HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2005, 03:42 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Guillows Piper Tomahawk

Hello all,

I bought my brother the Guillows Piper Tomahawk kit some 20-25 years ago. He built the fuse and vertical stab, then put the kit in his closet. I retrieved the kit a couple of months ago and have been working towards completion, slowly but surely.

The kit is designed for an .049 engine, but I'm going electric of course. It originally was designed as a 2-channel (rudder and elevator), but I've installed ailerons, so I'm going 4-channel. We'll discuss power systems later as I get closer to finish.

Here's the current issue: He lost the engine cowl, wingtips, and canopy.

Wingtips can be shaped from foam or balsa easily, and I can shape the canopy out of foam. The cowl is a different matter. My options are:

1) Shape cowl out of foam, hollow out interior. Attaching the darn thing would be tricky...
2) Attempt to find similar cowl from another kit....I've tried, so far unsuccessfully.
3) Use the end of a plastic soda bottle. Won't be accurate, but should be functional, as long as I find a smooth bottle that fits the nose.
4) ???? Custom molding? Can that even be done? Anyone know of a place that could do that? Would it cost a fortune if they could?

OK...so what does everyone think? Anyone have any ideas how to replace the cowl? All suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance!

Ric
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2005, 04:13 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Ric, if Guillows still have the plastic parts (if the kit is still manufactured, or if they have some spares in stock) they will gladly sell them to you for a reasonable price. I know that people have bought the plastic parts for other kits, so the Tomahawk should be no different.

Im afraid I dont have their adress or phonenumber available (I dont think they respond to e-mails from what Ive heard) so youll have to look it up yourself.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Jun 16, 2005, 04:45 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Thanks for the reply Zero...I have contacted Guillows and the kit is no longer produced. As such they have nothing to offer, so I'm looking for an alternative.

In case anyone is interested, Guillows phone # is 781.245.5255
Old Jun 16, 2005, 04:57 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,287 Posts
I might suggest

1. Depron. If you use a hair dryer/heat gun you can bend the stuff around curves, or if cut into smaller sections, can be glued together to make the curve. In the Foamie section, somebody's always building a widebody jet out of the stuff. I've used it for making EDF inlets.

2. Make a plug out of styro or pink foam, then epoxy glass the outside, and dissolve the inside foam with MEK. The only drawback is getting a good finish, but you can make them really light with 1/2 oz glass.

3. Vacuform one out of soda bottle material. Just make the plug and plate out of wood, hook up a vacuum cleaner, and apply heat. Or you can buy sheet plastic. I like the soda bottle approach, because I can ruin quite a lot of stuff with no expense.

-- Val
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jun 21, 2005, 01:57 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
MG-

Sorry about not replying sooner...in truth I completely forgot I had posted this here. Thanks for the terrific ideas. Very interesting. May I ask a few questions?

1) I visited the Depron website. Although I'm not really familiar with the product, it looks like sheets of foam. 2mm looks pretty good. Although I'd still have the mounting issue. Would you suggest glassing this after it's complete?

2) The epoxy suggestion looks great. Once again I'm unfamiliar with the product MEK...what is it?

3) Vacuuming looks interesting as well, but I can't quite figure out how this would be accomplished using the vacuum cleaner. Can you provide a couple of more details? Would you shape the cowl out of foam, find a similar sized soda bottle, cut off bottle's nose section and wedge in foam cowl, attach vacuum hose to spout of bottle, apply heat and vacuum? Or am I *totally* off here? And, what do you mean when you mention a "plate"?

Once again man, thanks for the extremely valuable suggestions.

Ric
Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:33 PM
SOUTHERN CA
Joined Mar 2006
3 Posts
Tomahawk Plans

WHOWHATWHERE: Do you still have the tomahawk plans. If you wuld like to make a copy I will pay you for them. Kinko's will usually reproduce them. If so, I will send you my e-mail address

Regards
Dave
UPLANDBOY is offline Find More Posts by UPLANDBOY
Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:46 AM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Oct 2002
1,293 Posts
Dave,

Here's a link that may interest you.

http://www.hobbywholesale.com/Produc...=9417049992141
cadmanpilot is offline Find More Posts by cadmanpilot
Old May 15, 2006, 03:44 PM
SOUTHERN CA
Joined Mar 2006
3 Posts
Tomahawk

CADMAN: Thank you for the website, but I really am looking for the Guillows's palns. If someone woould like to sell them, a copy or a complete kt please let me know.

Regards
Dave
UPLANDBOY is offline Find More Posts by UPLANDBOY
Old May 21, 2006, 12:51 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
This was my very first kit, back when I was 13. Unfortunately, my building skills were non existant. I gave it my best, and got if framed up, but nowhere close to being airworthy. Post some pics when it's all done, I would love to see what it is supposed to look like, now that twenty years have gone by.
Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:59 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
I'm looking for plans also
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2008
6 Posts
i'm working on this;]
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852966
ElniasG is offline Find More Posts by ElniasG
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Guillows Piper Tomahawk with TD Cox engine sell, parts?

I have a completed Guillows Piper Tomahawk currently with a TD .049 Cox engine installed. The plane has never successfully been flown. I acquired it will several ounces of lead added to the front cowl in a poor attempt to balance this scale plane. I removed the lead an due to low wing and oil found it hard to hand launch. I will be glad to send pictures and sell complete or parts. My email is gdoherty240@att.net if you are interested.
240toy is offline Find More Posts by 240toy