HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
16 Posts
Might be a little windy this weekend anyway lot o honey doos. Will come out and see ya'll soon.
ballyhoo229 is offline Find More Posts by ballyhoo229
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:48 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
It sure is windy right now ,I may just go UP the street , get some coffee and a biscuit and see if anybody's crazy enough to be out there, besides me ...hahahaha
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2006
16 Posts
Well here we go. Gpw I know the subtle mods like too much motor(bp21), full elevator, and what was I thinking with those wheels. Anyway cant wait for a calm morning to maiden her. My son and I taxied around the driveway and the ground handeling is great. I'll check the weight in the morn but the cg is spot on. tail and stab are really stiff , do you think the braces are required. May have couple of cf scaps hanging around the shop, I'll probably put them on anyway
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:52 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Braces ??? What braces ???? The wing spars are the only braces , and you do NEED them ... everything else is extra weight ....Looks good , best of luck !!!Good Flying!!!!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:07 PM
Tinkerer
RI
Joined May 2005
184 Posts
Braces

Perhaps he was referring to the diagonal bit of skewer from the stabilizer to the upright thing to which the rudder is attached ( I oughtta know the name by now). My best guess is that this isn't really essential, but if your train-ee happens to land with a good deal of "tilt" to the plane, it might help to save the tailfeathers from being quite as damaged...

--John
jfhspike is offline Find More Posts by jfhspike
Old Mar 15, 2006, 06:54 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Spike , not to worry ... the tail feathers are in the back and usually survive pretty well ...
Bally,Your plane looks Great and with the cg on , it oughta' fly really nice... go for it Dude !!!
Last edited by gpw; Mar 16, 2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:58 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
"I know the subtle mods like too much motor(bp21)"

bally:
Is you battery 2 or 3s?
What prop is that?

Please, give us a flight report.
Thanx,

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:43 PM
Joined Jan 2006
16 Posts
2 s 860 mah
cox 6 x 3
if it flies well at 1/2 trhottle ill keep that prop.
if rpm's too high for flight will cut down a 7 x 5 to 6"
Old Apr 30, 2006, 05:06 PM
Sarpsborg, Norway
Joined Jun 2005
11 Posts
Thanks GWS

Hi
Back in post #338 I mentioned that my RCclub would use the T1 as an introduction for new members. Well, we did. We have now about 10 new members in our club ready to fly their own T1. And thats not bad for a club with around 40 members.
Most of them are young boys about 9-12 years old. It has been fun guiding them with the building. We set up 5 build-nights during the spring from 18.30 to 21.00. With boys in that age the consentration is "on and off", so in between building there was some heavy cookie-eating and simulator-training on our Club-PC.
I will come back with i lineup of the airplanes, but here are a couple of pictures from our first testflight with a couple of the boys and our flight-instructor.

[IMG]IMG_1210.jpg[/IMG]

Ready for the first RC-flight ever, with a plane buildt all by himself. The grin says it all...

[IMG]IMG_1214.jpg[/IMG]

This is my son flying his T1. After some time on the simulator, and 30 minuttes in the air with a buddy-cord, it was time to fly solo. I cant remember smiling like that on MY first solo-flight...

30 minuttes more, and he will fly better then I ever will...

With the T1 finished, do you guys have sugestions for the next airplane these boys should cut out. We have a stack of Depron and UHU left. We fly with Graupner 250 motors. So we need an easy-to-build #2 airplane, maybe with ailerons, and must be for the same type of motor so that they can put all the gear from the T1 over to the new ones when they are ready for it.
We have to keep them busy building airplanes to keep up the interest now..
If I remember correctly, there was some information about a P51 who was a good trainer, but I cant find it now.
Doffen is offline Find More Posts by Doffen
Old May 01, 2006, 06:50 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Doffen , I 'd suggest the Stealth Sport as a second plane www.FoamFly.com/gallery/Glen ...Smooth easy flyer , the guys will love the shape, real easy to build , great aileron (elevon ) trainer ... GeneBond has done some P-51's in all sizes.. Fun Stuff , easy flyers ...Best of Luck to the guys !!!
Old May 09, 2006, 11:26 PM
Kansas
Joined Jul 2005
182 Posts
Help with thrust

I just built the trainer one, and had to make a small modification, that is I had to place the motor above the wing (brushless and required an 8 " prop). I am unable to get the motor shimmed correctly. If I point it down, the plane wants to fly down, if I point it up (remember, this is a pusher model) the plane still wants to fly down. Its all I can do to get it a foot or so off the ground and thats with full elevator. It did this even when I tried to get it to the midline of the model.

What am I doing wrong?

GWFAMI
GWFAMI is offline Find More Posts by GWFAMI
Old May 10, 2006, 07:53 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
GW: It's tough to guess at all the variables when things start evolving from the tested setups, but a few thoughts:

- the higher the motor is mounted, the more apparent downthrust it will have... think of a lever atached to the wing's cg point, with the end at the motor shaft. when you push straight ahead on the lever (line of flight) which way does the model react... Down, right? OK, now push kinda down and forward, and the nose sorta comes up, right?
-Whne things are out of line, the forces are non-linear (vector math and all that geeky crap), so we have to try to find the tradeoff and comfort point.
- There's a cross-over point, like any trim, where it will climb or dive. The thrust angle is just one of several trim adjustments.

May not have helped, but the point is, the motor will need to push down to bring the nose up.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old May 10, 2006, 08:06 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
GWF .. sometimes it's good to build according to plans,especially trainers ...even the tinest change can affect flight performance, as you have found out ...Your choices , face the rear of the motor UPwards , use a smaller prop (you don't need much power )and move the motor where the designer found after much experimentation to be the correct placement, or spend a buck and get a j250...
I love the way builders sorta' take it on themselves to make changes /Modifications ....and then complain to me ....
I haven't had my coffee yet , can you tell ???
Old May 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
Kansas
Joined Jul 2005
182 Posts
Originally I used an 8 inch prop cut down to fit, but it didn't give enough thrust. Will keep messing with it though.

Thanks.
GWFAMI is offline Find More Posts by GWFAMI
Old May 10, 2006, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2006
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWFAMI
I just built the trainer one, and had to make a small modification, that is I had to place the motor above the wing (brushless and required an 8 " prop). I am unable to get the motor shimmed correctly. If I point it down, the plane wants to fly down, if I point it up (remember, this is a pusher model) the plane still wants to fly down. Its all I can do to get it a foot or so off the ground and thats with full elevator. It did this even when I tried to get it to the midline of the model.

What am I doing wrong?

GWFAMI
I recognise this problem but I have no landing gear so I make only handstars.
After about 15 hours flying with this trainer my experience is it is only a problem flying very low and slow and sudenly give full throttle.
The plane wil dive and after building up some speed it start climbing.
So keep the engine flat but as low as posible.
My prop is an 0843 climb very wel and fly 1 hour on 2 cel 1500 ma lipo.
Motor home build cd rom.
cdrom flyer is offline Find More Posts by cdrom flyer