HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2006, 10:54 PM
Flying Low & Slow is Fun
Albuquerque NM
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo-Skyfly
Here some pictures of the maiden flight .
Thanks GPW for the plans !
I like what she looks like. Innovative as all get out.
How does she fly?
Slowdoc is offline Find More Posts by Slowdoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2006, 05:23 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,108 Posts
Doc... plans at www.FoamFly.com/gallery/Glen It is very stable ...Non 3D after all it IS a TRAINER ...

Sorry about the elevator confusion , we used a whole elevator , but only half the throws.... hahahahaha
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Nov 11, 2006, 01:51 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
Just started building my first plane. The Trainer One.
Now i have absoloutley no experience of anything radio controlled. I have researched quite a lot through the forums, so i've gained a little knowledge from you boys.
As this plane only has a rudder and a elevator (well half a one at least) what channels do i connect the servos into. I take it it's just the elevator and rudder.
I will post pictures soon, i'm hoping it will fly well. The only deviation from the plan is purely aesthetic. GPW i hope you approve. The drawings looked a little confusing at first, but when i laid them out it all fell into place, and is very simple, so thanks.

It will be called the NODDY T1, it's for my daughter and i do hope it won't end in tears, hers and mine.
Andrew u.k. is offline Find More Posts by Andrew u.k.
Last edited by Andrew u.k.; Nov 12, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:59 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,108 Posts
Andrew... on the T-1 , we connected the rudder to the Aileron stick and the elevator as usual ....Good Luck !!!! You might want to test fly it without the little one around....T-1 is very gentle so no problems..... usually
Old Nov 11, 2006, 08:19 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Andrew - just explain to her up front that these things do crash and it's OK to do so.

So many young pilots would be more anxious to try new things and learn faster if they'd push themselves a bit instead of being in contant fear of crashing. I know I would've done better.

As a matter of fact... You might try cutting out parts for a 2nd plane.. That way if something does happen, you can just show her the parts and say 'we've just gotta put it together and thats 1/2 the fun anyway!'

Good luck...

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Nov 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
Build going well, i've discovered hot glue . I know it's heavy but I cant resist it . The planes' all built and partly painted, all I need now is to install the radio gear and i'm away.
Is the C of G just in front of the motor? Do i keep all of the weight as low as possible? I notice that you have the RX high.
Tried a glide in the back room with some weight added to the front. flew beautifully.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:38 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,108 Posts
Andrew, looks SUPER !!!!
Others take note: Andrew has installed his motor early in the game.... Brilliant ....!!!! Write that down !!!!
Hope that's a hard balsa spine ??? Weight is kept low to increase pendelum effect , but with all that dihedral , it's not critical...Rx was high so I could run the antenna out the underside of the wing, away from wires, metal pushrods , etc. ... Best of Luck !!!! Let us know how it flies...
Old Nov 12, 2006, 09:02 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Andrew u.k. That test glide you did was a really good thing! More should do that. However as I see it ( actually I hope I am wrong) you may have some problems under power. The pics you show seem to indicate the front of the leading edge a bit low. You may have some climbing issues under power. You may have to raise the leading edge about 3-6 mm.

Anyone else see this? Like I said I hope i am wrong. Still if you do have problems try raising that L.E. some.

Other than that my friend, Good job!

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:56 PM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
Well it's a balsa spine don't know if it's hard or not, feels pretty stiff though.
The leading edge, I take it that's the front of the wing, is as the drawing, but You've got me worried, I will post a clearer picture tonight.
The prop I'm using is going to be a 6x4, the motor supplier suggested a 8x3.8 but I couldn't fit it in, will this cause a problem? I've read that allmost anything will power it.
Thanks for all your input.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:32 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,108 Posts
Funny , I didn't see that at all ...by looking at all 3 pics , everything looks correct .... photography does tend to distort the view sometimes... as long as it is by the plans , it'll be fine ...
Seems like if something was wrong it would have shown UP in the test glide ?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:56 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew u.k.
Well it's a balsa spine don't know if it's hard or not, feels pretty stiff though.
The leading edge, I take it that's the front of the wing, is as the drawing, but You've got me worried, I will post a clearer picture tonight.
The prop I'm using is going to be a 6x4, the motor supplier suggested a 8x3.8 but I couldn't fit it in, will this cause a problem? I've read that allmost anything will power it.
Thanks for all your input.
Balsa strut might be best attached at CG in wing chord, not at the leading edge. However, its not anything I would worry about on this build, just build your next one with the strut 33% back. 6X4 should be fine if the motor suggests 8X4ish. It only takes a couple of oz of thrust to get this bird up.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:30 PM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
As promissed a few photos.
You can see that the prop finishes quite low in the fuselage, i'm trying to figure out how to bend my push rod to get past it and up to my rudder. Any ideas?
The depth of the wing is 180mm so the C of G is 59mm from the front of the wing, am i correct?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:30 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,108 Posts
Drew... mount the servo down low , or do as we do and run a .032 music wire pushrod in a couple tiny coffee stir straws taped together... it takes quite a bend and still functions perfectly ...tape the straws to the fuse...
Your plane is looking very good ...!!!
Balsa was not used on mine because of it's brittle nature ... we used a Port Orford cedar arrowshaft for fuselage the spine and bamboo skewers (satay sticks ) for the struts and all else...much tougher .... just so ya know !!!!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:39 PM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
Well Noddy T1 is nearly completed, just a couple of questions.
It's built exactly to the origonal plan, does it matter what side the elevator goes on? (My local R/C hobby shop were completley confused by the single elevator)
How much throw is needed on each surface?

GPW thanks for the plans and help. I'm very pleased with my first ever plane, the .32 wire worked well, i'm just surprised how easy it all was. Now it's just the flying!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 04:58 AM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
I like to put the elevator control horn on top so they dont get beat up if I flair too much on landing.
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98