SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2005, 06:55 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Got my Rocket 3600 motor. Almost no cogging....(WOW, great motor!)

The price was right so I bit. I got a Rocket 3600 motor on sale for less the $ 39.99 shipped. Now that I have it, I did a cursory check and found that it had barely any cogging? A Johson 250 has more cogging than this motor. Ive had a B20, a Razor 300, a few MEGA 1615s, a few AXIs and all had cogging. Again, I did not expect to get much for the price, but I did expect it to have magnets. Should I be concerned?

bing
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Last edited by BING!; Jun 19, 2005 at 12:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BING!
The price was right so I bit. I got a Rocket 3600 motor on sale for less the $ 39.99 shipped. Now that I have it, I did a cursory check and found that it had barely any cogging? A Johson 250 has more cogging than this motor. Ive had a B20, a Razor 300, a few MEGA 1615s, a few AXIs and all had cogging. Again, I did not expect to get much for the price, but I did expect it to have magnets. Should I be concerned?

bing

Cogging or a lack of don't say much about the magnets. What counts is how it performs.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:58 PM
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
384 Posts
To the best of my knowledge most in runner type of motors do not have any cogging as there is no iron stator for the magnets to work against. I have both a Himax and E-flite which have absolutely no cogging.

I too have ordered the same motor and am looking forward to trying it out in my mini Funtana.
376782 is offline Find More Posts by 376782
Old Jun 14, 2005, 08:02 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
Ironless motors don't have any cogging. These include....

Kontronik inrunners and Tango
all hacker inrunners
feigao
Himax
great planes inrunner
millions of other cheap clones

Other motors may or may not have strong cogging depending on the magnet configuration. Usually low pole count motors have stonger cogging than high pole count varieties....so basically low cogging doesn't tell you anything about a motor.
DavidB. is offline Find More Posts by DavidB.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:51 PM
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.
Ironless motors don't have any cogging. These include....

Kontronik inrunners and Tango
all hacker inrunners
feigao
Himax
great planes inrunner
millions of other cheap clones

Other motors may or may not have strong cogging depending on the magnet configuration. Usually low pole count motors have stonger cogging than high pole count varieties....so basically low cogging doesn't tell you anything about a motor.
Actually to be correct only the Kontronik Tango are ironless. All the others you listed have iron stators. What they lack are stator teeth.

Steve
Old Jun 15, 2005, 03:24 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
I will solder on some connectors and do some tests. I am glad to find out that cogging is not an indicator of motor strength. Thanks people.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 02:01 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu
Actually to be correct only the Kontronik Tango are ironless. All the others you listed have iron stators. What they lack are stator teeth.
LOL, if you wanna get that picky then the Tango has iron too. It just rotates with the field eliminating iron losses other than those caused by harmonics. I'm not quite as clueless as you think
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:35 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
I finished soldering some connectors to the Rocket 3600 motor. Hooked it up to a Castle Creations 25, a Wattage EDF and a GP2200 10 cell pack as a power supply.

WOW! It hit 24.3 amps and that EDF was singing. Thanks STUFFWELIKE! Great motor.

This one is going in a turbo vector.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 01:40 AM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Quote:
....so basically low cogging doesn't tell you anything about a motor.
Amen to that...I have seen a lot of posts here lately about people saying "my motor cogs stronger so it is better" type of thing. It really means nothing...
ryanl2006 is offline Find More Posts by ryanl2006
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:18 AM
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
LOL, if you wanna get that picky then the Tango has iron too. It just rotates with the field eliminating iron losses other than those caused by harmonics. I'm not quite as clueless as you think
Picky ?? of then the Kontronik Tango is "iron lossless" --of the bunch it does not have stator laminations. All the others do.

Clueless--that is for you to decide--I did not make any such comment! You made the comment that the Hacker--etc were "ironless" which is wrong.

Steve
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:34 AM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
Ironless is commonly (incorrectly) used to mean any slotless motor. I should have said slotless, but my brain was somewhere else. I think I must like to argue when we clearly both know how each motor is constructed....although I don't make money selling superb BLDC motors, so that puts you in a class by yourself