HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2005, 05:09 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
What to do? Sold and item.. buyer wants refund..

Ok guys-

Here's the deal..

I sold an item to a fellow on the boards here.. I alerted the buyer it was going to be a little late as I had just began an unplanned job relocation, the buyer was "ok" with the delay in shipping - well, halfway through the deal - the buyer basically decides he does not want/need the engine anymore, so he requests a refund and essentially tries to make out like he just wanted a refund becuase it was "late", and I say "late" because he and several others agreed to the the previous mentioned delay in shipping, anyhow - I move 600+ miles away and I leave the packages all at home to be shipped..

Anyway - he asks for a refund and I tell him I would love to give him a refund if the package has not left my house yet, so I call home to find out if it is is shipped, upon calling, I find the package has indeed been shipped.. THe buyer still requests several refunds and essentially bombards me with several e-mails daily trying to find out "Where his refund is.." I simply tell him I cannot offer a refund on an item that is no longer in my hands, I did however, tell him when he recieved the package, if he sent it directly back to me, without opening it, I would issue a prompt refund.. I thought that sounded fair..

Well, this has been going on for about 2 weeks - he has since filed a complaint with paypal against me and since my mother did not get a tracking number when she shipped the item (I didn't ask her to) paypal gives me 3 options..

1.) Refund the money
2.) Provide a tracking number
3.) Refund the money

So, obviously - from now on nothing gets mailed without a tracking number.. But here is the part that bothers me..

1.) The buyer claims the item has still not arrived
2.) His replies to me with requests for info on the arrival of the engine are answered very short and smugly.
3.) I am no longer getting even replies to my e-mails I am sending, when previously - when HE thought I was taking HIS money, he was all about 3 emails a day to me asking for a refund..

So, basically - Do I have any sort of recourse? I know I'm not going to be able to sue or anything, I'm not really worried about that, it's only over $80, but it's the principal - I want to prevent others from having such a wonderful expirence with this fellow..

So... what can I do? Any recourse??
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:04 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,247 Posts
I bet I know who you're dealing with - this scenario sounds all too familiar.

I learned the hard way that at this place, a trader rating - by itself - can easily mean just the opposite of what's been posted. This is, of course, just a part of life when you deal with the public - there will always be a rotten apple in the basket.

I've also learned that the trader rating administrator(s) will allow anyone who has never even posted a single reply to post negative feedback about someone they obviously have never done business with. So, you can easily create a bogus user name & then post negative feedback for anyone who has a user name. To me, that really seems irresponsible that the moderators allow this to happen.

But then . . . what am I doing to help out the moderators?

Nothing really, so, I guess I better just shut up and go flyin'.

Good luck with it - hope it turns out way better than the one bad transaction I had here.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jun 15, 2005, 09:15 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Give the guy his money back and chalk it up to a $80 lesson in tracking numbers. Your reputation and education are worth $80.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Jun 15, 2005, 09:24 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,047 Posts
Get to the post office and trace that package. It may well be lost. I guess you lose $80 but gain a good lesson. So be it.

Find out which club that guy belongs to. Write a letter to the president asking him to be on the look-out for your stolen engine. A member of ezone may fly with him....might be a little pressure but some is better than none.
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Jun 15, 2005, 09:54 PM
Joined Feb 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude
Give the guy his money back and chalk it up to a $80 lesson in tracking numbers. Your reputation and education are worth $80.
What he said. Pay the extra $$ for tracking numbers for everything. I go one step further and forward the number to the customer so they can track it themselves.

BTW: Out of hundreds of USPS and UPS packages I've dealt with, I actually had one that I know was shipped to me not show up. That's a first--and it was only shipped 30 miles--USPS/no tracker . I guess it really does happen, but it is very rare.

One scary thing; anyone else receive letters from your brokers saying account backup data sent via "secure" carrier has gone missing? Two brokers in the last month sent me this wonderful info.

Kurt
Fishnut is offline Find More Posts by Fishnut
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:00 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
How long was your delay in shipping?
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:35 AM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
I have had the post office lose 2 of my packages and its not fun. Luckily the guy I was dealing with was very cordial and allowed me to resend them. They had tracking numbers and when I reported it to the post office they stated I had no insurance on the package and therefore could do nothing. They stated I could file a complaint if I wished. Yea like that would get my loss in profit back!

I say the same about the club thing. Someone here has to know him and if he has new toys and they match your engine description then I say he is messin with you and is a guy we all need to know about so we make no sales to him.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:21 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
How long was your delay in shipping?
The delay in shipping is not paramount in the matter - he had no issue's with the delay..

Buzz- Would you mind PM'ing me about this guy and see if we're talking about the same guy? It sounds like we might - he has a very good feedback rating minus one negative - which is quite a big negative..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram