ilaurencet01 is offline Find More Posts by ilaurencet01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2005, 07:32 AM
Netherlands
Joined Jan 2005
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE
Hi all, I just got 1 at TOYS-R-US in Adelaide $40 ozzy its in thier latest cattle dog...its called R/C X-Twin by Silverlit electronics...made in CHINA
has a web site on the box www.silverlit-flyingclub.com , I havnt been there yet
There is 2 models , a biplane, and a single wing...27 MHz..am waiting for low wind to fly
I will test glide it to check the glide/C.G. , looks good, will report back on flyt results
The glide is very bad, it realy needs some trust from the motors or it will drop out of the sky like a brick.
But u only have to apply the trottle to position 2 or 3 to keep it in level flight.
I'm looking for the single wing version but can't find it around here.

Mark.
Whacky is offline Find More Posts by Whacky
Old Jul 09, 2005, 07:47 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Hmmmm. So full throttle (into the wind?) gets you nose up and biting at a stall? What happens if you snap full right or left at that point? Sounds like that part of it might have some fun potential.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Jul 09, 2005, 09:04 AM
Netherlands
Joined Jan 2005
107 Posts
It won't stall that easy. As for turning tap the controll, it can turn at a very small circle but it looses height quickly so try it when at altitude.
And don't worry about braking it, it's indestructable (almost) i had a few crashes from 20 feet up nose down onto the pavemant and nothing broke!

BTW i found the single wing version of it with batterys for 25euro.
here it is.
have to wait for the wind to go down to make a test flight.
length 23cm
wingspann 23cm
weight 18grams

Mark.
Old Jul 09, 2005, 09:18 AM
Paderborn, Europe
Joined Oct 2004
99 Posts
At throttle position 2..3 i can keep this tiny plane in level fight. The most stable flight pattern i get is in sharp left or righ turns. Flying an 8 or so is no problem, but after releasing the stick, it's hopping like a rabbit .

After a close look at the Rx, the two motors are driven by two pnp ( i think 2SB624, marking code: BV5 ) transistors. My idea is to place an actuator between both motor output poles for rudder control.

Rolf

PS. today i found a single wing version at toysRus (must wait for calm weather conditions)
RolfPW is offline Find More Posts by RolfPW
Old Jul 09, 2005, 10:40 AM
Netherlands
Joined Jan 2005
107 Posts
RolfPW,

The "hopping" is caused by the fact that the plane looses height and goes into a dive. Now it will try to recover but does this to much and the plane stalls, now all off this will repeat itself until u add some trottle to get into level flight. This usualy points out to a tail heavy plane.

Try to add some nose weight (i used a M5 washer) and tape it somewhere between the nose and the wing (experiment).
This will reduce the hopping.

Mark.
Last edited by Whacky; Jul 09, 2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2005, 04:29 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Whacky,... the silver/ blue single wing is wot i've got and the "hopping" is called stalling , yes it needs some nose weight , even if you get a faster glide , you dont want it to stall... hope to fly mine today
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:34 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
well I flu it today...lucky there was just about no wind , I drilled a 4mm hole in the top front, and taped in a bit of lead about 4mm square.
It has a range of around 30m...went out of range first flyt
Very touchy to elevator trim...bent in 2mm up, with the ally tape
Flyt aim is to keep it overhead
I am going to make a bigger wing out of depron/meat tray with more dihedral..around 30cm, and a bigger stab and fin...BTW, if you stay with the stock setup, glue the fin to stab and tail support , Im using GWS glue put on with a toothpick.
recharge after every flyt over 1.5 min...liop's dont like to discharge till flat
TTFN
Old Jul 10, 2005, 06:57 AM
Netherlands
Joined Jan 2005
107 Posts
I did not have the perfect conditions for a test flight but you say the single wing version also needs some nose weight wright!

I bought the blue blue wing becouse it has the C-frequency and the Bipe has the A-frequency so my girlfriend and i can fly together.

I usualy recharge the battery when there is a decrease in flight power, the first min. the power is strong, than it flattens out for a long time and then the power decreases again. U will notice this when u have to apply more trottle to keep it in level flight.
This is the time i stop and recharge the battery.

Mark.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 08:49 AM
Paderborn, Europe
Joined Oct 2004
99 Posts
Did a mod at the tail section of the single wing x-twin. I have removed the rudder and elevator section, by carefully pulling them out of the holder. After that, i have cut the black tail pipe, that only 7mm stands out of the body. Then i sticked one drinking straw over the remaining pipe (fitt's perfectly) and glued the rudder and elevator section onto the straw with double sided adhesive.This mod saves around 600mg at the tail and with very litte epoxy at the joint point of rudder and elevator it's as stable as before. 1'st flight tests in my living room shows me only a little bit nose up tendency. Waiting for the wind goes down,
Rolf
Old Jul 10, 2005, 01:03 PM
VIC, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
3 Posts
Charging problem...

Hi all,
I bought the single wing version yesterday. I tested it today although it is a bit windy. It performs well and is funny.
However,I have problem in the charging function..It is that after about 10 min flight, I charge the plane. However, sometimes when I want to charge the plane, the green light(charge light) doesn't on or sometime the green light doesn't turn off automatically even after 1 hour charging time. Do u thing there is some problem in my controller or do I need to use the other new 6 AA batteries for the controller?

How long u guys can play usually ? I did experiment, the motor can run continuously (at mid throttle) for about 10 min for every 30 min charge...But the charging time is so long I think, do u think so ?

Is it any difference (in term of control difficultity and feeling) between bi-wing and single wing version ?

Would anyone please tell me what is "M5 washer" ?

Fwing
fwing is offline Find More Posts by fwing
Old Jul 10, 2005, 01:26 PM
Paderborn, Europe
Joined Oct 2004
99 Posts
@fwing,
"How long u guys can play usually ?"
Best time with the biplane was around 14.5 minutes. (at 15 to 30 mph wind speed i can't test the single wing)
"the green light doesn't turn off"
mostly it's a sign, that your 6 AAA batteries are down
"the green light(charge light) doesn't on"
may be it's a contact problem
happy flying
Rolf
Old Jul 10, 2005, 04:06 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Fwing, use a bit of lead and tape to hold it in...much neater than taping a washer on.
Thats the reason I recharge after most flyts...it does'nt take so LONG and is BETTER for the LIPO battery. Im using rechagable NIMH aa's in my transmitter 2700ah
ROLFPW, I think you will find that the straw will bend where it joins to the plane. ..you might have to glue some extra bit of straw over that join...I try to use the K.I.S.S. system.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 04:11 PM
Netherlands
Joined Jan 2005
107 Posts
My flighttime is between 10 and 15min.

A M5 washer is a washer with a hole for a M5 bolt (see Picture).
You can also use a small screw or these leadballs fisherman use etc.
It's just something i had lying around and i'm to lazy to change it.

About your charging problem, seems like al loose contact somewhere. Try new battery's or return it for another one.

30 mins seems long but this meens that the battery is charged with 2 times its capacity and i don't think they can handle any more than this. Mine takes about 20min on new batterys.

Mark.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:15 AM
VIC, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
3 Posts
Thanks for u guys' reply and analyse my problem.
Mark, thanks for showing me the M5 washer image. You have both the biplane and single wing version. Do u think they are different in controlling or feeling?
I did a few flights today although it is not a fine and sunny day. the longest flight was about 17-18 min! I start to get used to it. I have try some "advanced" flights such as flying my x-twin babe in very low altitude. Also, I did a few vertical loops today(just fully throttle against the head wind, make it stall and it can loop automatically...fun!), it really funny and amazing that such simple little toys can do such "advanced" action in the air!! I like to fly it just above my head and hover it to write 8 or 0 character just above my head....
Although x-twin belongs to toys level R/C plane, it needs technique and little aerodynamic concept(struggle with the wind) to play it well, such things are not the kids can do and enjoy.....Ha ! too serious ?!
Now, i want to test my babe indoor to see any big diff with the outdoor environment, but I don't know where to find a large room or hall to fly...

Come on! let's share your x-twin experiences....
fwing is offline Find More Posts by fwing