HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2005, 05:36 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts
Have you ever tried to solder something and.....

...forgot to put the shrink tubing on?

I was converting all of my planes to Deans Ultras today, and three times in a row, I forgot to put the shrink tubing on.
Its not a big deal, just put electrical tape around it.......but doesn't it just bother you?

It really bothers me, because I don't know HOW MANY times I have done it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

SCJohn
Spencer J is offline Find More Posts by Spencer J
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2005, 05:46 PM
California
Joined Feb 2005
1,519 Posts
Yep! It doesn't happen to me that much anymore though. This is because I've done it enough times that I think I have finally learned. But when I did screw up, I unsoldered and put the heat shink on. You may want to do this because it could reinforce the idea that you forgot!
freddy warbird is offline Find More Posts by freddy warbird
Old Jun 16, 2005, 05:51 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,622 Posts
I forget the heatshrink all the time. It used to bother me but I guess I've gotten used to it. I seem to be getting a little better since I stopped allowing myself to use the tape-I now make myself desolder and put the heatshrink on. A friend says he hasn't forgotten ever since he taped a couple lengths of heatshrink to the handle of his iron.When he grabs the iron he feels the stuff and is reminded. I'll probably try this if I can remember to.
dayhead is online now Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Jun 16, 2005, 06:26 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Not a good idea to use tape to cover the connections. the tape can loosen up or fall off and leave you with the very easy possibility of shorting out a battery pack etc. Desolder the joints, slide the tubing over the wire then resolder. It is actually easier to solder the presolder joints as they are already tinned for you.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Jun 16, 2005, 06:27 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Happens to me a lot too. I always unsolder and put it on and resolder.

Another alternative is Liquid Lectra Tape. Sometimes I like to put it around the heatshrink on Ultra Deans as they are difficult to get the heatshrink on real tight.

Hey Spencer, just wondering if you might care to comment on the alleged similarities between you and Usta_Bee. Are you actually the same person? Is Usta_Bee someone else in your house?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 16, 2005, 06:27 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Actually if you are soldering both joints first then shrink wrapping them then you are asking for trouble. Solder a joint then shrink wrap it before you move on the the other joint.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Jun 16, 2005, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts
Ahh.....that makes me fell better now.

I like the idea of taping a piece or two of heat shrink to your soldering iron....neat idea........I gotta do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Hey Spencer, just wondering if you might care to comment on the alleged similarities between you and Usta_Bee. Are you actually the same person? Is Usta_Bee someone else in your house?

Inquiring minds want to know.
To tell the truth, Usta_Bee was my younger brother. I was on the site, he saw it was a fourm web site, and he wanted to sign up because he will sign up for anything on the internet. But after about a day I "Took over" the account, as he didn't use it....so, yes, most if his posts were made by me. Oh well......it was fun.... lol

SCJohn
Last edited by ehobby-RC; Jun 16, 2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 07:11 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
If I forget heat shrink, I resolder the piece.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:25 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,887 Posts
Same here, soldering is so fast and easy, just redo the wires again (and forget the shrink for a 2nd time).
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:47 PM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Sometimes, I forget but then if I forget, I just use Liquid Tape. Liquid Tape is I think better than heat shrink anyway.
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:51 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Seems as I recall making a note of this possible problem, forgetting the shrink tubing. Might have even made mention of it to someone................hmmmmmmmm.................. wish I could remember.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:52 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts

SCJohn
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:54 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Along this same thought.........anyone have any experience using a flaring tool to flare copper tubing? Have you ever forgot to slide the flare nut over the tube before you flare it?
Oh no its an EPIDEMIC!!!!
I just finished putting on deans connectors on my batteries, and out of 4 batteries and a slow stick, I remembered to slide the heat shrink on twice. I just had to unsolder and redo it. BTW, I have found it is easier to tin the wire and the connector before soldering, then just heat both up together until the sloder flows well and connects them.
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:19 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
718 Posts
A helpful tip . After soldering on the first wire to your Deans connector , slide a piece of split silicon fuel tubing over the wire and heat shrink tubing to protect it while soldering the second connection . This also may prevent an accidental shorting of the battery as well as protecting your first connection . HTH

Mike 1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:59 PM
Airdrie, AB Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,049 Posts
**Patiently waits for the inevitable. What's Fuel Tubing?**
mjws is offline Find More Posts by mjws