Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:50 AM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
I bought some blue fanfold and......

Nope this is about heli's!

I recently purchased two Piccolos to give this part of R/C a ahhh.... Whirl!
I have had short flights in my office and a few in the driveway. I have been flying naked ( the heli not me) as I did not want to mess up the nice factory canopy. It felt like I would never get it down pat. I put it away for about a week and tried to figure out what my issue was with lack of control.
I would have it in a nice solid hover then away it would go and end in a crash. I realized it was the naked condition that gave me the trouble. It would move a good amount before I could see it and respond to maintain control. The all black mechanics and small size worked together to camo its movements.

The answer: next reply down.

Regards
Bill
Bsouthwell is offline Find More Posts by Bsouthwell
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2002, 11:04 AM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
Sorry ran out of room.

I have been building fixed wing planes out of blue fanfold foam. I built a quick little canopy that loosly resembled a Cobra gunship. I cut out two sides and then cut narrow cross pieces to join the sides. I left a lot open to the rear and slid it over the nose.
I made it wide enough for the canopy to slide all the way to the mast. easy battery changes and I left a good part of the top open for cooling motor and electronics.I made a tail fin biggger than the original and CA it to the boom.

I went to several web sites that had 3-views and blew up side views of my favorite helicopters to fit the Piccolo. The tail fin has proven to be durable and keeps the tail rotor off the ground.

The first flight went almost 2 min. ,second flight was even longer!!!! Tha bigger nose to focus on helped a huge amount. It telegraphed the heli's postion loud and clear.

Cheap and easy. very light and durable to boot.

Hope this helps a newbie or two.

Regards
Bill
Old Apr 18, 2002, 01:17 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Nice tip.

Visibility is a very important factor, especially when dealing with such a small machine. I also own a Piccolo (not built yet) and I will keep this info in mind. Although I'll simply put on the canopy and risk it.

To me it is A LOT easier to fly my Eco (which is way bigger) with the canopy on than without it. It improves your reflexes... Now if the canopy makes a difference on the Eco, then imagine what it can do to the Piccolo. Good luck!

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:03 PM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
here is a pic of the Pic-obra
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:05 PM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
Here it is from the rear.
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:18 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
A natural micro heli pilot!!!

Already making his own parts. Thumbs up!

Cheers
JB
johntbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johntbyrne
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:36 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
That is very true. I was having lots of problems flying my hornet when I first got it. I couldn't keep it steady and it frequently got away from me. For some reason I put the canopy on it and INSTANTLY my hovers became more stable and the heli seemed easier to control. From then on I always try to fly with the canopy especially in wind.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Apr 19, 2002, 01:40 PM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
I seems that it half the battle to be able to note minute changes in attitude to have successful flight.
Paul Goelz made a great suggestion on the Piccolo BBS. He used white trim tape on the out board 2" of the rotor blades and then red & blue stripes on top of the white. He said you could do one blade one color and the other a different color to aid in tracking the blades. I would look cool too!

Regards
Bill
Old Apr 19, 2002, 02:36 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Is that a hand made head stiffener also? How did you make it? Thanks!
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Apr 19, 2002, 03:10 PM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
Head stiffiner

Hi,

I had some G10 1/8" Thick that I cut 1/4" wide X 2 3/16" long. Then used a bare head to mark the bolt holes. I drilled it out for clearance on 4-40 bolts. I taped the rotor head for 4-40. Then with 4 nylon 4-40 washers per side I bolted it together. So far so good!

Regards
Bill