SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2005, 03:36 PM
Oxford, UK
Joined Nov 2003
807 Posts
Discussion
Unicorn - New Generation Wing - Part XII

Unicorn - New Generation Wing - Part XII starts here.

Links to the previous threads (now working):

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part IX
Part X
Part XI
Part XII
The Flying Pig is offline Find More Posts by The Flying Pig
Last edited by The Flying Pig; Jan 07, 2007 at 12:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2005, 04:15 PM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
About Corn

I really have nothing of great import or even low import to add here ... I have jst never been this close to the start of a new thread!

BTW ... waiting for my Corn to arrive.
Think I should just hang around here and watch the corn grow?

Corny,
Peter
omba is offline Find More Posts by omba
Old Jun 16, 2005, 04:50 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omba
Think I should just hang around here and watch the corn grow?
No, you should be reading the manual that you downloaded fron the Unicorn's website
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jun 16, 2005, 05:57 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
I agree with RENE
I am just waiting for an extreem flying with unicorn somewhere in the U.S.......We should all get together and fly!!!!! Like (I hate to say their name)Zagies do......
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Jun 16, 2005, 07:26 PM
The other son of Daedalus
Sacramento, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,136 Posts
I have an office I will turn into a place to flop. So bring it on.
memyselfandI is offline Find More Posts by memyselfandI
Old Jun 16, 2005, 07:53 PM
Bought at a price.
Winfield, Kansas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
I'm centrally located! Look at a map!

Heck, don't take my word for it, look at this http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...actionNo==7032

Brad
777 is offline Find More Posts by 777
Last edited by 777; Jun 16, 2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:08 PM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Wallage
No, you should be reading the manual that you downloaded fron the Unicorn's website
LMFAO!
OK ... the watching of corn will have to wait until later.

BTW ... that a a great idea. Thank you. I just hate blocking some "build time" (usually very late at night) only to realize that I need something form a store that is 20 miles away and closed.

And reading the 'corn manual (only to page 23 ) has given rise to some questions. I can go back and read the threads or you can help me here:
1. Polyurethane glue - Will Elmer's Ultimate work? Gorilla glue? Any favorites or "definitley nots" out there?
2. What is RTV silicon glue? Will GE Silicon II work? Got a brand mane I can find on the home depot or lowe's shelf?
3. 3M carpet tape - Is this the reinforcing tape? Does width make a difference? Strapping tape?

Something tells me that there are going to be a lot more questions from this end of the thread! Hope you folks don't mind. What else do I need on this list that might NOT be in the manual? If it makes any difference, I'm planning on a brushless version, either the MEGA 16/15/4 or that RCer Warp4 that's on the way. BTW ... Mike at CBP suggested going with the 8-cell GP2000 4/5A that I ordered the other night. With Father's Day and my birthday around the corner, I've decided that money is no object (well, almost ). So if you think I should spring for another battery config, just let me know. Darn! I forgot to get the props ordered. What size was that anyway?

You folks are great! Thanks.
I'll be back,
Peter
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:09 PM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
Heck, don't take my word for it, look at this http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...actionNo==7032

Brad
Hey! Looks like a great place for watching the corn!

Peter
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:12 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
'Corn Carnage

Let a newbie fly my wing. Outcome is as follows

Red line indicates length of crack. It goes a little under the covering, but its glued right towards the edge there. The green line represents the end of the motor spacer. The blue arrow pointing to the red line shows how far back the spacer got forced. And the motor came with it. forcing the prop adaptor off. The ESC got hit by the lipo and might be broken. Both my HS-81's are stripped. Going to buy some replacement gear sets. Man... these things are indestructable? Not when it hits the ground at 60+

But o well, I don't blame the guy, I blame myself. Its not biggie, just about everything broke The lipo survived though. Though, I'm keeping an eye on it.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:59 PM
The other son of Daedalus
Sacramento, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,136 Posts
Hey all: I glued my motor spacer in backwards, placing my motor about a quarter inch closer to the wing's TE. What do you think? Is it worth replacing the motor tube, or will it all be okay?
memyselfandI is offline Find More Posts by memyselfandI
Old Jun 17, 2005, 01:48 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omba
1. Polyurethane glue - Will Elmer's Ultimate work? Gorilla glue? Any favorites or "definitley nots" out there?
2. What is RTV silicon glue? Will GE Silicon II work? Got a brand mane I can find on the home depot or lowe's shelf?
3. 3M carpet tape - Is this the reinforcing tape? Does width make a difference? Strapping tape?

...I'm planning on a brushless version, either the MEGA 16/15/4 or that RCer Warp4 that's on the way. BTW ... Mike at CBP suggested going with the 8-cell GP2000 4/5A that I ordered the other night. With Father's Day and my birthday around the corner, I've decided that money is no object (well, almost ). So if you think I should spring for another battery config, just let me know. Darn! I forgot to get the props ordered. What size was that anyway?
1. Gorilla glue would be great. First put some beads on a piece of grease proof paper. One straight out of the bottle, one with a tiny misty of water, and one with a drop of water on top. Take note of how much it expends, and how long it takes to harden!
2. If it's for the motor, don't use glue. Put a piece of duckt tape on the top and bottom of the motor, so you have a snug fit. Drill a 1mm hole in the top of the motor tube, about 1" from the end and cut from the rim to the hole (the hole is there so you will not tear the tube). Then go to my website and look at the "motor-mount" I made...
3. I replaced the wooden winglets with 2mm coroplast, and just tape them in place. Cut a slit in the front of the winglet, and two in the middle, so you can push a piece of strapping tape through the slits.

I'd go with the tried and tested Mega 1615/4. And Mike knows what he's talking about and will give advice regardless of a sale or not.

What ESC are you using?

RW
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jun 17, 2005, 06:42 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,250 Posts
Quote:
I am just waiting for an extreem flying with unicorn somewhere in the U.S.......We should all get together and fly!!!!!
I'll host a Corn Fly in Georgia - I'm on the border of Alabama. We have plenny of places around here to fly that are really beautiful, have restrooms and so forth. This might help me find the time to finish my airplane - I'm back in school - full time - and I have a 2 hour commute (each way) which is reducing my free time down to nothing, which is really a pain because I really wanna finish building my Unicorn.

Still, if there are any folks around the Cedartown, Georgia area that would like to get together, lemmie know & we'll have a Corn Fly. This could be really great . . . I see a huge iron pot with two dozen ears of corn, four dozen airplanes . . . Corn Fest '05?
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jun 17, 2005, 06:51 AM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Wallage
If it's for the motor, don't use glue. ...Then go to my website and look at the "motor-mount" I made...

What ESC are you using?
RW
I don't know what the silicon glue is for yet. I just read as far as page 23! And right now I should be on my way to work!

ESC? I can go with the Phoenix 25 or 25. I have other plans for the 35, but I'm afraid that I'll cook the 25. What do you think?

Thanks again,
Peter
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:26 AM
Paul Williams
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
Wish I could visit, but international flights are killer expensive from S.A.
ngcebo is offline Find More Posts by ngcebo