SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:48 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Tubby Chubby nearing completion

Received my Tubby Chubby today. Radio Gear should be here tomorrow. Mods so far are Wheels, 3/32" square hardwood pieces epoxied inside full length in unreinforced corners of fuze, velcro securing cowl instead of screws. Plane comes with solid fiberglass full length rods for wing leading edge that insert and epoxy in aluminum dihedrial angle tube.
Here are some pics. Servos install in gap in fuse trim. Build is very much like Mini Max... Surprise Surprise Oh yeh carbon rod added to wimpy tail skid
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Last edited by boomerace; Apr 19, 2002 at 01:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:51 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Plastic cowl and wing reinforcement looks darker in photo but looks same color normally. Don't know why it shows up darker in photo. Would fix it in Photo Shop but too lazy
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:51 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Maybe too many views but some have been asking about the bird
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:56 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
next
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:56 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Whew... Last one! Honest
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:59 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Boomer, thanks for the pics. I love it! I'm sure the flight report will be even better because of that 370 motor! I thought it was a misprint when I read about it. Also, I saw those wheels in the LHS a couple days ago and almost bought them but thought they would be too heavy for the Zero. What brand are they?
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Apr 19, 2002, 01:13 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Spaulding, She is cute. I can't remember what kind of wheels since packaging is long gone. I had to bend new gear and use 3 pieces of alum. tubing for each wheel to get the bigger wheels to work as they are so fat and the holes are so big but they go perfect with the "chubby" theme and are pretty light. The 370 should give a great climb angle! Hopefully I can do test flights on the SE5-A and this the next couple of days... crappy weather!

boomer
Old Apr 19, 2002, 08:05 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Boomer: Looking good. I've got one on order. Nice MiniMax makeover, huh? Looked like virtually all the same pieces, that helped me decide to go for it.

I'm wondering why they went 370 instead of 260. I'll probably try both...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 19, 2002, 03:48 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2002
216 Posts
Boomer,
I finished mine and am just waiting for the wind to die down. I will post my report along with yours on this thread, if you don't mind.

Bill
Billmagann is offline Find More Posts by Billmagann
Old Apr 19, 2002, 04:04 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Bill,
The more input we get the better!
I just added one more mod... as with the Mini-Max the plastic wing mount was too flexible for my taste so I epoxied 1/32" plywood shaped like the wing mount to the sides under the wing in the area the rubberbands go. The plastic on my Mini Max eventually split due to the flexing and I did the same. (only after it split). All the mods will add a little weight which due to the wing loading should help some in windy conditions and the 370 motor should give great performance. Now it finally quit raining and if the stinken wind would die down some I'd go fly!
boomer
Pic of wing reinforcement attached....
Old Apr 19, 2002, 05:03 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
Looking forward to flight report

Very cool plane!

Thanks for the picks, nice.

Low rider...for the high sky.

Let us know how she flys.

HH

May your prop always spin the right way!
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Apr 19, 2002, 08:35 PM
santa ana ca usa
Joined Nov 2000
81 Posts
Boomerace
i have one that i have been flying for a week now. im using the 6 800 hihn and i get 10+ min, it flys great, even in the
wind it is easy to fly,the other day there was a hawk flying out a way and i headed towards him the little plane started going almost straight up i turned the motor off and it continued going up for anothe five min before it came out of the thermal, this was at 8 in the morning, this plane is as much fun in its own way as my zero.
it will loop but my oppenion and some frends at hobby people sugest ading some struts if you are going to get fancy.
charles
charles packard is offline Find More Posts by charles packard
Old Apr 19, 2002, 09:49 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Bravo,

Nice look'n Cub... Hope to hear some report and more mods. in different flying conditions.
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Apr 20, 2002, 11:02 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2002
216 Posts
Flew the Cubby this morning in dead calm. The plane really goes!!! For a plane in this class it flies quickly and climbs "with authority." It is twitchier than I expected, and it needed a lot of right rudder. Once you get used to it, she flies very well. If you are used to a Tiger Moth, this is a lot faster and more sensitive. Still, it is a lot of fun. Just watch out for the rudder trim.

Bill
Billmagann is offline Find More Posts by Billmagann
Old Jul 11, 2002, 11:33 AM
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
i just built mine up. tried flying last night and crashed several times. is the CG correct in the manual? it tended to want to fly down and left each time. i have made some mod (which i should not have) before i flew it, so i am wondering if those made a difference (inboard servos, taped the fuse, and stabs). i am using a 6 cell 650mA nimh (2X3).
any suggestions are appreciated.
fleanme is offline Find More Posts by fleanme