick. So for the next time around, I added the little fillet to increase the strength there a bit. Others have just extended the stick all the way back, which I'm sure works too.

--John
Old Dec 07, 2006, 12:29 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Spike , on the last batch , we added two opposed skewers across the stab/fuse and onto the fuse/stick for a few inches.... much needed on the 150% version (T1 1/2) Great idea, that thingie' !!!
Old Dec 08, 2006, 02:46 PM
Joined Apr 2006
49 Posts
To all helping on this,THANKS. I should start this weekend. I'll get someone to help me posy pics when finished. THANKS again,RACJ
RACJ is offline Find More Posts by RACJ
Old Dec 08, 2006, 03:58 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
you're welcome. If anybody needs plans enlarged to any amount just send me a PM and I can enlarge then and save in a variety of formats(CAD, jpg, bmp, gif, visio, etc...)
Old Dec 08, 2006, 07:47 PM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
wedge what is the little ridge on the section where the wing fits ?
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Old Dec 08, 2006, 08:49 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Bruce, that would be where the leading edge of the wing butts to. Ahead of that is straight for the dowel that goes over the "canopy"

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:43 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucej
wedge what is the little ridge on the section where the wing fits ?
bruce this is jfhspike's plans but the answer is above my post...
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:17 PM
Tinkerer
RI
Joined May 2005
184 Posts
Design question

So I built the latest T1 to replace the stall-and-crash-into-the-pavement one from the aerial photography experiment :-(; it's a little oversize, and I put in 4" dihedral instead of 3 (brain fade!) but otherwise looks decent.

But as I cut out the hole for the prop, I thought to myself "Hey, a 3x3 works fine on Jerbear's Simple Wing, which is (in the 30" version) of comparable weight, and goes a LOT faster...so surely it's the wrong prop for this T1." Sure enough, when I fire up Motocalc and ask it to analyze things, it tells me that the prop is always running stalled on a T1 (J250, GWX 3x3 prop).

Of course, my experience tells me that this thing flies fine in this configuration (although I have to confess that when I put my little RadioShack camera in, and the 1200mAh Lipo, it doesn't like to climb very fast...),

So tell me, gpw, how do you decide what size prop to spec for something like this? Do you just wing it? Do you say "Hey, the J250 is more power than we need anyhow...just put a 3" prop on to keep it from sucking power, running down the battery, and getting out of control."? Or do you do something else?

As someone who imagines someday designing his own craft, I'm intrigued.

--John
Old Dec 12, 2006, 06:08 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Spike ... EXACTLY as you say!!! This plane was designed for real beginners....a simple airframe that you can build for a dollar or two(cheap repair/replacement encourages further progress) ... a 50 cent motor with a small prop that not only flies the plane , but makes a great deal of noise doing it ( Noobs love the noise )...Sure , it's not efficient , but it flies very EASY and is self -righting which makes it easy for guys (or gals)with no experience to learn RC...You can also use a 6c 700 NIMH battery which flies the plane great and is not as $$$ or "Fussy" as lipos for the new guys...How does it fly for us??? ....Slow, BORING !!!!Practically flies itself .... many times I'll just set the Tx on the tailgate and walk away, get some coffee ...Don't need Me !!!
Darn Motocalc... it cannot always predict how well a plane with specific intentions like this trainer will perform ... My own experience(lots of testing ) and mucho' positive feedback assure all that this is a good TRAINER...and now the T 1 1/2 .... is even more BORING ...Grandma could fly it !!! TRUE !!!! Slow as molasses... Flyers looking for speed /3D /pattern .... please look elsewhere... this flies like a "shopping cart " it's so stable .... not the thing for 3D... I used a BP-21 on the big one for the same reason .... Cheap , readily available /replaceable ...small prop ... not a rocket ...
Jer's wing is very simple ,much faster/cleaner and is a much different type of plane and can probably better utilize the awesome power of a J250 ....to go fast ...but a trainer it is not ... aileron trainer perhaps ...???? OK ???? More lucid now ???
Last edited by gpw; Dec 12, 2006 at 06:13 AM.