HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2005, 08:33 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
I'm getting about 10 minutes, before needing to up the throttle past almost off to stay level, then I recharge. My nimh's are about 1.48 fresh charged, so alkalines would give a boost. Has anyone had luck with adding an extra cell or 2 to the tx? I saw someone mention it, but he was using it as a charger only, and don't think he explained how it was done. Would the extra voltage help in range also possibly? I'm very pleased with my replacement, it has better range and will take a full charge.

Todd
savydad is offline Find More Posts by savydad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2005, 09:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
the only mod I did to the tx was to take out the spring in the throttle..and I made a screw for the battery lid that can be taken on /off by hand..if your looking for better range..all you need to do is lengthen the rx /antenna...big improvement...the 1 mod I would like to do {but am not savy enuff} is to make the left/right function proportional into 8 levels...instead of the 1 that is only possible now...
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Oct 04, 2005, 09:32 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,237 Posts
Two new things to report...

1)I flew in my living room for the first time...pretty scary...had to keep a turn at all times... made three rounds and then hit something....tried again several times with about the same results. Probably flies too fast for indoors.

2) I found the antenna. If you take the rudder/elevator plastic assembly and twist gently the glue bond will break. Pull back and it comes off. The antenna is in the boom and sticks out about an inch...I read in the mod forum also about lengthening the antenna so i soldered on about 15cm of 30 ga wire as i have had reception issues over about 100 feet. I then glued the boom back on.

Hopefully will try her outside tonight if the wind dies down.
Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Last edited by poulsbobill; Oct 04, 2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2005, 09:54 PM
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2005
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadL
Not all Lipos are created equally
I charge my Kokam 20Cs at 2C rate all the time. Kokam have stated unofficially they can be charged up to 3C. Batteries are getting improved all the time and new 20Cs can take high charging current. The problem is cell balancing that's why they don't recommend more than 1C for multi cell packs. But in case of single cell it is non issue
The lipo in the plane is a fullriver not a kokam I wonder there's any driffence?
vener is offline Find More Posts by vener
Old Oct 04, 2005, 10:00 PM
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Where sould the CG be?

I have added some weight to the front, however it still seems to stall. Can anyone tell me where the CG sould be at?

thanks.
Binh is offline Find More Posts by Binh
Old Oct 04, 2005, 10:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
man,,,I sure would liek to attempt the tx mod..that allows 8 increments of left/right steering..just not sure of what alll I need to buy..and what gets soldered where..
Old Oct 04, 2005, 10:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
if you look on the ends of the top wing..you will see 5 star like perforations in the wing..I have found the 2nd star from the leading edge is a good c.g...stk it seems to be at the 3rd star..but mine flys great at the 2nd..
Old Oct 06, 2005, 12:23 AM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,144 Posts
Rumme,

That looks about right to me. My CG is just in between the 2nd and 3rd top wing mold marks and it does tend to porpoise, but I like the slower flight characteristic.

From eyeballing the wings and averaging what looks like the center of lift is on both wings (considering the swept back wings), looks like the CG would be just behind the 2nd star pattern mold mark on the top wing, but a little forward CG makes it more stable as you have found using the 2nd star back. Disclaimer: I'm not an Aerodynamic engineer, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Probably a good CG range would be between the 2nd star and halfway back to the 3rd star. Once in this range, use a little down elevator to dampen the porpoising. These planes do have a high angle of wing incidence. Also depends on ones flight preference.

Rob
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Oct 06, 2005, 12:56 AM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,144 Posts
One more thing,

This airplane is one the best $30 I've ever spent! Can't believe how well they fly for the price and they're indestructible!

I demo'd the airplane to my workmates (of whom have no RC airplane experience) and two of them went out (to Toys r us) and bought one, now they're hooked!

Shouldn't we let the the Parkflyers, or Foamies, or Beginners forums know about this? Or, should we keep it our little secret (I vote for the latter - want to buy more).

Rob
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Oct 07, 2005, 10:45 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,237 Posts
Got a chance to fly outdoors tonight and the range is now about 150 feet with the added antenna. Probably is more but thats about as far as i can get it out and still see it... lol. So i guess thats far enough!!

After i pulled the tail boom off to get to the antenna i have tried flying it with the tail boom off center slighly to see if this changes the turning radius. I seem to fly even on left turns and dive slightly on right turns. Seeing if the tail boom off center (not perpendicular to the boom) will correct this. A minor problem but something to tinker with.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
has anyone else measured the voltage of the stk battery after it has been fully charged off the transmitter charger {with a fresh set of batteries} ..mine came in at 4.02 volts...id imagine using a home charger to get it to the 4.2volts full charge would yield more power and more flying time...I just charged mine up to 4.2volts..and will fly it tommorow if it isnt to windy...I was getting around 10 minutes flying time on the 4.02 v charge..im still waiting for my 240 mah -1s lipo to come in the mail..hopefully the plane can handle the additional weight..since I took of the bottom wing and sanded down my fuselage to make it a bit lighter..
Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:51 PM
Full Throttle and No Regrets!
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
are these available in us internet or stores, couldnt find them.

rcstation.com 30 dollars to ship to the US .
MeBluEyz99 is offline Find More Posts by MeBluEyz99
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:23 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
Toys R Us - almost all stores have them now, including the very small one in my suburb of Indianapolis

Todd
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:39 PM
Full Throttle and No Regrets!
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
doesnt come up on there website brings me to amazon.com but not there
MeBluEyz99 is offline Find More Posts by MeBluEyz99
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:00 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
Go to the store, they have them. The website does not list them, but they are there. Haven't seen anyone having luck with m/o.

Todd