HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:43 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial
He built a new lighter weight T1 to try and get a leg up on me. It turned out to be his cleanest/straightest build yet. It'll make me feel bad when I break it in half in a mid air collision. LOL..
We remember where you said he was reading but not registered.... strategy.... Pops ain't skeered of your trash-talkin'! LOL What's that old proverb? Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill? (chuckle)
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2009, 05:48 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,979 Posts
Spring , good point , no white stuff around here, rarely.. like once every 10 years... lasts for a couple hours.. I still have my snow shovel , just in case of a drastic climate change...

Mind those trees !!!

"Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill?" ... if you have any energy left to do so .... hahahahaha
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:11 PM
KL,Malaysia
Joined Jun 2008
35 Posts
Trainer One

Hi Guys and gpw,

Finished my Trainer One from gpw's plans and what a nice flyer.Wing is removable and no struts for me. Motor is J250 ( I think!) with 2s800mah lipo on 72Mhz and hxt 5gm servos with carbon fibre pushrods. AUW is 205gms with Depron.

Build thread here: http://malaysia-rc.com/index.php?topic=8720.0

Once again , thanks for the plans .I really enjoyed building this.

Kc
kcleong18 is offline Find More Posts by kcleong18
Old Oct 13, 2009, 05:38 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,979 Posts
KC, That came out very nice ... and such a Beautiful landscape to fly in ...
No Struts huh??? Would you mind terribly posting a pic of your wing attachment ... That's a nice feature for storage and transportation ...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:26 PM
KL,Malaysia
Joined Jun 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
KC, That came out very nice ... and such a Beautiful landscape to fly in ...
No Struts huh??? Would you mind terribly posting a pic of your wing attachment ... That's a nice feature for storage and transportation ...
Yeah GPW, one reason for removable wings is definitely for storage.I have quite a few of those 3D stuff which seems to take up all available space..haha.

Weather here permits all year rc flying and we are blessed in Malaysia without the current earthquakes , massive floods , huge landslides or typhoons currently around the Asia region.We do have rainy and windy days .

To hold the wing securely to the fuselage I fabricated a front and a rear saddle out of 4 pcs each from 6mm depron.The front seat is contoured to the fuselage shape and an extra piece on top of the rear to prevent the wing from 'sliding' off. All attached with screws and wooden plugs. Hopefully this helps for those wanting to store their "Trainer One".

Kc
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:37 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,979 Posts
KC, that's a good method !!! Thanks !!! Yet another option...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:36 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
If I did that with my FFF T1, I am sure that the wings would brake during a tight loop.
At one time I had just one pair of wing braces and the wing flexed during a loop pull out and it went straight into the asphalt from 50 ft up - SPLAT!
So , my question is:
KC, are you using some internal reinforcement in the wings?

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:39 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite
If I did that with my FFF T1, I am sure that the wings would brake during a tight loop.
At one time I had just one pair of wing braces and the wing flexed during a loop pull out and it went straight into the asphalt from 50 ft up - SPLAT!
So , my question is:
KC, are you using some internal reinforcement in the wings?

Walt
Sounds exactly like what happened to my wings. I added a dowel along the LE and TE and better struts and haven't had a problem since.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:14 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Clinton Twp, MI
Joined Dec 2008
5,088 Posts
Good discussion regarding loops.
I know I haven’t had any probs yet. I go into a slight dive first & wot on the up swoop and as soon as it hits inverted I go to 0% throttle, totally off & finish the loop with elevator only. No throttle until she starts to lvl off. I do have a good amount of hotglue in this plane and that is probably helping quite a bit as I don’t really see any flex in the wings throughout the loop.
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:04 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial
Sounds exactly like what happened to my wings. I added a dowel along the LE and TE and better struts and haven't had a problem since.
I added two struts to the trailing edge and a bamboo skewer on the trailing edge that connects the two struts - behind the prop and connecting to a post that goes down through the fuse (just behind the prop). If you hold it up to a strong light you can see ALL of the skewers I have poked through the FFF. Maybe I should just build the plane out of skewers and cover it with that thin film, whatever it is called, eh? LOL - FORGET ABOUT FFF?

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,979 Posts
The struts do add a tremendous amount of strength to the wing .. I don't know if I'd be doing any looping without them ... Although a novel idea, can't say as I'd recommend the removable wing... Best to build it like the plans ... well tested...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:47 PM
KL,Malaysia
Joined Jun 2008
35 Posts
It would be easy to retrofit removable struts as per plan but the plane is more to putter around in a scale fashion and definitely to show a beginner how easy and slow an rc trainer can be.So no looping here. Anyway with the motor used I doubt I can loop it purposely or snap a wing while cruising.

Wjbite , no reinforcements added except for toothpick pegs and epoxy at dihedral joints. Furthermore Depron tends to harden quite a bit with the use of a heat gun although I am not sure the same applys to FFF stuff which is not available here.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:48 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,979 Posts
KC, Good Luck with that !!! No looping !!!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:39 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
I've done a search but can't find anything for certain.... I've seen some thrust numbers and I see the thrust numbers on this motor but don't know how they compare:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5358

It says 130g of thrust but it says /5000RPM.... I've got several sizes of 4, 5 & 6" props. Will this motor get my T1 airborne? I've already got one is why I'm asking.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
'Course I may need a rocket engine with my *extensive* modifications......

Ah, I'm just pickin on ya G. 'Bout the only mods I make are the colors or the wheels. (chuckle)