SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:36 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Rodent R3 - Build Thread

Well I was reading all of Steve's threads about the Rodents...

Higgins

Steve's OR

And then I went back and watched "Lift Ticket" again and I said, I gotta get me one of those!

I decided on the R3 because I think the beefier fuse will allow easier installation and access to equipment, and well, just to be different. So I emailed the man himself, turned out he had an R3 kit available and ready for shipping. Everybody seems to want the classic, legendary, awesome looking original Rodent. Go figure!

So a paypal and a couple business days later, here I am ready to build!

Since I've never sheeted wing cores before, or built a plane like this, I'm doing a build thread mostly to help myself out. There will be more questions asked than answered, so don't hold back with the criticism, I want this thing built right!

First off, I have this epoxy I'd like to use to sheet the wings. I've had good results with it on other things and I have a bunch of it! So somebody tell me if something else would be better.

-Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Last edited by Dunqun; Jun 21, 2005 at 03:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:45 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
That IS epoxy and not polyester resin, right? the poly will eat the cores is why I ask.

Well, get to building!!!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:48 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,985 Posts
I got an R-3 too. Love that beefy fuse.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:50 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLift
That IS epoxy and not polyester resin, right? the poly will eat the cores is why I ask.

Well, get to building!!!

label says epoxy system........tsssssss

b
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:55 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLift

Well, get to building!!!
Well, I hope it is, I didn't know about poly and blue foam. They have a different line of "Polyester Resins."

Bill, I hope "tssssss..." isn't the sound of my cores melting?

Here's from the Tap Plastics website, looks like I'm ok, is epoxy and contains no solvents:

Tap Epoxy
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,985 Posts
Thats the super-hard 4-into 1 system? I had ok success with it a few years ago on a set of wings, but I didnt mix it well enough so I had a spot where the sheeting lifted.
I plan on using Polyurethene on mine, probably probond. Make sure and reinforce the "ramp" ahead of the wings leading edge. Uh,..."if" you stick the nose in on a landing, and the wing pops the bolts and goes foreward, a layer of heavy glass and 1/8th ply inside the ramp will help preserve the fuse. Youre going to love how they fly. I flew mine last monday afternoon at Tick and it was great. Huge carving maneuvers, lots of vertical pop, loooong slow rolls. I had the slope to myself and it was amazing.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:04 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
No, this is the Marine Grade Epoxy system, I see the superhard is a different product.. I hope to avoid Probond because I used it on a foamy a while back and warped the foil.

Sounds like a winner of a plane, can't wait! I wish I had it today at Coyote hills, wind was a tad high for the Banana. Still flew great, but I was wishing for something heavier.

Thanks for the help,
Duncan
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:06 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Well what the hay, I'll slather some on some on the scap foam that came in the box and see what happens
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:07 PM
Pacifica, CA
Joined Jun 2004
424 Posts
I really like the Tap Marine grade epoxy. I like the viscosity of this resin, it seems to wet out cloth better than West System or EZ Lam. I personally use the fast hardener because it yields a harder surface finish.
Harry
Harry S. is offline Find More Posts by Harry S.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:11 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry S.
I really like the Tap Marine grade epoxy. I like the viscosity of this resin, it seems to wet out cloth better than West System or EZ Lam. I personally use the fast hardener because it yields a harder surface finish.
Harry
I did notice that the end result remains flexible, will this be an issue with skinning the cores? No big deal to pick up some fast hardener.

Thanks,
Duncan
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:57 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Ok, I got a pretty basic question not covered in the instructions:

Do I sheet the wing halves separately, then join them? If so how do I join them? Should I install a spar? As I recall, the Art Hobby planes don't have a spar, you just wrap some glass around the wing saddle to join the halves.

Thanks,
Duncan
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:02 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
No spar necessary. Sheet them separately, shape the LE on each panel, then join them with some heavy fg cloth tape or a couple of layers of heavy cloth.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:05 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunqun
I did notice that the end result remains flexible, will this be an issue with skinning the cores? No big deal to pick up some fast hardener.

Thanks,
Duncan

The resin should not remain flexible. Check your mixing, be sure it's exactly 1 to 1. You may need a warmer workshop to kick this stuff. I've had this same issue with this brand and I haven't quite figured out why. Sometimes it kicks perfectly and sometimes is stays gooey.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:20 AM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
The resin should not remain flexible. Check your mixing, be sure it's exactly 1 to 1. You may need a warmer workshop to kick this stuff. I've had this same issue with this brand and I haven't quite figured out why. Sometimes it kicks perfectly and sometimes is stays gooey.
Hmmm...maybe I'll pick up some fast hardener tomorrow. Have you used the slow or fast hardener with this brand? It says 2:1 resin to hardener, I measure it, not just eyeball it, but I'll be careful.

Thanks for the wing joining tips, sounds easy enough. Do you put any wood blocks inside the wing saddle for the bolt holes?

-Duncan
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:39 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,985 Posts
Blocks in the wing root for the bolts is a great idea. The wing bolts take a pounding in these things.